Alone in hospital after c section? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Alone in hospital after c section?

For those who have had an elective caesarean, did you or would you have managed not having your partner in the hospital with you after giving birth? Did the midwives help with middle of the night feeds, picking baby up etc.

DH was with me in the hospital last time after my emergency caesarean which I found a huge help with picking DD up and passing things to me.

This time I'm not sure if I should leave DD with her grandparents and have DH stay with me or have DH stay with DD at home and me alone in hospital. I'm leaning towards staying alone at hospital, just wondering if it's manageable?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    No I've never had DH stay with me. We have no grandparents to leave the other kids with so its not an option anyway but if it was I still wouldn't.

The midwives were fine but even after Caesarians I'm home in 3 days. I'd rather it just be me and my baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DH stayed the first night and then I was alone. He came in at 7 and left at night. I hated being alone. I have pretty bad birthing experiences though and really struggle with recovery. The first day with DD I vomitted all day and couldn't even open my eyes. After that I could get out of bed but **** it's so hard in the early days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH stayed in hospital with me after my elective c-section, remember than an elective is much easier to recover from than an emergency.

Ask for a spinal not an epidural, you'll be up and about faster. I was walking (very slowly) and in the shower 5 hours after mine, DH's help was amazing but I definitely could have coped alone x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I stayed on my own. The first night Bub went to nursery and mw bought her to me for feeds. Next morning drip and catheter out and I was up showering and had her in my room 24/7 until we went home. My H worked and my dad had DS . My H never took time off work

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had an emergency C/section with my twins but the nurses still had me up and about the second day.
    I personally think it's nice to have DH with you the first night but if that's not possible the midwives will definitely help where ever they need to.

Our hospital also had a night nanny service from 8pm-6am where thy could take the baby for a couple of hours so you can get a rest if you need it (we didn't use the service but it was available)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There was no where for my DH to stay after my c section as I was on a ward with other ladies. Not a private room. So I was alone at night and just buzzed when I needed help picking up my baby. The midwives took him for a while so I could sleep, but he was rather unsettled so had to bring him back! Sometimes I had to wait a while for assistance when I buzzed so it wasnt great, although understandable with many patients to attend to. But if I'd had repeat c sections, rather than the VBACs I had, I would have told him to go home and get proper rest so he's better able to look after the other kids and me when we came home. That's just me personally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my sister, dad and bestie all stay with me on different nights. It was great to have help. So it doesn't have to be your DH if you just want help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dh didn't stay with me and was only able to visit for an hour or so before dd started getting bored (no-one to watch her) so I spent most of the time alone with just ds

The midwives helped me with getting ds in/out of the bassinet for the 1st night then I was fine. I was up having a shower really early the next morning then walking around so nothing was stopping me tending to him alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had Dh but would have managed without him if I had to. It's very likely to be the case this time around as he needs to be home to look after Dd if bub makes an early appearance. My midwives were great and were always there as soon as I buzzed them. I don't like to inconvenience people so in the middle of the night I didn't want to wake Dh so did most of it myself. It drives Dh bonkers.