+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Paediatrician thinks DD has developmental delays not ASD.

So we finally saw a paed and she was quite certain that DD (2 yrs 11 months) doesn't have ASD. She scored a 26 on the CARS test so showed some traits but certainly not enough to consider ASD. The appointment was almost 1 hour and she went into a lot of detail. DD was in the room the whole time and the paed said she doesn't strike her at all as a child with ASD. She puts her 'quirky' behavior down to mainly language delays. she has some gross motor skill delays also (she just learnt to jump recently for eg).
    We've already got her in speech therapy and the paed has suggested gymbaroo or kindergym to help develop some of her skills. She was in playgroup but I have an 8 week old DS so we will go back again next term also. She has severe separation anxiety and is generally an anxious kid.
    She's enrolled for preschool next year but I don't think she will be ready.
    I'm not really sure where this leaves me? What else can I do to prepare her and catch her up somewhat? I'm worried she could be behind for a long time. Other kids her age seem to be progressing so much faster so she just gets further and further behind. I want to do everything I can but not sure what else I can do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Following...to return....

Why did you see a paed in the first place? Sorry if I've missed your posts in other forums.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have an ASD son and a daughter that is about to go through assessment (as well as two other children) so from my experience I would suggest maybe just touching base with an OT or even a psych (I would go OT first though) in regards to the anxiety and other behavioural issues. They would be able to help you come up with some solutions to things. Your GP should be able to give you a referral.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Paediatrician thinks DD has developmental delays not ASD.

Daycare a couple of days per week... Even if not for long days. Consistent socialization. Other kids to watch. Other adults who learn to know your child and can put their behavior into perspective. Gives yourself a break too (especially with bub nr 2)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (25-03-2016),Steph12  (22-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If there are speech/language delays then a OT can help. Maybe a psych? How does she interact with other kids?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would put her in childcare 3x a week.

Touch base with a OT, speechy & psych. Why didn't he refer you on? If he thinks your child is anxious you can get mental care plan free visits. Some doctors so useless I swear.

Where are u based?

I would try and do swimming also hard with baby I know but even put Bub in cc so u can

8. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

Steph12  (22-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My daughter is 3 and a few months. She has GDD that is due to her syndrome.
    If your paed has diagnosed this you may be eligible for some funding. .maybe NDIS or another funding body for services with speech and OT etc. Or even a medicare chronic health management plan for bulk billed visits to Speech and OT.

My daughter also has a significant speech delay.
    One of the best things I've done for her is childcare/kindy. She's been going for over 12 months. I would look into it. It's been amazing for her development plus you should get inclusion support for that too.

Sending hugs. It's a lot to take in all of this diagnoses stuff. It's full on. I hope you are okay. Especially with another little one too.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (25-03-2016),Steph12  (22-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    My daughter is 3 and a few months. She has GDD that is due to her syndrome.
    If your paed has diagnosed this you may be eligible for some funding. .maybe NDIS or another funding body for services with speech and OT etc. Or even a medicare chronic health management plan for bulk billed visits to Speech and OT.

My daughter also has a significant speech delay.
    One of the best things I've done for her is childcare/kindy. She's been going for over 12 months. I would look into it. It's been amazing for her development plus you should get inclusion support for that too.

Sending hugs. It's a lot to take in all of this diagnoses stuff. It's full on. I hope you are okay. Especially with another little one too.
    I didn't know you could get funding, I thought just Medicare gap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    I didn't know you could get funding, I thought just Medicare gap.
    At this stage would completely depend on what you're state your in and what is the diagnosis.
    Some states have NDIS already, some still accessing other funding models likes Better Start or Helping with autism package. Etc.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Nafsika  (25-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I cannot say anymore than what the other people in here have already, and they are great suggestions.

If child care is too expensive maybe a centre where they do occasional care is more suitable for you.

Playgroups
    Play dates
    Even at the shopping centre playgrounds
    Playgrounds
    Library (story time) etc

Just mixing with others should help.

Good luck with everything and we are here for advice and support.
    There are a bunch of lovely people here with great advice.

Good luck once again.