+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Heating your house

It's getting cold. My house is an ice brick. What's the most cost effective way to keep warm, when I don't have gas? (I rent so nothing permanent).

Apart from putting jumpers and trackies on which I already do. I usually have an oil heater with thermostat in DSs room to keep the chill out, and our bedroom is ok but our lounge room is freezing and last year our bill was insane with an electric fan type heater.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I rent too.. One thing that I have done at a few places I've lived is put up heavy block out curtains.. Often the curtain rods, or at least the brackets, have already been there, if not, I just put them up. When I move out, I leave the brackets up, no holes in the wall to fill. I've never had a r/e say anything.

If you struggle to afford the expensive curtains, you can often buy them on sale at spotlight. Or even second hand at op shops.

Burning candles can help take the chill out of the air. Bunnings sell 100 packs of tea light candles for a couple of dollars. I half fill a salad bowl with water and float the candles in there, I think it makes candles safer if they're in water.

If you're using oil column heaters, they are much more economical if you leave them on low, 24/7, with the door closed. It's when you initially turn them on that they heat the oil and draw the most power.

I hope that helps, even a little..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

rainbow road  (21-03-2016)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I second block out curtains. Draw them as soon as the sun goes down. And seal up any drafty doors and windows with stoppers- you can just make them out of old tights. As well as socks and a jumper I also always wear a really warm dressing gown at home in winter and the kids do too. Nice hot cups of tea or hot chocolate really warm you up too! We don't have gas heating so I rarely turn on a heater unless we have guests. And I'm in Melbourne!
    ETA- I made my own curtains by buying long heavy curtain fabric at spotlight when it was on sale and doubling them over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll look into curtains! We don't have the fixture thingies but I'm sure they won't mind if we put them in,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Electric rugs. Best invention ever. And so economical.

I recommend something like this

https://m.groupon.com.au/deals/natio...-Rug/716950903

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't believe I don't already have one. Definitely getting one @BigRedV.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I can't believe I don't already have one. Definitely getting one @BigRedV.
    We've got 3

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got an electric throw rug, that's great, I also have oil fin heaters in all the bedrooms because I can't stand the cold, I feel it really bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with @preggasaurus and @FearlessLeader. We did the same as both when we were living in ACT. There is also a thing called a HeaterMate. It's essentially a thermostat, attach it to your heater and the heater will keep the room at the same temp +/- one degree.

We just turned the oil column heater in the lounge room on low in the mornings (but I used the gas heater to warm the room up. Gas was more expensive than running the oil heaters in ACT). Wouldn't have bothered with the heater if it wasn't for DS. I am usually ok with the non heating methods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a heated jacket ! Best thibg ever.. the pockets are even heated !