+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving house before baby arrives

Hi everyone, looking for some advice from personal experience when it comes to moving home before baby arrives.

Although we did plan to move into a bigger place early next year when our lease at our apartment comes to an end, I'm worried we're wanting to move before the birth mostly because parents are coming to visit from overseas and we currently only have a small 2 bedroom place. I think that it's going to be stressful and the last thing we need to be worrying about. We would probably move 30-45min away for more affordable options so don't want to move before 32 weeks because I don't want to have to change hospitals.

Our mothers can't afford to pay for their own accommodation so either we pay (if we win the lotto!) or we put a king single in the baby's room and baby sleeps in our room for the first couple months, which we would probably do anyway.

We are choosing to take the first 2 weeks to ourselves to get accustomed to life as parents, I don't want to spoil it with the stress of preparing a new place for guests but could it be more stressful being cramped in a small place?

What has been your experience with moving?
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Moving house before baby arrives

I've had no problems with moving prior to babies arrival, we actually moved interstate when I was pregnant with our 3rd and moved to a bigger house with our 4th.
    In saying that, we did it because it was necessary. I wouldn't put yourself out just because you are having visitors. If you're comfortable where you are, stay there.
    As for guests after bub, it really depends what they are like and what you are like as a mother. I never wanted any help, others love help but I'm pretty controlling and like things done they way I want. When I had my daughters we said no to visitors staying. I know my in laws would have tried to tell me how to do things there way and overstep if they had stayed. Depending on how they are would depend on the space I need between them and yourself. Do you think you'll need space? Do you really want to move for yourself or just for a few weeks of visitors?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I moved at 30 weeks. It was awful. I was in so much pain from my pelvic instability, I was exhausted and overwhelmed. I had constant Braxton hicks. I was trying to pack, but ended up sitting on the floor of my kitchen, crying and crying..

We moved from a first floor apartment to a third floor. Neither building had elevators. I was in so much pain, I spent the next two weeks in bed. I couldn't walk at all. But I must have gone up and down those stairs one hundred times.

So, my advice, don't do it yourself. Enlist family and friends, or better yet, pay movers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you don't HAVE to move beforehand (eg. Lease is not up) then don't. Just put a single into bub's room and keep bub in a bassinet in your room. If you have room for a change table in the bathroom or laundry, put it in there, that way you won't need to go into bub's room (where your mum will be sleeping) overnight.

The main reason I would leave it is because once bub is here, especially once they start crawling, your perspective on what you want/need in a property will change. If you move before, you may discover the new place is completely impractical.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would probably move before hand. I simply could not cope with tge stress of sleeping arrangements in a small place. I would personally want a dedicated baby and guest room even if bubs is in a bassinette in yr room. Moving with a new baby was stressful...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I moved twice when pregnant with number 2. Once at about 12 weeks and again at 32 weeks. Obviously it wasn't great but it wasn't that bad either. I packed most things up myself but had removalists do all the actual moving. Certainly had a good clear out both times. Our moves were in adjoining suburbs so didn't have any impact on birthing at my hospital of choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I moved when I was half way with #1

Thanks
    Reviews
    I moved at 35 weeks along and had to changes hospitals too as I didn't want to drive 2 hrs in labour back to my old suburb to give birth. It was annoying but fine. I haven't moved with a young child however can imagine that would be worse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've moved while pregnant and also with a baby (7 months old).

I found pregnant much easier than with a baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for the great input!

Some valid points to consider like our needs before and after a baby, and moving with a baby being worse than moving pregnant. I will never move again without paying someone to do it! I despise it!

I'm very ready to be a mom, have always joked that I've been ready since I was 10 haha! Have helped raise younger half siblings and have done au pair work with a newborn before so very comfortable and don't feel I need my mom for that kind of help. Will be great to have her help with cleaning and cooking, which I know she will do gladly. So it wouldn't be like having a visitor/guest at all, and my mom is so fuss-free!

So maybe we start looking closer to the time and see what pops up, if nothing really worth the effort then we wait. Is a 40min drive to the hospital an issue if I move but choose to stay with my same hospital? First baby so labour may be longer than usual I suspect...