+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What would you pay

Been playing around with making some stuff and for lack of regular paid work I thought I would play around with making kids wooden toys and later custom furniture or at least kids furniture if not custom.

This is just early days and proof of concept. There are lots of wooden toys out there made by retirees and men's sheds etc bsome are good and some are very poor quality. I want to aim for quality and something a bit different. I'll make my own plans.

That brings me to this, based on a corvette stingray 1969

uploadfromtaptalk1458795025212.jpg

Coke can for scale of size

uploadfromtaptalk1458795043908.jpg

These first three pics are before a second coat of finish

uploadfromtaptalk1458795086182.jpg

So far it is a prototype and there is room for improvement

uploadfromtaptalk1458795124745.jpg

Any comments possitive or constructive critism most welcome

uploadfromtaptalk1458795160152.jpg

So .... how muh would you pay?
    Is it something you would consider buying

This i not an ad btw. This is a little market research for me.

Later if I pursue this I plan a 4wd, semi, B double, car carrier, bi plane and train all to the same scale
    Last edited by DaveTTC; 24-03-2016 at 15:09.

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My DF would love that. I have no idea how much to suggest it's worth though.. $30 or so maybe. It's hard to put a price on hand made toys because you never know how much time and effort went into it and don't want to offend the person who made it 😕
    I think you would have a lot of car enthusiasts on board if you did different models of cars.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Myztik For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (24-03-2016),VicPark  (24-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not sure about price for wooden toys as I don't really have knowledge on that BUT custom kids furniture is an awesome idea. Wooden crafted outdoor kids furniture, small desks and chairs. Even things like a mini rocking chair with the child's name on it. Things that are personal and hand crafted made out of solid Australian timber.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (24-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it was well made $40. Can I put a truck order in now 😜

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (24-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a market for wooden toys that are Steiner oriented. A lot of what is available is made overseas and I know I would love to see more of it locally made.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would pay $30-$40 for that. I paid $49 for this. I would love a '53 F100......

Eta-Dh makes those model cars you get from Mr Toys that are 1:24 or 1:25 scale. They are the perfect size.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 24-03-2016 at 15:31.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (24-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you to the feed back thus far

@Mod-Myztik This one after gluing the boards together took 4 hours to shape the body and about 1 hour to do the wheels. Each item I make (car, truck etc) would likely take in the range of a week or two of research, drawing, protype and making jigs so I can make these quicker as a viable idea

@Janesmum123 the furniture will likely be another 6 - 12 months off unless I were to get a special order ... love your ideas

@amyd post a pic of the sort of truck you have in mind

@binnielici Could you be a bit more specific with examples of Steiner orientated toys, really appreciate your feedback

@Ngaiz Nice plane, this was made by a wood turner, I believe the rounder fusalage did not come in until after the biplane era but they did a good job. Your plane is a good example of price varrience with added pieces and complexity. Mind you shaping that body on the car was not a walk in the park. If you post a pic of a 53 F100 I'll have a look and see what I can do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't buy the car, but would have considered wooden furniture when my kids were little.

Expensive wooden items I did buy for my kids when they little were a wooden dolls cradle (would have been around $80) and a wooden rocking horse (paid around the $250/$300 mark).

Something else I used to spend up big on were quality wooden jigsaw puzzles - around $50 each.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (24-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you start to build up a collection of things you have made you can always try to sell them at markets. Maybe markets in the city or popular hipster ones.. Lol. Even things like local fairs etc. do up a few business cards ( they are really cheap) etc. you never know you could end up with a nice little business.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (24-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The rocking horse we had was a similar style to this:

https://www.4seasonsfurnishings.com/...-rocking-horse

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (24-03-2016)