+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Ivf cancelled due too many follicles

I just found out my cycle is being cancelled because I have too many follicles. They knew I had pco.
    Anyway I'm devastated and life sux.
    They said don't bd. I feel like I want to try. What are the odds I fertilise all of them. Has anyone done this?

Wouldn't I still get ohss once I naturally ovulate these follicles out anyone? I would rather they just did it and froze them.

Any advice on this as is my first and now I just feel doomed.. You may know the feeling. I'm sure I will pick up but for now that's just how it is.. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is it an IVF cycle or ovulation induction? How many follicles have you got? I have had an OI cycle cancelled in the past due to my PCOS and lots of follicles. It was implied that if we wanted we could bd and try ourselves (even though the cycle was officially cancelled, that way the clinic didnt need to take the blame for triplets), but we still got a bfn, unfortunately we seem to have complicated issues. I over stimulate in IVF cycles too but my new Fs still let's me go ahead as his theory is the odds are it will happen again each cycle, I am lucky in the fact I haven't suffered much with OHSS.

No words can really help when you are told your cycle is cancelled, it sucks and is so hard to come to terms with, hope you get more luck next time x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry just realised you said in your title it was IVF, that must have been some number of follicles for them to cancel hun.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi Kim, sorry for your sucky cycle. I have pcos and did ivf and was very close to OHSS. I know you feel like cr*p but please following your clinic suggestions. They don't want you to bed so you don't fall pregnant with unsafe amount of multiples or any pregnancy really as the Hcg produced in pregnancy is what brings on the OHSS. That's also probably why they didn't collect any of your eggs. Firstly most triggers have HCG in them so they would give you a much increased risk of OHSS and having so many eggs they are likely to be immature and of poor quality so it would be unlikely to have any decent embryos develop from the batch anyway. Trust the experts. I heard some good advice to think of 1 IVF attempt as 3 cycles. It takes a few goes of trial and error and tweaking meds and protocols to see how your body responds. Take it easy, I hope you have a better cycle next go x

So to clarify, it's unlikely you will get OHSS when you ovulate naturally the eggs from these follicles as OHSS is much more likely and worse if there is a pregnancy or you have used a medicated ovulation trigger with Hcg in it
    Last edited by bel2466; 23-03-2016 at 19:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs Hun. I feel you as I was in that boat a fortnight ago? Did they say how many follies you had? I had 25 but my bloods were good so they then decided to un cancel it with the idea of freezing all if needed. Can you talk to them and see what your bloods show?

Thanks
    Reviews

Hugs. IVF is an emotional roller coaster. I have not had pick up cancelled but have had a freeze all cycle due to the number of eggs collected. Unfortunately it didn't stop me developing severe OHSS and I ended up in hospital for 5 days. It was painful, uncomfortable and in the hours immediately before and after I was admitted it was pretty scary.

I know it is hard but the clinic have your best interests at heart and want to ensure you don't suffer.

I suffered with OHSS usually mild for every cycle I undertook. My last (and successful) 4th cycle my FS, Wazza, used synarel as the trigger this can significantly reduce the chance of OHSS. Perhaps discuss this with your FS for your next cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have PCOS and was a poor responder, every patient is different. Although I completely understand your desire to get pregnant please do not BD. There was a previous hubber who did this and ended up in hospital with terrible ohss needing a stomach drain. She hadn't told medical staff she bd and they couldn't understand why it was getting progressively worse. She ended up with 4 (or 5) babies and lost a couple of them along the way.

Like pp said, ask about an alternative trigger instead of Ovidrel (or other hcg) and the possibility of a freeze all cycle.

Eta-yes you can still get ohss after natural ovulation but the hcg from pregnancy makes it worse and if you were to fertilise multiple eggs then the risk is multiplied.
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 23-03-2016 at 19:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wazza was my Fs too and he used a lupron trigger with me to avoid OHSS, I retrieved 23 eggs and he was happy for me to go onto transfer. It does show how each clinic is very different though my previous cycle with a different clinic I had 16 eggs retrieved and had to have a freeze all cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. I know deep down they have my best interests at heart but it's hard to take when I was so hopeful and so desperate to have a baby.

I understand now about how ohss works with the hcg.. Thanks for explaining it makes sense not to get pregnant.
    I just feel like life revolves around ttc this past 2 years and I feel like what is life now with 2 months off pretty much. It seems like an eternity.

I didn't have any blood tests. My fs says he only needs ultrasounds to know what's going on. So I was in every second day to have scans.

I had about 30 follicles and some tiny ones. But I would sAy only about 10 were big enough at this stage to be any good (from 13mm to 18mm)

Lucky I wasn't at work I completely broke down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyside View Post
    Wazza was my Fs too and he used a lupron trigger with me to avoid OHSS, I retrieved 23 eggs and he was happy for me to go onto transfer. It does show how each clinic is very different though my previous cycle with a different clinic I had 16 eggs retrieved and had to have a freeze all cycle.
    This is what gets me about my fs. Maybe if I was with someone else they wouldn't see it as bad as he does. I have heard now that my clinic does a lot of cancellations on side of caution. I'm not sure if that's good or bad at this stage.