+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I personally dont find that removal of privelages works for my kids at this age. She's screaming because she wants mummy, mummy says no ipad for a week, she doesnt give a sh!t about the ipad right now, because right now she just wants mummy. She will worry about the ipad tomorrow I also did the pop in & out method, & now I will tell DD a story (usually in the loungeroom,so I am only with her in her room for a short time), do teeth, & tuck her into bed. She can have a couple of books in her bed if she wants, we have lullaby music on, & we leave the hallway light on. I say 'I just need to do xyz & will come back when I'm done'. I'll return 15 mins later & she's usually asleep. Night wakings I will lay with her for a minute,but have also put a mattress on the floor next to my bed when she went through a 'nightmare' phase. I've also done audio stories before when she has trouble settling her mind for sleep.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (28-03-2016)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Following! @A-Squared I could have written your post word for word. I'm with you, have been battling the exact same issue here for 6 months.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (29-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I personally dont find that removal of privelages works for my kids at this age. She's screaming because she wants mummy, mummy says no ipad for a week, she doesnt give a sh!t about the ipad right now, because right now she just wants mummy. She will worry about the ipad tomorrow I also did the pop in & out method, & now I will tell DD a story (usually in the loungeroom,so I am only with her in her room for a short time), do teeth, & tuck her into bed. She can have a couple of books in her bed if she wants, we have lullaby music on, & we leave the hallway light on. I say 'I just need to do xyz & will come back when I'm done'. I'll return 15 mins later & she's usually asleep. Night wakings I will lay with her for a minute,but have also put a mattress on the floor next to my bed when she went through a 'nightmare' phase. I've also done audio stories before when she has trouble settling her mind for sleep.
    Oh the iPad threat was before I started leaving her to sleep on her own. It was when I was still rubbing her back to go to sleep and re-settling every night and sometimes laying on her floor. That's what I had been doing the last 2-3 months. At first she did cry out for me, but most recently (well over a month) she doesn't cry, just comes in to get me. When I ask her in the morning why she told me she just wanted to see me - not a good enough reason to wake me!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (29-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    You know your kids better than anyone so please don't take this as criticism because it's not. It's just my thoughts after 4 kids.

We create their sleep environment. We do things that help them go to sleep. The problem I have with settling older kids is it takes them longer and longer to go to sleep. When I first started staying with my son he would fall asleep in a few minutes. Now it can take half an hour. So I have to plan my night around that. And some nights it just ----- me off no end. Other nights I don't mind.

My daughter who is 2 currently takes a few minutes of settling. In a year or so it will be longer. I feel like I've spent about 1000000000 hours settling my kids since my eldest was born over 10 years ago.

But this is all on DH and me. So if we want to change it we have to do it slowly. I imagine if I had a friend drop around every morning for coffee at 10 am. Every day for 2 years. Then suddenly she stopped coming and just told me no she wasn't coming any more. I'd be confused and devastated as I'd come to rely on that.

I try and imagine that's how my older kids feel too.

Anyway I'm rambling but I guess what I'm trying to say is it may take her longer to adjust as she's had you for longer. And that's ok you're not failing at it if it does.
    So many yes's.

I want to add. a lot but I won't.....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there, not sure if this would work, but how about slowly starting to do last activities and patting outside the bedroom eg darkened lounge room, and then walk into bedroom and say goodnight. I know this wont happen overnight. I have found the thing that works for us is no stimulation (reading, playing with toys) in their room at bedtime. The association with their room at night is sleep. I found they wouldn't go to sleep and kept stretching the limits as they got ilder because they got used to it and wanted more and more. Now, we have a cuddle, read a book etc in the lounge then walk to bed, no lights on, say goodnight and walk out. Just an idea...