+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Connecting flights, do I collect baggage?

Flying virgin international from Sydney, but getting to Sydney via domestic virgin flight ( booked as the one package)
    Do I collect my luggage domestically then take it to be submitted internationally or do they transfer it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    They should transfer it. When you check in for your flight to Sydney, they'll check your passport and issue your boarding passes for both flights, and tag your bag with wherever you're headed after Sydney.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by besha View Post
    They should transfer it. When you check in for your flight to Sydney, they'll check your passport and issue your boarding passes for both flights, and tag your bag with wherever you're headed after Sydney.
    This. They will tell you on boarding passes etc. Generally they have whenever I have flown.

Thanks
    Reviews

Just as a side note OP,

Do you know that you will have to transfer between terminals at Sydney? As in, the domestic Virgin terminal & international terminal are not connected.

I think there is a bus for Virgin passengers between the terminals but you might want to check (I usually fly the other mob so not 100% sure on Virgin).

ETA
    Here's a link

http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...al-connections
    Last edited by misho; 22-03-2016 at 09:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It depends on whether you're checked in the whole way through. When I went to the UK (13yrs ago mind you) we came back home through Melbourne. We had to collect our bags at the international terminal at Melbourne and then check in for our domestic flight to Brisbane. We had initially been checked in from London all the way through to Brisbane, but our stopover in Singapore was extended as there was a problem with one of the doors so we actually missed our connecting flight from Melb to Bris. We were flying Qantas/BA the whole way too. Not sure if it was because of the missed flight that we had to take our bags or not. If in doubt, check with the airline. Hopefully they can help you.

Oh, and for every other connecting flight I've had domestically, my bags have always been transferred by the airline.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Always double check when you check in domestically. Some flights were checked all the way through and others weren't. Even on the opposite leg of the flight with the same airline it has been different and I have also been told the wrong info on some of my domestic check ins! Very confusing, so always double check.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Heids89 For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (22-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your bags will be checked through to your final destination. They will give you boarding passes for both flights.
    On the way home you will need to pick up your bags in Sydney (if you're coming home the same way) to go through customs then check them back in at the domestic terminal for your flight home. Have a good trip!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    ^ That makes so much sense!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Please double check this. We flew to Brisbane via Sydney from Bangkok, Qantas, all booked as one flight etc. no one told us (or some other unsuspecting passengers) but you MUST collect bags in Sydney and go through customs (coming back, unsure about going out but assume would be same, check that?!), then go to the transfer desk to have your luggage put back on domestic flight.

This was because the second leg flew into a domestic terminal and there is no international customs at Brisbane domestic. So needed to do customs at Sydney, despite all being booked and checked through etc.

They were able to sort it out, but we had to wait while they went and found our baggage etc. the other couple in same situation missed their connecting flight because of it. We narrowly made it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Just ask them when you check in. It's different depending on whether there are coshare arrangements between the flights.

Do not assume you luggage will be checked through.