+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question IVF PGD anyone?

I have a question regarding IVF PGD, are you able to find out the gender of your embryos after they have been transfered? I know they find out the gender during the PGD screening.
    We are getting PGD for balanced translocation and don't have any gender preference but we would love to know the gender after the succesful embryo transfer. I just think it would be really nice news to get after undergoing the emotional, physical, psychological and financial rollercoaster that is IVF.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm fairly sure you can once you get a positive pregnancy test but not before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, that's excellent! It's nice to know that we don't have to wait so long to find out bubs gender. That's one positive, well if you're like me and would be just bursting to know 😊
    Have any if you ladies actually asked before?

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Belle View Post
    Oh, that's excellent! It's nice to know that we don't have to wait so long to find out bubs gender. That's one positive, well if you're like me and would be just bursting to know 😊
    Have any if you ladies actually asked before?
    I didn't do PGD but it was mentioned on an IVF support fb page I'm on. It probably depends on clinic policy too though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you mean PGD or PGS? D - diagnosis, is looking at embryos for specific genetic diseases. PGD is mostly done by sequencing, using a variety of techniques, although these days it is almost always done using an Illumina next generation sequencing platform. S - screening, is assessing gene frequencies to look for euploidy (correct number of chromosomes). PGS is mostly done with array based systems - chips with bits of DNA on them which bind to DNA from the sample and send a signal (usually optical) which is detected to assess frequencies of sections of DNA.

If you are having translocations assessed, the embryos will probably be tested using an array, depending on the clinic.

The main limitation is the technique and the sample. The embryo biopsy is TINY, and the DNA usually needs to be amplified, and then it is all used by the test. So if the clinic says they can't do it - as opposed to they won't do it (some won't) ask why and believe them if they say the sample is all used and/or the test will not assess what the baby's gender is.

Talk to your FS, or probably better, the genetics coordinator at your clinic. This technology is constantly changing. Also ask your clinic to make it clear about the specificity and sensitivity of the test, and the difference between a diagnostic test and a clinical tool or indicator. Nothing is perfect, and lots of clinics are misrepresenting what these tests can do.

Take care, and good luck,

Buffy
    Last edited by buffalo speedway; 25-03-2016 at 21:36.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buffalo speedway For This Useful Post:

Miss Belle  (27-03-2016),RubyGirl  (26-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Miss Belle Depends on the clinic but I found out the sex when my FS rang me to tell me the PGD results. So I knew before transfer.

good luck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bongley For This Useful Post:

Miss Belle  (27-03-2016)

SpotTheOcelot is offline 'Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was told that after the transfer I'd need to call the clinic and they'd get back to me with the gender. We waited until we saw a heartbeat at the six week scan before doing so.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SpotTheOcelot For This Useful Post:

Miss Belle  (27-03-2016)