+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Early ultrasound - Abdominal vs vaginal

After having 2 x MC with ultra sluggish HCG & Progesterone results but promising ultrasounds measuring only 1-2 days behind; I have a pregnancy with ultra high HCG & progesterone (and finally nausea) but an ultrasound measuring 4-5 days behind and a comparatively lower (but still perfectly ok) hb. I just wanted to go in and selfishly have all the numbers match up to dates etc so I didn't have another major stressor in the life and times of me in pregnancy!

This scan was abdominal only (even though it was at an earlier stage), whereas other 2 moved straight to vaginal as nothing could be seen.
    So my question is-
    Is vaginal somehow more accurate in these earlier stages? What have been other's experiences?

I realise that all pregnancies are different and also it could catch up at next scan, but I'm latched on to previous miscarriages, seeing hb means nothing reassuring to me, and by the time I was measuring 5 days behind on u/s's I had a MC on my hands. I hate ttc!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was IVF but my scan at 7 weeks both abdominal and vaginal showed a strong heart beat but measuring 5 days behind. By 12 weeks it was back to the original IVF dates and all caught up... at the 20 week scan it's where she should be and going along well... Even nicknamed her thumper as she doesn't stop kicking and moving at nearly 22 weeks so hold out some hope I do believe positive thinking does the world of good

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ttc1981 For This Useful Post:

happy444  (26-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a retroverted uterus so all my early scans have required a vaginal ultrasound to get a clearer picture. Abdominal scans would show nothing when a sac and heartbeat could be clearly seen on a vaginal scan.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

giveitago  (25-03-2016),happy444  (26-03-2016),sunnygirl79  (26-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yes vaginal are more accurate in the very early stages and for diagnostic stuff like ectopic as they can get a better look.

With my sticky bubbas they had HB's/fetal poles very early. With DS2 there was a visible pole and little HB at 5+0 on abdominal u/s and I'm 100% positive of my dates. That's rare though. As someone that has also experienced multiple loss, decent levels of HcG with decent doubling was far more indicative of a viable pg.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

happy444  (26-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes my OB always did abdominal first then said lets do a vaginal to get a better look. Can see much more with vaginal in early stages. Especially if your uterus is tilted like mine (and a good portion of the population).

With previous pregnancies my early dating scans have always been vaginal they don't even bother with abdominal at the local scan place for early pregnancy.

Have they requested a further scan next week etc?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

happy444  (26-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ttc1981 Thank you, that makes me feel better. I know that there is a lee way given of a few days either way this early, I just don't want to be a statistic at the end of the spectrum, I am completely smack bang average in every other area of my life, why is this my way of being different!!! lol I need to give some positive thinking a try, because I am NOT a positive thinker at all in pregnancy, funnily enough a few months ago I started reading The Secret and other similar things to try to work on it.

I hated my job, the crappy hours, was in a mega rut and thought no way will I attract the things I want being this miserable. One day I just gave my notice without anything else lined up(scary when you have a mortgage) and said to myself I'm making the jump let's see where I land. Scored a great job that I started a day after I finished my old job , great p/t hours, better pay and I got pregnant in that cycle to boot! I'm a believer! Thanks for reminding me!! Xx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to happy444 For This Useful Post:

ttc1981  (26-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
    I have a retroverted uterus so all my early scans have required a vaginal ultrasound to get a clearer picture. Abdominal scans would show nothing when a sac and heartbeat could be clearly seen on a vaginal scan.
    Thank you, I've never been told that my uterus is retroverted etc but I was told in this occasion that my uterus is up high?
    I've always had transvaginal scans even when I was a little further along (8 weeks etc). This is the earliest scan I've ever had (6+4 acc to LMP but measuring 6+0) so I was mystified that they could see anything in this instance. It was a guy who did it, he seemed pretty experienced but I wondered if maybe he just didn't want to do it internally?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yes vaginal are more accurate in the very early stages and for diagnostic stuff like ectopic as they can get a better look.

With my sticky bubbas they had HB's/fetal poles very early. With DS2 there was a visible pole and little HB at 5+0 on abdominal u/s and I'm 100% positive of my dates. That's rare though. As someone that has also experienced multiple loss, decent levels of HcG with decent doubling was far more indicative of a viable pg.
    Thank you xxx, I really wish a vaginal would have been done. The pictures from my previous vaginals are so much clearer than what I have. I'll see what the report from my doctor says.

I thought my high hcg was a good sign too (10000 at 5+3 and prog of 240! I'm on pessaries but even when I was in last pregnancy it was always low) unfortunately my doctor doesn't seem to like to monitor hcg and just monitors my progesterone, so I can't compare the jump, but she was able to call me in last pregnancy to tell me it was failing/failed and get myself off to a scan to confirm so I guess progesterone is what she goes on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Yes my OB always did abdominal first then said lets do a vaginal to get a better look. Can see much more with vaginal in early stages. Especially if your uterus is tilted like mine (and a good portion of the population).

With previous pregnancies my early dating scans have always been vaginal they don't even bother with abdominal at the local scan place for early pregnancy.

Have they requested a further scan next week etc?
    Thank you xxx. I've always had vaginal too, even when being further along, but I've never been told my uterus was anything but the norm? Although this scan he said it was high, whether just in this pregnancy or not. I will see what my doc says; however I will definitely be wanting one after 8 weeks as that is around the time of my 2 MMC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for comforting replies everyone xxx

I had a tiny amount of brown tinged mucus when wiping yesterday, completely freaked out but it was gone by last night, such a relief.

Could it have been caused by the pressure on my belly at scan the previous day? Would make more sense if vaginal was done but seems a timely coincidence. Also one of my small dogs jumped square on my belly that morning which hurt a lot? Scraping bottom of barrel now, but don't know what caused it and just hoping it stays away.