+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Another anecdote

One of the boys at a high school here posted a photo on Facebook that had his mum in it. She is apparently very pretty. A few boys commented on the photo about her and the link was shared far and wide.

The outcome was any boy who commented about her appearance was suspended for 2 weeks. Any boy who liked the photo had detention for 2 weeks.

These are by all accounts nice normal kids. We heard this via friends whose son is part of the group of friends but thankfully as he's not on Facebook didn't see it.

Such serious outcomes for kids doing something they would see as quite normal. But now it's online for the world to see.
    That's such a grey area, schools punishing for out of school behaviours. But I'm wondering if the comments were derogatory? How can they give detention for liking a photo?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I'm thinking I'm missing something.

I couldn't give two hoots if some dirty old perv knocked one out to a photo of my teenage girl. Yes it is gross, but not hurting anyone in the slightest.

Plenty of other things to be more concerned about in regards to teenagers.
    Sorry but wtf... The online threat is real. It's easy to ID someone online nowdays... I've ID'd multiple people on BH over the past year due to information they have given out over several posts.

Sorry but the inly thing I can say to this post is wtf.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (29-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    That's such a grey area, schools punishing for out of school behaviours. But I'm wondering if the comments were derogatory? How can they give detention for liking a photo?
    Because they were liking the comments. Sorry I'm not Facebook savvy.

Schools can and do get involved in this. We've had a few examples of kids posting abhorrent comments on other people's social media and the school gets involved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Because they were liking the comments. Sorry I'm not Facebook savvy.

Schools can and do get involved in this. We've had a few examples of kids posting abhorrent comments on other people's social media and the school gets involved.
    Oh got it! Sorry I thought you meant for liking the photo. They do get involved but it's still pretty murky when navigating it from the schools pov.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Sorry but wtf... The online threat is real. It's easy to ID someone online nowdays... I've ID'd multiple people on BH over the past year due to information they have given out over several posts.

Sorry but the inly thing I can say to this post is wtf.
    Identified them for what? Name? Address?

Put your children's Facebook profile on the strictest settings - even profile pictures. Make sure you have access to your children's passwords and that they are only friends with people they know.

I'm hoping you accompany your kids at all times, never leave them with a male friend or relative, don't let them play footy as their coach could be a perv. This is a much more bigger threat to your kids than some creep online.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Oh got it! Sorry I thought you meant for liking the photo. They do get involved but it's still pretty murky when navigating it from the schools pov.
    I believe the school gets the boys to sign codes of conduct which they treat as "contracts" between the school and the kids and between the kids themselves. They are no legal documents obviously but they are trying to get the kids to agree to certain behaviours upfront.

I know because my son who is a prep has one in his classroom. It's very basic and they haven't signed it obviously but the teacher constantly refers to it if the boys aren't nice to each other.

This is one of the most expensive schools here so if there were murky grounds the parents would have challenged the decision but they sucked it up.

I'm talking myself into banning my kids from social media until they're 30!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Put your children's Facebook profile on the strictest settings - even profile pictures. Make sure you have access to your children's passwords and that they are only friends with people they know.

I'm hoping you accompany your kids at all times, never leave them with a male friend or relative, don't let them play footy as their coach could be a perv. This is a much more bigger threat to your kids than some creep online.
    Genuine question can you stop someone else sharing a photo you share with them on Facebook?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Social media and teens

The OP has posted a provocative photo of her kid (as yes I stand by my assessment that it's provocative - anyone who thinks there is not an element of look-at-me is in serious denial ) on an online forum with a bunch of anonymous members. Members can easily be id'd via any combination of 2? Or more of the following
    - postcode in profile
    - mentioning kids names in profile or in a thread
    - mentioning they have an interest in a vague-ish group (eg church or charity fund-raising)
    - detail about the type of birth they had
    - mentioning whether their kid goes to public or private school

The list goes on. Locational information suchc as addresses can easily be obtained in most cases via various online tools (if someone was interested).

As mentioned I've stumbled across the ID's of several BH users based on 'innocent' information provided. I've also witnessed first hand adult males successfully soliciting underage teenage girls online. Not directly connecting the two (BH and pedo's) however IMO there is more that enough worrying behavior out there to warrant not posting personal details willy nilly.
    Last edited by VicPark; 29-03-2016 at 21:24.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (30-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Social media and teens

Genuine question can you stop someone else sharing a photo you share with them on Facebook?
    I think people can share it. You can also save photos that people put up, which is why my friends list on Facebook is small and privacy strict.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I think people can share it. You can also save photos that people put up, which is why my friends list on Facebook is small and privacy strict.
    And for me that's part of the problem. Some kids would be friends with maybe 30 other kids? School friends and friends through sport etc. They share photos and they have no idea who sees them after that.

So all the strictest controls in the world can't control where photos end up.