Alone in hospital after c section? | Page 4 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Alone in hospital after c section?

My husband was at work on the other side of Sydney when my waters broke with my third. My brother in law wasn't working and came to drop me to hospital and look after my two other kids. Once I got to hospital I had to have an emergency c-section because she was transverse lie and my brother in law had to go to the other side of Sydney to pick my husband up and obviously that can take a long time. My husband didn't even make it for the birth. I was wheeled into recovery and my baby was taken to the ward but my husband got there just as they were moving my baby so he stayed with her for 3 hours whilst I was in recovery.

I found the midwives to be great but being my third baby I was a bit more independent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine didn't stay either time. DS was an emergency c-section and we didn't get back to the ward until about 10pm I think. He only stayed a little while once we got back on the ward and then went home to sleep (we live an hour away from hospital and were public so he couldn't have stayed anyway). I was fine that night - the midwives were awesome and helped with lifting him in and out of the crib, changing nappies etc. They were doing my obs every hour anyway, and I had a PCR for pain so was fine. I was in for 2 days and then came back to our local hospital for another 7 as DS wasn't gaining enough weight.

DD was an elective in the morning. I think he left around 3pm to go pick up DS and take him home. Was fine that night too. DD wouldn't settle in the crib, so I dozed half sitting up and she slept on my chest all night. MW's said it wasn't really allowed, but as I wasn't sleeping deeply and they were in and out anyway, they left us to like that and we had skin to skin all night. I was up and showering the next morning and DH came back late the next morning to bring me back to the local hospital again and then bought DS in that arvo once we were settled.

I didn't realise how lucky I was to have had great middies each time. Once one even massaged my shoulders to try to help me let down as I had BFing issues each time. If they couldn't come straight away when I buzzed, someone popped their head in and asked if it was urgent as they had an emergency/problem they were dealing with. I was never just left for hours. I think the longest I waited was 15 minutes. My only issue was my room mate with DS! She was loud and inconsiderate. TV blaring all night and on the phone from 5am talking loudly. And ignoring all staff who asked her to be quiet. Thankfully she went home late the next day as I needed some sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My DH didn't stay with any of my 3 c/s. With my first I got horrible MW's who didn't help me at all and I was so sore from getting in and out of bed I thought I had split my stitches (I got rolled eyes from nurses asking if I had )

With my 2nd and 3rd I had no help but had learned the 'c/s roll' to get out of bed lol By my 3rd I was a veteran and just wanted to be left alone as bfing was actually working for the first time.

With all my c/s I was home within 2-3 days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm about to have #3 and will definitely have dh with me. I found him to be a huge help for me, grabbing things I needed, helping me around, helping me keep my sanity even! It has been enormously helpful for him to bond with Bub each time by being able to focus on the one child.

I go private so am discharged after 5 days.

My eldest is 4 so pretty independent, my second is just under one and a half so is pretty needy. I am lucky enough to have parents that can handle the duties until we return home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Alone in hospital after c section?

I can't believe there are private patients on here who get 5 days for c section? My local private hospital is 3 night for c sec, 2 for natural
    Last edited by yadot; 26-03-2016 at 19:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yadot View Post
    I can't believe all the private patients on here who get 5 days for c section? My local private hospital is 3 night for c sec, 2 for natural
    My hospital is 2-3 for VB (depending on recovery/BF etc) and 3-5 for c-section (again depends on recovery/BF etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yadot View Post
    I can't believe there are private patients on here who get 5 days for c section? My local private hospital is 3 night for c sec, 2 for natural
    Standard stay at my private hospital for a c-section is 5 nights. I stayed 9 nights and the longer stay was due to severe preeclampsia complications. I probably could have gone home after 7-8nights but my DD was in special care so my ob kept me in as long as she could so I would be close to bub for as long as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I've had 2 public hospitals. With my first it was a strict 5 day stay given it was c/s and first bub. With my 2nd and 3rd child I went home when I wanted. I left after 48 hours with my 2nd and 72 with my 3rd. They were more than happy to allow me to stay 5 but I hate hospitals with a passion and figured the nurofen and panadol they were giving me I could take in the comfort of my own home anyway.