Confused between night & day | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Are you keeping things bright and noisy for his day sleeps? I found with my two, I had to have them nap in the lounge where it was bright and there was lots of noise and then pitch black with soft white noise at night.

Also, don't be afraid to wake him from day naps. Even though you probably enjoy the rest and down time, don't let him sleep too long in the day.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (22-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Confused between night & day

@turquoisecoast, try and think of it as routines and schedules. Routines are a predictable pattern of 'events' (feeding, wrapping, singing, reading a story) leading up to naps and night sleep and a schedule is when you put Bub down to sleep and wake them at set times each and every day. And yes, generally 2-4 weeks is too early for schedules.

I totally agree that routines set from birth will help Bub settle better as they eventually know it leads to sleep (whether that be with you assisting them to sleep or leaving them to self settle).

Babies can self settle at that age, but that's generally a personality thing (and extremely rare! If you have a Bub like that - go and buy a lotto ticket! Haha). If your Bub can't self settle so young, this is normal and they're too young to teach them to do so, their tiny brains aren't wired to allow that as yet.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (22-03-2016),sunnygirl79  (22-03-2016),turquoisecoast  (22-03-2016),VicPark  (23-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't want to speak too soon but we had a much better night last night. It could be a random coincidence but we went out shopping all day yesterday and the last 'good' night we had was also after a day at the shops. I think getting out & about definitely helps. He still slept a lot during day but then had a massive stretch from about 6pm - 10:45pm omg I thought my boobs were about to explode!! He went back down reasonable well too sleeping until about 1:30am then woke about 3:30am but then party time until 5:30 😂. At least I got about 5 hours collectively, feel much better today!

Pram walks are pretty short atm as he doesn't love it but I am hoping that will change. DS1 was never a big pram lover either, 20 mins was about his limit. But I am going to persist as I love getting out for a walk (and later on run).

Slowly figuring out our bedtime routine, it's currently earlier than I would like but as I have a 4 yr old to consider I have to work around him too. It's easier to get DS2 down and then have time for DS1 bedtime stories etc.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

MrsMummaButterfly  (23-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Don't want to speak too soon but we had a much better night last night. It could be a random coincidence but we went out shopping all day yesterday and the last 'good' night we had was also after a day at the shops. I think getting out & about definitely helps. He still slept a lot during day but then had a massive stretch from about 6pm - 10:45pm omg I thought my boobs were about to explode!! He went back down reasonable well too sleeping until about 1:30am then woke about 3:30am but then party time until 5:30 😂. At least I got about 5 hours collectively, feel much better today!

Pram walks are pretty short atm as he doesn't love it but I am hoping that will change. DS1 was never a big pram lover either, 20 mins was about his limit. But I am going to persist as I love getting out for a walk (and later on run).

Slowly figuring out our bedtime routine, it's currently earlier than I would like but as I have a 4 yr old to consider I have to work around him too. It's easier to get DS2 down and then have time for DS1 bedtime stories etc.
    Well done @sunnygirl79
    You and the other March mummas are basically all my mentors, being due 3 months behind you, i am learning so much from you ladies 😊

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (23-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Confused between night & day

Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    @turquoisecoast, try and think of it as routines and schedules. Routines are a predictable pattern of 'events' (feeding, wrapping, singing, reading a story) leading up to naps and night sleep and a schedule is when you put Bub down to sleep and wake them at set times each and every day. And yes, generally 2-4 weeks is too early for schedules.

I totally agree that routines set from birth will help Bub settle better as they eventually know it leads to sleep (whether that be with you assisting them to sleep or leaving them to self settle).

