+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default TTC #2 with IVF

So I had my DD in October, after TTC for two years and on our third round of IVF/ICSI. DH and I do want a second at some point, but it's so hard to know when we should start to TTC again. I'd prefer not to have a huge gap between kids (assuming we are lucky enough to get a THB again) but obviously have no idea how long it will take to fall pregnant again. We will be going straight back to IVF again and have four embies in the freezer.

I'm planning on making an appointment soon with our FS to talk about what we need to do/think about before starting again. I know weaning my DD will be a big one as my cycle hasn't returned yet and she is exclusively breastfed.

For those of you who have conceived #2 or are currently TTC #2 via IVF, how long did you wait before starting treatment again? Any tips or advice? Or if you're in the same boat as me I'd love to chat

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump. Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep we are starting IVF again do any number 2 in July this year. Our little girl will be 17 months old by then. I decided to leave it a little longer than originally planned for several reasons. I wanted to give my body enough time to get back to normal after giving birth. I've gotten rid of all my baby weight and I wanted to get fit again which I've done. I also wanted to breast feed until my bub was 1 which I've done. Other than that, I really wanted to enjoy time with my little one without worrying about IVF, if we will have another and all those feelings and logistics surrounding doing another cycle. Also, for us personally, having a couple of years age gap is good because hopefully our little girl will be a bit more independent once baby number 2 hopefully comes along. Apparently 2 babies under 2 years of age is a lot of work and for me I think that would be too full on.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleDove For This Useful Post:

besha  (26-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Also, IVF was such a big part of our lives for 3 years and as odd as it sounds, I found it hard to let go of it all. I think because of that, I was really eager to jump back into it again ASAP..... But now that I've managed to step back from it all I am really enjoying being a mum and putting our 3 years of crazy IVF behind me. This is another reason I'm waiting a little longer to start it all up again 😃

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleDove For This Useful Post:

besha  (26-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 8 weeks along with my second IVF pregnancy. DD was 18 months when we started our FET cycle and we were lucky enough to get our BFP first try.
    I wanted to BF to at least 12 months so that was a big factor. Ended up weaning DD at 14 months to go back on meds to get my cycle back.
    DD took us a looong time (3 yrs) so although I would have preferred a bigger age gap, we decided to start trying again sooner rather than later.
    Same as pp I was reluctant to return to IVF. I have been so happy since having DD I was shocked at how hard it was to return to being an IVF patient, instead of a regular mum. I got jealous of my friends announcing their "oopsy" second babies.
    Right now I'm really struggling as I'm finding the 18m-2yrs age really difficult plus IVF/pregnancy/tiredness. I'm glad DD will be a little older when the next bub comes.
    Best of luck whatever you decide!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

besha  (26-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default TTC #2 with IVF

Thanks for your replies ladies. It's funny, I'm actually a bit ambivalent about going back again which surprises me! When we started TTC, I wanted four kids, DH wanted two so I figured we'd have two and then I'd squeeze him for one more. Then we had trouble conceiving and I had to get my head around maybe having no kids at all. Now we have our DD and I love her to bits and am so thankful we have her. I'd love to give her a sibling but at the same time I know we'll be ok if that doesn't happen. We have four good quality blasts in the freezer so hopefully one of those will turn into a sibling. I don't think I want to do another egg collection, but who knows - I may change my mind if we get to that point, once I'm in the thick of it again! It has been nice to not have to worry about IVF and just be a normal pregnant lady/mum.

I think it will be later this year that we start trying, when DD will be around 9-10 months old. So if we are successful first try we'd end up with an 18-20ish month gap. Which I think I'd be ok with, can never be sure obviously but DD is pretty chilled.

A big motivator for me is financial tbh - I found out the other week that if I fall pregnant while on maternity leave and take a new lot of leave for a subsequent baby, I get another chunk of paid leave in there (14 weeks at my full time salary). If I go back to work, I'd go back part time and then I'd only get mat leave at my part time rate if I fall pregnant again. So I was keen to wait a bit but this piece of info changes things a bit!

Wish we could have an oopsy baby but sadly never will happen for us - would make things so much easier! My friends just have to have their husbands sneeze in their general direction and bam they are pregnant.

Good luck for your pregnancy @rosey82