+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Social media and teens

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Genuine question can you stop someone else sharing a photo you share with them on Facebook?
    Yes you can. There are settings where you have to approve anyone who tries to share anything that you have posted. Well there were last time I checked.

ETA and you can also set it up to approve whether someone can tag you in a picture or not. If they can't tag you then your friends can't see that picture unless it's a mutual friend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    The OP has posted a provocative photo of her kid (as yes I stand by my assessment that it's provocative - anyone who thinks there is not an element of look-at-me is in serious denial ) on an online forum with a bunch of anonymous members. Members can easily be id'd via any combination of 2? Or more of the following
    - postcode in profile
    - mentioning kids names in profile or in a thread
    - mentioning they have an interest in a vague-ish group (eg church or charity fund-raising)
    - detail about the type of birth they had
    - mentioning whether their kid goes to public or private school

The list goes on.

As mentioned I've stumbled across the ID's of several BH users based on 'innocent' information provided. I've also witnessed first hand adult males successfully soliciting underage teenage girls online. Not directly connecting the two (BH and pedo's) however IMO there is more that enough worrying behavior out there to warrant not posting personal details willy nilly.
    To put 2 and 2 together on some of those things means you would have to be trawling the Internet for hours or be a long standing member like yourself.

I'm not denying there is an online danger, I'm saying there's bigger fish to fry.

Seriously, do you really think the online threat is bigger than real life? Because statistics tell us otherwise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I believe the school gets the boys to sign codes of conduct which they treat as "contracts" between the school and the kids and between the kids themselves. They are no legal documents obviously but they are trying to get the kids to agree to certain behaviours upfront.

I know because my son who is a prep has one in his classroom. It's very basic and they haven't signed it obviously but the teacher constantly refers to it if the boys aren't nice to each other.

This is one of the most expensive schools here so if there were murky grounds the parents would have challenged the decision but they sucked it up.

I'm talking myself into banning my kids from social media until they're 30!!!
    I'm familiar with contracts lots of schools use them and lots of parents challenge them too especially when it's related to an out of school behaviour. I'm not saying that it's not enforceable or anything like that just that it's not as straight forward even with codes of conduct, contracts etc... But, in saying that private schools definitely have more clout when it comes to discipline, detention, expulsion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Social media and teens

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Seriously, do you really think the online threat is bigger than real life? Because statistics tell us otherwise.
    Not saying that at all. Just saying there are enough dirty perverts online (including on BH) to justify not posting provocative photos of your kids willy nilly.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (30-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Yes you can. There are settings where you have to approve anyone who tries to share anything that you have posted. Well there were last time I checked.

ETA and you can also set it up to approve whether someone can tag you in a picture or not. If they can't tag you then your friends can't see that picture unless it's a mutual friend.
    But they can still save the photo or screen shot it and do what they like after that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (29-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Not saying that at all. Just saying there are enough dirty perverts online (including on BH) to justify not posting provocative photos of your kids willy nilly.
    But to me (and statistically) the risk of my children being harmed that way is minuscule compared to my children being abused by their uncle or their footy coach etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    And for me that's part of the problem. Some kids would be friends with maybe 30 other kids? School friends and friends through sport etc. They share photos and they have no idea who sees them after that.

So all the strictest controls in the world can't control where photos end up.
    Actually, I often come across students/former students on Facebook, and if I see them I will click on their profile to see how good their settings are (and if they are **** I tell them). They almost always have at least 500 'friends'. It's terrifying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Actually, I often come across students/former students on Facebook, and if I see them I will click on their profile to see how good their settings are (and if they are **** I tell them). They almost always have at least 500 'friends'. It's terrifying.
    That's what I would have expected too.

And I'm not really worried about "dirty old men". My immediate concern for my kids is they do something really stupid and it comes back to hurt them at school or they make fools of themselves. That worries me more. The rest of it is a problem I agree but i guess my mind hadn't really gone there.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

harvs  (29-03-2016),Wise Enough  (29-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I agree totally @Sonja.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    And just to clarify when I say I'm not really worried about dirty old men of course I am. It's just not where my mind immediately goes.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (30-03-2016)