Alone in hospital after c section? | Page 3 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Holy c**p ladies! Where on earth have you been having your babies?! It makes me sad to think people are having these experiences.

OP it depends on how you think you will cope without anyone there. The midwives should help you out when you buzz. They should help with passing baby to you, nappy changes, feeding assistance, wrapping and settling baby PLUS be doing frequent checks on you. Depending on what time you have your CS will depend on how often they are doing your obs, checking your wound/blood loss and changing pads etc. We try and answer buzzers within 20mins. We can't always answer them immediately if we're helping another woman, but if your midwife is tied up then one of the other midwives on shift should be able to answer your buzzers. Over night they should be able to respond relatively quickly as people are sleeping (hopefully) or at least not all waking and requiring help at the same time! You should be ok if you have good midwives! In regards to pain relief, buzz the moment you start feeling sore. That way if it does take a little bit of time you're not waiting in agony, plus it is far easier to control your pain if you have something when it first starts to hurt than when you're in 10/10 pain and distressed.

Be mindful that not every hospital has a nursery you can send your baby to. If they have the BFHI (baby friendly hospital initiative) accreditation (or working towards it) then the only nursery they will have is special care for unwell babies. They may have people on shift who can help you out with bubs (nappies, settling, wrapping etc) if the help you need is non clinical.

And if you ever experience care you perceive to be sub-par, tell someone! Ask to speak to the unit manager while you're an inpatient or the patient representative once you're discharged. If there are bad practices going on, they can't be changed unless it's known that they're happening.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (26-03-2016),michellek  (25-03-2016),Stretched  (24-03-2016),Wise Enough  (24-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With DS, my DH stayed for the 5 nights. He wasn't overly helpful - he slept through most of DS night wakings and the midwife helping me attach him etc. some of the midwives were amazed he could sleep through it - we had a king bed so he was right next to me snoring away . During the day and with visitors he was very helpful.

If I have another I will go private again and DH can stay with DS at home - I think I'll do the hospital part alone <-- that all depends on the hospital though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was in hospital 9 nights after DD was born by emergency c-section and DH stayed 7 nights but DD was in special care and not in my room and it was very intense with her health issues so I needed his help with that side of things.
    For the c-section aspect my recovery was great and the midwife who looked after me the night of and day after was amazing. I'll never forget her care. I was in ICU for 24hrs and when I came back she showered me and was just like a mum to me. I think if I hadn't had the traumatic birth and complications for both me and DD then I would have coped without DH there overnight. Maybe it depends on your hospital but I was in a private hospital and could always get help when I needed it but little things like picking up baby I could cope fine with anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    They should help with passing baby to you.
    The night of my csec I was feeding bub in bed. Buzzes a midwife to help put bub in the cot when I had finished. Took an hour to come. She said I should have just let bub sleep in the bed with me instead of keeping myself awake. I was on high levels of pain relief at that point, no way I was going to fall asleep with bub in my bed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

yadot  (24-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Alone in hospital after c section?

F
    Last edited by yadot; 15-05-2016 at 18:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by yadot View Post
    A private hospital in a major Victorian city

On the 2nd day after my e c/s my OB came into my room to tell me how well I was doing- I was up and about, feeding etc (well yeah, the midwives weren't doing anything!) and tried to agree to me being discharged THAT DAY... I said no so they let me stay for 3 nights! Lucky me. Only cost thousands of dollars!! Never again.

I felt like such a burden. Everytime I said something or tried to say something I was told they were very busy and doing their best. BS. They might have been busy and it was obvious they needed my room but the 'care' was a joke! I get upset honking about it and yes I should've taken it further but it's been 18 months now
    I know exactly what you mean about feeling like a burden. When I asked for panadol, the midwife told me that she was 'too busy', and stormed out. They also told me that they were trying to 'clear the place out for christmas' (which was over a week still until christmas). I actually wrote a complaint to the hospital when my baby was 15 months old. It took that long for me to be able to talk about what went on and how poorly I was treated, and I think it needed to be said. I would write a complaint if I were you - at least it would possibly make you feel better

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (24-03-2016),yadot  (24-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thanks for all the replies. Some of your experiences are shocking! DH will definitely be there for the birth and after in case bub needs to be separated from me during recovery. We were just considering him going home at night so DD can stay at home with him. She's going through a horrible phase and I think she might be too much for my parents or in laws to handle. Now that I've read the responses I think I'll ask DH to stay the first night and after that he can go home the other nights. I'm going private so will probably be in for 4 or 5 nights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I meant to write a complaint and forgot. Mine was a private hospital in a big Victorian city too. They were doing major renovations and both times I could hardly get any rest. At one stage my baby was in the crib next to the window and they were jackhammering immediately outside the window, so 1m away from my newborn. I complained that the noise could be damaging my babies hearing and I was told "we haven't had any issues yet". ?!?! The noise even continued during "quiet time".

Then there was a cranky pants midwife who helped me shower after my CS. It was a hand held shower and she kept screeching at me "if you wet me this shower is over" like I was 5?!? I said my mum could help me shower and she wouldn't let her, insisted she would do it.

I ended up discharging myself early as I hated it there. Don't get me wrong most midwives were amazing. It's just a shame the cranky ones are the ones you remember

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow some crappy experiences!
    I had my emergency c section at a private hospital in Adelaide. It was late at night so I was up showering the next day, it was hard to move around. My Dh stayed the first night then the other 4 nights he went home. The midwives were great always checking if I needed pain relief etc they were very busy and the ward was full too. My milk did not come in for 5 days so I really struggled with an unsettled baby in hospital and I very nearly lost the plot a few times, I'm so thankful to those midwives

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    Holy c**p ladies! Where on earth have you been having your babies?! It makes me sad to think people are having these experiences.

OP it depends on how you think you will cope without anyone there. The midwives should help you out when you buzz. They should help with passing baby to you, nappy changes, feeding assistance, wrapping and settling baby PLUS be doing frequent checks on you. Depending on what time you have your CS will depend on how often they are doing your obs, checking your wound/blood loss and changing pads etc. We try and answer buzzers within 20mins. We can't always answer them immediately if we're helping another woman, but if your midwife is tied up then one of the other midwives on shift should be able to answer your buzzers. Over night they should be able to respond relatively quickly as people are sleeping (hopefully) or at least not all waking and requiring help at the same time! You should be ok if you have good midwives! In regards to pain relief, buzz the moment you start feeling sore. That way if it does take a little bit of time you're not waiting in agony, plus it is far easier to control your pain if you have something when it first starts to hurt than when you're in 10/10 pain and distressed.

Be mindful that not every hospital has a nursery you can send your baby to. If they have the BFHI (baby friendly hospital initiative) accreditation (or working towards it) then the only nursery they will have is special care for unwell babies. They may have people on shift who can help you out with bubs (nappies, settling, wrapping etc) if the help you need is non clinical.

And if you ever experience care you perceive to be sub-par, tell someone! Ask to speak to the unit manager while you're an inpatient or the patient representative once you're discharged. If there are bad practices going on, they can't be changed unless it's known that they're happening.
    Wow. Some horrid hospys.

I'm with @M'LadyEm. I had fabulous after birth support. The mw brought me extra food and cups of tea when I was up all night with the marathon feeding sessions. I had ward helpers hold bub so I could shower/poop/sleep for a bit.

I didn't need hubby so sent him home within hours after my second and third births. Yes they were vb but I stayed 5 nights with each.