Babies can self settle at that age, but that's generally a personality thing (and extremely rare! If you have a Bub like that - go and buy a lotto ticket! Haha). If your Bub can't self settle so young, this is normal and they're too young to teach them to do so, their tiny brains aren't wired to allow that as yet.
    I'm still confused.

my bub is basically in his own "routine" which over the 4 weeks we've observed as:

wake
    feed
    burp
    settle
    nap/sleep

he has periods of waking when we try and play with him, talk to him, cuddles etc

but this routine and the timing of it (roughly every 2 hours, 3-4 hours at night if we're lucky) has been set by and dictated by him. I'm not waking him for a feed every 2-3 hours, he's doing that and I'm adhering to his routine.

is that bad? he's so little that I don't know what else should go into a routine for him!?

we're not bathing him every day either so too early I think for bath time to signal anything for him. he's bathed every few days to keep him clean, not to put him to sleep. we do do bath time in the evening though but he generally gets quite worked up so if anything, it has the opposite effect 😂 hoping as he gets older that changes.

I'm just feeling like I'm "missing" something here. people are talking about routines etc and I am just taking my cues from him, letting him lead. is there something I'm not getting?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @turquoisecoast the only 'rule' you need to know is to 'do whatever works'. Honestly, don't over analyse it especially this early on. If what you're doing is currently working for you, don't try and change it! If it's not working (and you will know when it's not!), then no harm in experimenting I say. What works for one Bub won't for another. Some babies thrive on routine and others are just happy to go with the flow. And they can change at the drop of a hat.

I am much more 'loose' with routine this time round. I do try (relaxed) the feed, play, sleep 'order' during day, but sometimes I need to top up feed between play & sleep and that's ok too. Sometimes he just goes back to sleep after a feed no play and that's ok. It's just having options so you're not wandering why isn't he sleeping or why he isn't sleeping when he did that yesterday etc.
    Bedtime routine I found really helpful to deal with 'witching hour' with DS1. Until we introduced it, DH and I never got to eat dinner together once, as someone was always dealing with the unsettled evening baby. The bath feed sleep routine helped to calm him and give him the signal that bedtime was coming and it really worked well, so I am trying that again.

I personally never found any of the strict 'routines' worked for us but I do use some things as a loose guide when I feel a bit stuck.
    But if what your doing is working for you both, relax and enjoy!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (23-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @turquoisecoast, we did the same thing with our DS when he was tiny. He figured out his own routine, we didn't impose a schedule. I guess it's an each to your own kinda thing. @sunnygirl79 all we did to help him figure it out was to make sure there was lots of sunlight through the day, and we started to turn lights down around 5 pm. We generally only used a lamp or a night light.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you try putting a warmed wheat pack in his bassinet for 10mins before you put bub in to make it warm n cosy before you put bub in

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    @turquoisecoast the only 'rule' you need to know is to 'do whatever works'. Honestly, don't over analyse it especially this early on. If what you're doing is currently working for you, don't try and change it! If it's not working (and you will know when it's not!), then no harm in experimenting I say. What works for one Bub won't for another. Some babies thrive on routine and others are just happy to go with the flow. And they can change at the drop of a hat.

I am much more 'loose' with routine this time round. I do try (relaxed) the feed, play, sleep 'order' during day, but sometimes I need to top up feed between play & sleep and that's ok too. Sometimes he just goes back to sleep after a feed no play and that's ok. It's just having options so you're not wandering why isn't he sleeping or why he isn't sleeping when he did that yesterday etc.
    Bedtime routine I found really helpful to deal with 'witching hour' with DS1. Until we introduced it, DH and I never got to eat dinner together once, as someone was always dealing with the unsettled evening baby. The bath feed sleep routine helped to calm him and give him the signal that bedtime was coming and it really worked well, so I am trying that again.

I personally never found any of the strict 'routines' worked for us but I do use some things as a loose guide when I feel a bit stuck.
    But if what your doing is working for you both, relax and enjoy!
    thank you. I was starting to think like my newborn manual was missing a few pages 😂

17. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    thank you. I was starting to think like my newborn manual was missing a few pages 😂
    Whhhaaaa you got a manual?!! Where's mine! 😂😂

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (23-03-2016)