Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    F

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    I would try to find one that has same/similar font to what is used in schools in your state otherwise he will be forming the wrong habits when it comes to writing.
    This is mainly what I was thinking, I just didn't want to teach him the wrong way and he has to re learn. He's doing it all himself but that's a good idea to get a hold of the school fonts, I've friends with kids who will know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with above. My daughter is at prep and the teachers gave a great info session on this and although hard to explain now, its best to teach them the correct way to write their letters. Eg. Don't say do a circle then line down for a lowercase a- they should be writing lowercase is one fluid motion. She said it can be alot harder to retrain, so to speak, if they are taught a different way and they find it difficult to fix.
    I got similar books above from big w and i think even QBD sells them. Teachers also said focus on lowercase letters rather than uppercase.
    But so awesome that your little one is keen to learn, good luck with it, sounds like your being an awesome mum and very encouraging

Thanks
    Reviews
    Teach lower case. It's very hard to break the habit of children writing everything in upper case! Find something that uses the same handwriting that your state uses. Reading eggs have good programs and books that go with them also letter land is what quite a few VIC schools use for letter formation. They have sheets and workbooks etc - as far as I know you can get them as a parent and not just as a teacher.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    This is mainly what I was thinking, I just didn't want to teach him the wrong way and he has to re learn. He's doing it all himself but that's a good idea to get a hold of the school fonts, I've friends with kids who will know.
    Sounds like a good idea as the books in the shops e.g. Coles have a very different font to that used in schools (I'm in Qld where the font is very angular, not sure about other states).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does he want to learn to write?
    He seems to young. Don't force him. He'll learn when he's ready. Don't stress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeschooling4 View Post
    Does he want to learn to write?
    He seems to young. Don't force him. He'll learn when he's ready. Don't stress.
    As said in my original post, he's completely self led. He spent an hour when we got home yesterday writing letters with chalk on the pavers, so yes he does seem to want to learn. He wants me to call out letters while he writes them.

He's writing mainly capital letters it seems so I think those tracing sheets will be great for him to start. Thanks heaps for the advice all!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (22-03-2016),Homeschooling4  (22-03-2016),Mamasupial  (22-03-2016),Ngaiz  (22-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    As said in my original post, he's completely self led. He spent an hour when we got home yesterday writing letters with chalk on the pavers, so yes he does seem to want to learn. He wants me to call out letters while he writes them.

He's writing mainly capital letters it seems so I think those tracing sheets will be great for him to start. Thanks heaps for the advice all!
    What a little clever clogs. My DS judt turned 3. They are learning letters rtc and he wrote his best friends name on the birthday card we got him (he has 'easy' letters in his name).

DS prefers pointing out the letters for now but I was also going to look for some books if he was interested. They grow up so fast though!