+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Was it an internal scan? That is the only way mine was picked up.
    If you are still having the stabbing pain - I would push for an internal scan to rule out ectopic.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to michellead For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (24-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had an ectopic early this year.

I did Ivf in December and when I had my blood test, they told me I was pregnant but the levels didn't double properly so they suspected I was going to have an early miscarriage. A week later I had a bit of spotting but my levels kept rising. Finally just after New Years, my levels reached high enough for them to do a scan. I was almost 7wks along at that point but as my levels were about 2 weeks behind.

They had mentioned that I'd need a scan to see what was happening since my body still hadn't let go of the pregnancy. They also mentioned the possibility of it being an ectopic. The night before my scan, I went to bed and then got a dull ache in my lower back and to the right side. It felt like a pressure pain, if that make sense and was more achy that pain. I still remember thinking, no I'm sure I couldn't be having an ectopic. Sure enough, the next day the internal scan revealed a small sac in my right tube. Since my levels were so low and there was no heartbeat, I was offered the choice of having an mtx injection or a lap, I opted for the mtx. My levels then had to be monitored and about 6 weeks later, my hcg was at 4, which is deemed a negative and I got my period about 10 days later and it's due again in the coming days. I was lucky to avoid a rupture and any surgery.

Best of luck! I really hope it isn't ectopic as it wasn't the best time. If it is, you will come out the other side just fine like the rest of us. Since you think it could be, please don't leave it too long to get checked again as it's much easier to resolve, the earlier it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an ectopic 2 years ago. no pain, but a scan where the uterine lining was thick indicating a pregnancy, but no sac. They also thought it was too early but I sensed something was wrong. I had HCG levels done and they went up by 50%, not the usual doubling but my GP insisted it was okay. I had a bleed & took myself to ED where they tested HCG again and the levels had started to fall slightly. They suggested it was ectopic & performed an ultrasound but couldn't find a pregnancy in the uterus.. By HCG it should have been visible but they couldn't locate it. I had the option of methotrexate, the drug, or surgery to locate and remove the pregnancy.. I chose the latter as I wanted closure that it had definitely been removed which you don't get straight away with methotrexate. I had surgery the next day & my left tube removed. This was at 6.5 weeks. The first scan I had was at 5 weeks. It was a long week and a half but I was glad it was over in the end. I fell pregnant 2 months later and she's 15 months now. Good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frittlebitlazzled View Post
    The doctor never did a blood test, she wanted those done in 2 weeks.
    Scan was inconclusive. Couldn't find a gestational sac anywhere so it's a wait and see case. Frustrating!
    But no news is good news right?? I guess it's very early at 4ish weeks.
    I can't believe they haven't done bloods. Frustrates me, the lack of inconsistencies in prenatal care. It makes it really hard to know if there is a potential problem, which hopefully there is not for you.

4 weeks is way too early to see anything on a scan. So don't stress yourself out of possible. Prior to about 6 weeks blood tests are your best indication as to how the pregnancy is progressing.

Whilst I never had an ectopic I had a scare a couple of years ago. I requested a dating scan at approx 6 weeks and they found nothing, saying probably too early come back in 2 weeks. My doc then ordered bloods which came back rising (however on hindsight these levels were quite low, he was a GP and didn't seem too worried). I also had started spotting but no one took me seriously. I had a further scan a week later (due to spotting) but same result, got told too early come back in 2 weeks. These were internal scans. My hcg had reached 8000 and I decided to go to another scan place with a highly regarded obstetric sonographer and paid a small fortune for yet another scan - with the intention of ruling out ectopic, as this was a real possibility given my blood levels and absence of anything visible in my uterus. Fortunately she located an empty sac in my uterus - why the others had missed it I am not sure, equipment and experience of the person doing the scan makes a big difference FYI.
    Mine didn't end well, I ended up miscarrying a week later.
    I just wanted to share my experience in case you get stuffed around like I did. There is nothing worse than not knowing and being told inconclusive results. But if your provider isn't taking you seriously, or doing more to rule out ectopic, please seek a second opinion. Hopefully in your case it is just too early and the pains are nothing to worry about, good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry to hear that there are so many who've had awful experiences and especially with medical practitioners not trusting a woman not to know her own body 😞

It was an external and internal scan so they had a good look. Pain has subsided so I'm really pleased about that. I'm still getting af-like cramps but no spotting so hopefully that's just my uterus getting comfy for a long 9 months ahead!

Thanks so much for all your help guys!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had lots of sharp pains and I'm about the same along as you. Feels like someone is getting a knitting needle and stabbing me in my left side. I had the same thing with my first so I'm not worried. You're right, it's the embryo getting nice and comfy for the next 9 months. As long as it's not constant pain, I reckon sharp twinges are fine. I even had what felt like an electric shock go through me which made that whole area numb (first pregnancy) which was probably just a nerve expanding (baby was born fine). The body does so many weird things lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has your pains subsided? Mine is still there. Hoping it's just the Corpus Lutem cyst or whatever?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It woke me up the last few nights but when I pee it goes away. It's not consistent though so I'm not too worried. I've got bloods to do on Monday when I go home. My scan report said I had a corpus thingiajig on my left ovary but I don't have pain on that side so that doesn't really explain mine. I'm not too worried at this stage. All hpts are very fast and dark
    I hope yours is nothing!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sooooo as Murphy and his law would have it, just as I begin to assume it's nothing and not worry, the pain is back and it's sharp and short, and it was every few minutes for about 20 minutes. It's easing now - haven't had any for about 20 minutes. I'm right on 5 weeks today. I haven't got bleeding but I've been very active today because we've packed and unpacked from a week of camping.

Is 5 weeks still to early to see anything if I need a scan? Would calling 13HEALTH be a good idea? I'm out at the moment but I should probably call when I get home in half an hour, just to be safe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    13HEALTH will say see dr or hospital.

Depending if you are early or late into 5 weeks but you should see a sac and something in there. There won't be a HB or anything but you should be able to see if it is something in the right spot.

I would head to hospital if you are worried as they can scan there. If you get a referral from GP you will have to wait at least until tomorrow.