+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What would you do??

So my youngest has started prep this year and I'm currently rostered on 3 days a week but have the potential to do supply 2 days as well.

If I want to increase my fraction to full time I need to do so by the end of next term. I'm struggling with making this decision... Financially I'd be a little better off (not much as I'd lose Centrelink payments) but I'd also pay off my HECS quicker. I've listed pros and cons below but I guess I'm just asking what you'd do in my situation...

Full time Permanent
    Pros
    - I have a good taxable income which would be beneficial when applying for a home loan in a few years
    - I have my own class and don't need to communicate constantly with a teaching partner
    - I choose the direction of my class and don't need to compromise or rely on others
    - I know what I'm doing every day and I'll have more non contact time and less duties (When supply I get no NCT and a duty)
    - I'll know my class better

Cons
    - I'm not much better off financially as I pay higher tax, hecs debt, lose Centrelink and child support (which isn't much anyway)
    - I'll be working 5 days a week and will need to be better organised
    - no down time
    - appointments will need to be squeezed in around after school commitments but it's doable.
    - home life may take a back seat a little
    - can't help out in my kids classrooms as a parent any more.

Staying permanent 3 days and doing supply for 2
    Pros
    - I can keep my single parent pension card
    - less days on deck means house can stay tidy and it's not a full on week as I can say no to some days
    - much the same financially
    - good work/life balance
    - still get CL & CS

Cons
    - on paper not the best taxable income
    - hard work week as I usually work over 4 different classes in the week and supply is harder without the student rapport
    - constant communication with other staff and they have a different standard to me in terms of planning & expectations
    - double the amount of parent contact

I've not finished the list yet but that's a start... You catch my drift??
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 21-03-2016 at 13:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd wait till you are closer to buying a house. Then once I've got the loan would likely go back to 3 days

Kids are only young once

I love spending time with my kids and having them around.

It didn't happen much atm but am decorated working toward it

I don't get centre link myself though would be entitled if i applied

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The important thing to me is always having a good work/life balance.

So if it were me I would continue with 3 days for a while longer.

But my boy is younger than your boys so not sure how I would feel in a few years.

How often do these opportunities come up?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (21-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd go full time.

Don't forget that you will also get more super by working full time.

Unfortunately I've learnt the hard way in the past few months that child support is not always guaranteed plus FTBs etc can be wiped out by a change in government policy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (21-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What would you do??

It sounds to me that full time would give you the most job satisfaction/enjoyment. It also gives you a more stable and reliable income. Given that both your kids are now at school, I'd probably go with the full time option.

It would be good to settle into full time before thinking about getting a loan rather than going full time immediately before applying for a mortgage - not so much for the bank, but so that you're used to and comfortable with working full time and it's not such a big change at the time (we're in the process of trying to buy a house and I'm also trying to get a job, so will go from being home full time to 3-4 days of work, and it's a lot of change at once!!).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Theboys&me  (21-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a job on wages for only 2 weeks and got a loan after low self employed history of 20 years

If you get a raise it should be considered tight away particularly in your case if it is a change from pt to ft with same employment.

Worst case senario would be 3 months in new position.

You can never ever buy time back. Once spent there are no returns.

I agree with twinklify

End of the day it deoends on what satisfies you and makes you happy while providing fir your children what you think is best. Time v's money. Sometimes we have little choice.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

Theboys&me  (21-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went full time last year and am back to 3 days sharing a class this year. My kids are 8 and 2.5.

I do feel like I have less ownership of my class/can't do things entirely my way and I am not having that "career satisfaction" feeling as much. The trade off though, and it is a big one, is at 3 days my life feels so much closer to balanced. Last year I was just flying through at a whirlwind pace with barely time to catch my breath along the way. IIt was a means to an end though and we saved a heap of money to get our deposit together.

Take home pay doesn't change as much as you would hope as full time it all goes in tax! Relief/supply work is harder in the moment, but you can waltz out the door at 3.45 with a spring in your step waving to the regular staff who still have another hour or 2 to go for the day.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (21-03-2016),Theboys&me  (21-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't understand what supply means. Is that casual?
    How often does the opportunity to go FT come about?

I would be leaning towards 3 days personally. Though workwise, FT sounds nice.... it's a tough one! But to me personally, home/work life balance is very very important, more important than buying a house etc.
    Also I know you're a single mum, and so it's harder to get that balance right, as you are doing 110% of the home/kid duties. All of the sport, all of the homework, all of everything (I'm sure I don't need to list it for you!).... but whereas I have friends who complain of being busy working and ferrying children to sports doing homework cooking cleaning etc while their husbands are doing their fair share of the jobs... I think they forget that I do everything, all of the time. So I guess what I'm trying to say is... keep in mind when you get friendly advice that "I do FT and it's ok", that perhaps they have a second person sharing the load.
    I hope that makes sense.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd go full time.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Theboys&me  (21-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Part time without a doubt. The only reason I would consider fulltime in your position would be if I was going to buy a house in the next 12 months or I was earning a lot more.
    You are fortunate enough to be able to live a decent life working part time enjoy it! You have plenty of time in the future to work fulltime when your kids are in high school. You have 20-30 years of work ahead of you make the most of now.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post: