+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I have to explain things to people that they otherwise won't understand all the time, so adult or child I try to find an analogy they will understand.

I suppose one way I might explain it to my child...

You know how when we cook a cake, we put certain ingredients together in order to make it? Well our brain is kind of like that... in order for it to be the perfect cake, there are several different ingredients in there.

Now imagine we're making a cake... and we forget the milk. It'll probably still be a cake... but it will be a little different. It might not be as fluffy or as soft as it should be.

Sometimes people's brains are a bit like a cake that is missing milk - it still works, but it's not exactly how it's supposed to be. Sometimes this can mean people end up sad, or angry, or have trouble doing certain things or understanding things... just as the cake has trouble being nice and fluffy without milk.

Some kids might not get that, but similar explanations seem to work for my daughter. I've always explained things like that to her.
    I really like this..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Haha.. Nope. Wish I was! I'm an only child so no siblings to share the load unfortunately. How do you cope??
    Mine has died but man can i tell you stories

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you looked at the Black Dog books? Not sure of the age of the children but I know I used these with my nieces as young teenagers as their mum has borderline personality disorder and depression.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    Thank you so much everyone, what fantastic replies. I will have to have a read through again when I can concentrate better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    Are you my sister. Sounds like the same mum
    My mums a hoarder too. We could be related but I think I'm an only child 😜

Is there any info on headspace?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you my sister. Sounds like the same mum
    My mums a hoarder too. We could be related but I think I'm an only child 😜

Is there any info on headspace?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @monnie24
    I grew up in one of these house where you did not want to invite anyone inside. As a kid if mum wanted to tidy up for apprarances (her dad and her nana were visiting) she eould pay me for every garbage bag I filled with stuff frim off the floor and round the house. I would get a shovel and scoop stuff off the floor.

All the bags would get put in one room and I would take the door handle off so no one cold open the door.

When I was about 15 I got my own room and it was the knly clean room in the house besides the toilet and bathroom.
    Last edited by DaveTTC; 27-03-2016 at 08:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have always told kiddo that something is not working properly in the brain and it can make people really sick. He understood that and is 8 years old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @monnie24
    I grew up in one of these house where you did not want to invite anyone inside. As a kid if mum wanted to tidy up for apprarances (her dad and her nana were visiting) she eould pay me for every garbage bag I filled with stuff frim off the floor and round the house. I would get a shovel and scoop stuff off the floor.

All the bags would get put in one room and I would take the door handle off so no one cold open the door.

When I was about 15 I got my own room and it was the knly clean room in the house besides the toilet and bathroom.
    Basically the same. My mum still lives like this. It gives me anxiety. She even has her car the same now I bought her a car and she's ruined it with food etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Basically the same. My mum still lives like this. It gives me anxiety. She even has her car the same now I bought her a car and she's ruined it with food etc
    I feel your pain