+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Centrelink debt and going overseas..

Hi, I owe centrelink about $6000 because of an over payment, I have set up a plan and I'm paying it back. Will they stop me from going overseas until it is all paid? Like if I was to get to the airport, would they stop me and say sorry you can't leave as you owe centrelink $6000. I wouldn't think so but I'm just asking if anyone knows or has been through this. I plan to pay it back regardless of where I am but I'm planning on going away and not sure when I'll be back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Interesting Q, just bumping it for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it just a holiday? Extended leave? Are you on payments still? I do not think they will not let you out of the country if it is just a holiday. If it is long term - not sure what happens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They can't stop you leaving the country. You will be fine to go on your trip. Just don't forget to tell them you are going and of your return. Depending on what payment you get it may stop as soon as you leave or after 6 weeks if you are gone longer than that.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pixie Dust For This Useful Post:

Emmalovesleo  (22-03-2016),Wise Enough  (22-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanx pixie, but what if I don't tell them bcoz truth is I don't know how long I'm going for or if I'll come back however I still can make payments, so really the question is if I don't tell them and just show up for my flight, there's nothing to say, owes 6000 and hasn't contacted so can't go. I think it'll be ok, just thought if someone out there has done it, I'd rather avoid calling them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The Department of Immigration will definitely notify Centrelink that you have left the country. The notification would take days not minutes so would not affect you getting on the plane. You may experience some difficulty on return though.

I think you should phone Centrelink and be honest with them. Even better pay out the debt before you go overseas. If you are currently receiving benefits you need to let them know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Pretty sure debts over 5000 can cause you some issues with travel. I would definitely let them know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are receiving any payments, you may need to tell them depending on the type of payment, as it may affect them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think so? you're not a prisoner of Australia because you owe money, esp if there's payment plan in place? I have a payment plan in place for a tax debt, as long as you're meeting the repayments then I don't see the issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They know instantly if you've left the country...not days as in the link shows up straight away. If your going for longer than 6 weeks u need to let them know as your payments would drop to base rate once it's over 6 weeks and part b stops till you return so I would call them because you might not have enough funds for payments to continue to be deducted...it's not as simple as not letting them know but just paying them unless your not on any payments and have already gotten alternative plans in place. But no they won't stop you leaving....it doesn't happen like that.