+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sending children to different schools

Has anyone made the decision to send their children to different primary schools? My DD is in grade 2 at a school that works really well for her, however my DS1 is due to start next year and I wouldn't choose this school for him at all. The only reason we'd be sending him there is convenience. I'm not sure this is a good enough reason.

I'm looking at another school which I absolutely love for DS1 but I'm concerned about the logistics of two pickups and possibly clashing events. DD would have to go to OOSC 2-3 days a week on average depending on DH's shifts as there's a 15min finish time difference and I can't get to DS on time, being a preppie I'm not comfortable picking him up 10min late.

It's a decision we are really struggling with, as DS1 is a high maintenance kid and needs somewhere more tolerant and relaxed rather than so focused on academics. I'm so unsure on what to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    We moved my 2nd from the school my eldest was at. My eldest loved the school and was very happy there. My second hated every minute of it. We wound up moving her half way through preprimary. I wish we'd never sent her there.

Pick ups and drop offs work themselves out. My girls are at one school and my son at a different one. It's tricky but it works. I know a lot of people who do this shuffle to make sure their kids go to the right school for them.

If you know your son won't be ok at this school don't send him. In the end it will be more stressful and harder work for everyone in the family if you send him somewhere he's miserable.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (22-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your past paragraph has really hit home for me. I just can't see him doing excelling at this school.

I don't particularly like the school DD is at now, but she loves and is doing so well so I can imagine my feelings if DS1 struggles, which I'm fairly certain he will.

Do you think it matters sending her to OOSC purely to facilitate pick ups? Drop offs won't be a concern as I can drop her off at 8 and then head to DS's school which doesn't start until 9.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Sending children to different schools

Most of my friends send their children to different schools mainly as they are single sex schools and all of the mums at DS school ( boys school) with daughters obviously do as well - my girlfriend with 3 daughters sent 1 to one and 2 to another purely based on what your concerns were OP with different schools seeming to suit different kids - I've noticed they all tend to pick up their younger kids first as they usually finish earlier then go get the older ones ( most schools seem to have a 20-30 min time after school finished where there is still teacher supervision) or yes they go to oosc

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    Your past paragraph has really hit home for me. I just can't see him doing excelling at this school.

I don't particularly like the school DD is at now, but she loves and is doing so well so I can imagine my feelings if DS1 struggles, which I'm fairly certain he will.

Do you think it matters sending her to OOSC purely to facilitate pick ups? Drop offs won't be a concern as I can drop her off at 8 and then head to DS's school which doesn't start until 9.
    Nope. There will come a time when I'll have to do that once my 4th starts kindy. I can't pick up her and my son so one of them will do OOSC for that reason. A lot of people do that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My two went to separate schools for a year. It was fine. DD went home with a school friend, and then I'd pick her up from there after collecting DS. It's so important to have the right school for each child.
    It can't be stressed enough what a difference the right school can make, and as all kids are different one school does not fit all.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (22-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's great that you're putting the kids' need above your own. I think you answered your own question when you said " we'd only be doing it for convenience".

I'm not sure what the OOSC is like, but I'm sure it's better than having your son at a school that isn't right for him.

To me , it sounds like you really care about them both, and I feel that you will find a way to work out the pick ups and drop offs just because you care about it enough. Does DD have a buddy at school that could help? (Maybe you could pick up their kid one day, and they could pick up your DD one day or something like that?)

Also, there's a website called https://www.jugglestreet.com/ which might be able to help you - it connects people with their neighbours and also babysitters. You mind find a local near you who's willing to help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont have any experience with sending children to different schools, however my good friend sent her DD to the same school as her DS despite her hesitation that her DD wouldnt thrive and now just into the 3rd year at school her DD is very social and loving the social aspect of school, however she is falling further and further behind each term. My friend is paying a tutor weekly to try and get her DD up to where she should be. She wishes more than anything she had initially sent her DD to another nearby school but now she struggles with the thought of moving her and upsetting her.

Also, as for pick ups. My DD is in grade Prep and they finish school at 3.10, however I never get to school until 3.20. She is supervised in the pick up zone and loves having a little play with her friends after school. Perhaps it might be similar for your DS if you do pick him up 10 minutes late. I must admit though that for the first couple of weeks I made sure I was there as soon as she came out of class, but once she was settled I felt ok picking her up 10 minutes after the bell went.