Confused between night & day | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Confused between night & day

DS2 is just over 2 weeks old and seems to have his days and nights mixed up. He seems to sleep fairly well during day, whether at home or out. But come night time he is really hard to settle and seems to fight sleep. I get stuck in a cycle of feed, settle repeat every hour or so, he falls asleep but wakes himself up shortly after, and this is regardless of whether he is being held or in his bassinet. I don't believe it's a cluster feed situation, had those last week but this is different. He doesn't seem hungry when he wakes, (although do feed him if he will take it, although have had a few instances where this has backfired as he is full and spits it back up). He just can't seem to stay asleep and gets increasingly overtired.
    Have tried various swaddles (which work during day), dummy, music, rocking, wearing, bassinet, our bed, our chests, tv on, tv off, night light on, pitch black darkness. I can't seem to figure it out.
    He's not crying or screaming but not sleeping so noisy and eventually does start crying as he cant soothe himself.
    I can't keep feeding him just so he sleeps for 10 mins.
    I know it's early days and anything could be the cause but the fact he is sleeping really well during day has me thinking he has got his day and night confused.
    Any tips or advice? It's happening again tonight have been trying to get him to sleep unsuccessfully for 4 hours 😭

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Congratulations on your baby. I am by no means an expert because my little girl is only 3.5 weeks old but I thought I would share what's working for us.
    We were in a similar situation and it was just like ground hog day. It was awful so we started a bedtime 'routine/ritual'. I use those terms very loosely because I'm well aware there is no such thing at thing age but for my little one it seems to help her and get her in 'the zone'.
    So we go for a walk at about 5/ 5.30 with the dogs. Then a bath or shower (every second day), a massage and in to pjs and love to dream swaddle. I will then breast feed and my parter reads us all a story. I have also downloaded an awesome app called 'rain rain' it basically just plays white noise rain or wave sounds. I put it on loud and we all sleep to it now ☺️
    So far so good as we are getting anywhere between 3-5 hours in a row πŸ™ŒπŸ½
    Last edited by A&S; 22-03-2016 at 01:33.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (22-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S View Post
    Congratulations on your baby. I am by no means an expert because my little girl is only 3.5 weeks old but I thought I would share what's working for us.
    We were in a similar situation and it was just like ground hog day. It was awful so we started a bedtime 'routine/ritual'. I use those terms very loosely because I'm well aware there is no such thing at thing age but for my little one it seems to help her and get her in 'the zone'.
    So we go for a walk at about 5/ 5.30 with the dogs. Then a bath or shower (every second day), a massage and in to pjs and love to dream swaddle. I will then breast feed and my parter reads us all a story. I have also downloaded an awesome app called 'rain rain' it basically just plays white noise rain or wave sounds. I put it on loud and we all sleep to it now ☺️
    So far so good as we are getting anywhere between 3-5 hours in a row πŸ™ŒπŸ½
    Thank you. We started a similar routine a few days ago but it only worked the one night.
    Tonight I Have managed to get him to sleep on me while I watched 2 movies in a row. I just BFd him half way through when he stirred. Just popped him in bassinet now and presto, he's stirring again! Thinking maybe it's just too early for him. Maybe in another week or so he'll be more ready, I don't know.
    I know the bedtime 'routine' worked well for DS1 but we didn't start until much later. I can't honestly remember what he was doing at the same age, it was over 4 years ago!
    Thanks again though I will persist with the bedtime routine. Have tried white noise too but no luck so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh the chest naps are lovely but not in the middle of the night. Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I found by week 3/4 dd2 was going down better for the night- but was still quite late at that age due to late naps- she was doing roughly 4-5 hour stretch from 930ish.
    I used to use a swing at that age or a bed I could rock with my hand so when I put her down and she stirred it would lull her back to sleep.

Eta: keep persisting with the white noise. Dd2 is 4.5 months and it's only in the past month or so she really settles and calms when I put it on. It's a great cue for night time.
    Dd1 still insists on her "quiet music" at 3 years- helped block out dd2s crying!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 22-03-2016 at 06:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get bub some sunshine - esp morning and late afternoon to set body rhythm. Stop using yellow or white lights near bub at night time as it simulates the light from the sun and confuses them.

Hugs. Dd3 was confused for 3 weeks after birth. I found long afternoon walks helped as afternoon sun stimulates melatonin production.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (22-03-2016),binnielici  (23-03-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (22-03-2016),smallpotatoes  (23-03-2016),sunnygirl79  (22-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    should such a young bub know the difference between night and day? I have no idea if mine does, hadn't even thought about it tbh 😳

I honestly thought it was too early for routines. that said, we've had the same waking/feeding/sleeping pattern for the last 2 nights but I'm sure that's just coincidence. we try and settle bub in his bassinet around 10:30-11pm and do a final feed shortly thereafter. we're then ending up going to bed around 11:30-midnight. last couple of nights he's slept through on this schedule til 3am exactly. I get up and feed and change him then try and resettle, usually get back to bed around 4am. he then slept through till about 6:30-7am.

it's a bit too ideal as I'm only getting up once in the night so I'm sure it won't last πŸ˜‚

no suggestions for you sunny as I'm a ftm who's got zero idea but I do hope things improve ASAP. no sleep is evil so sending massive hugs xx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies our weather has been shocking (very hot and raining a lot) so afternoon walks not consistent but will try get him out more as the weather improves. Have been letting him sleep during day rather than having an overtired baby 24/7 but I guess I need to break that cycle so he is awake more during day and hopefully sleepier at night.

Last nights experience definitely suggests he still wants to be close to mummy when he is feeling unsettled, he would re-settle on me but if he becomes that way in the bassinet he wakes himself up.

I felt better after I gave up and just watched movies on Netflix until 3am (when I woke DH for a swap!) but I can't do that every night, especially once he goes back to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @turquoisecoast it is too early for routines but having a 'bedtime routine ' can be implemented at any stage IMO. It's about teaching them what to expect, if they know a bath signals sleep is coming soon etc. apparently babies like predictability it helps to calm them, but some respond earlier and better than others.

Bub was always active at night in the womb (and made his entrance at night) maybe that's the way he is 😁

I haven't got a swing, hesitant to buy one in case he hates it, he won't lie in the bouncer for more than 2 mins. Even with DS1 bouncing it gently.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

First of all, congratulations on your beautiful baby!

I am in no way any expert as my dd is only almost 9 months old but I went through the exact same thing as you & it drove me crazy! My dd did the exact same thing. Wouldn't sleep at night & only wanted to sleep on me. I made a few small changes & it made the world of difference to us & got her sleeping better. As she is our first I had no idea haha it is very exhausting at the time though. Please just know that you are doing a good job & are a good mummy!!

We started a bedtime routine. We usually went for a walk (only when possible) in the afternoon. Would come back & bath around 6pm. We put her in a love to dream swaddle (hands up, the only swaddle she loved). She would feed, burp, I'd give her infants friend (drops for wind) & would put her down to bed. She would cry & I'd let her for a short time (and not if bad) then would go in & pat her to resettle. Would do this a few times. She took about a week but then it worked for us really well. It's really hard in the beginning to find a way you're comfortable with & that works for you. While I was feeding & putting her down to bed room would be dark with only a lamp light on so she wouldn't get stimulated by the tv or sounds etc.

Good luck, having a newborn is hard but it does get better Like I said you're doing a great job
    Last edited by Rocky27; 22-03-2016 at 07:54.