+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes they can. New laws have been passed that will stop you leaving the country. If you stop repayments you will also be charged interest. I'm not sure what happens if you leave while still making repayments. Contact Centrelink and explain your situation you maybe able to leave based on your circumstances. Do not stop payments because if you come back you might find your debt has increased significantly due to interest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't see why you can't just speak to them and be honest about your situation?

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (22-03-2016),Curby  (22-03-2016),TheGooch  (22-03-2016),VicPark  (22-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Yes they can. New laws have been passed that will stop you leaving the country. If you stop repayments you will also be charged interest. I'm not sure what happens if you leave while still making repayments. Contact Centrelink and explain your situation you maybe able to leave based on your circumstances. Do not stop payments because if you come back you might find your debt has increased significantly due to interest.
    What new laws? I haven't seen anything in the media about it. Has it been kept really quiet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What do you have against being upfront and just telling them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ex was stopped at the airport from leaving the country because he owed $12,000 in child support.

Federal Police pulled him aside at check in and stopped him boarding. He was also questioned as to why he can afford an overseas holiday but can't pay his C.S.

He was only allowed to depart when he paid half the debt upfront and entered into a payment plan for the remainder.

I would seek legal advice.

I know yours is a C'link debt, but it is a debt owed to the Commonwealth which might make it an issue for you.
    Last edited by Cicho; 22-03-2016 at 19:56.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cicho For This Useful Post:

Californication  (24-03-2016),DarcyJ  (24-03-2016),Ngaiz  (22-03-2016),PomPoms  (24-03-2016),Wise Enough  (22-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicho View Post
    My ex was stopped at the airport from leaving the country because he owed $12,000 in child support.

Federal Police pulled him aside at check in and stopped him boarding. He was also questioned as to why he can afford an overseas holiday but can't pay his C.S.

He was only allowed to depart when he paid half the debt upfront and entered into a payment plan for the remainder.

I would seek legal advice.

I know yours is a C'link debt, but it is a debt owed to the Commonwealth which might make it an issue for you.
    That's awesome. Well not that he didn't pay CS to start with but that the federal police gave a crap and did something. I like it

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (22-03-2016),LoveLivesHere  (24-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Dust View Post
    What new laws? I haven't seen anything in the media about it. Has it been kept really quiet?
    http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Hansard/Hansard_Display?bid=chamber/hansardr/563b33e2-7088-4c58-9ed7-833adbfece13/&sid=0008

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry can't seem to post link.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't see why you can't just tell them. If you're not supposed to leave the country, they will tell you. And if that is the case, you're not going to be doing yourself any favours by just not telling them and trying to sneak out. You obviously think you are doing the wrong thing, otherwise you wouldn't have posted this. Just ask Centrelink. Wouldn't you rather go away knowing that you have gone about things the right way, than worrying about what is going to happen if/when you come back?

Also, as others have said since you are planning on being gone long term, you need to tell them anyway as you need to sort out your payments. Otherwise you will be in even more trouble.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've called them its fine. Wasn't doing wrong thing at all, I've had my reasons, won't go into it. Thanks for your replies, but its all good now, cheers.