Mri

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    Has anyone else's child had an MRI?
    How did they go with it? Were they sedated?
    Yes, DD had one 2 weeks ago, at 11 days old.
    I fed and burped first, then swaddled her.
    She slept through it- no sedation.

ETA: It took 2hrs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Mri

My five year old is booked in for an urgent mri on his brain.
    He has an appointment with a play therapist a few hours before hand to decide if he will need to be sedated or not.
    Quietly crapping myself.
    The play therapists are amazing! Like effing amazing. They play with them about putting in the masks and how it smells like chocolate. They also help the time pass. Natural to be crapping yourself, how stressful!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Lincolns mummy  (21-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My five year old is booked in for an urgent mri on his brain.
    He has an appointment with a play therapist a few hours before hand to decide if he will need to be sedated or not.
    Quietly crapping myself.
    I can't believe they are even questioning whether to sedate, honestly. How on earth do you expect a 5 year old to stay completely and utterly still for 45 minutes? They don't have to use a heavy anaesthetic, so they wake up very quickly and are alert again in no time. The MRI machine is a huge 'donut' (for want of a better word), and it is very noisy. Anyone who is claustrophobic is recommended to have sedation and at DD's hospital it seems to be standard to sedate littlies.

I hope everything is ok with your little fella!?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I can't believe they are even questioning whether to sedate, honestly. How on earth do you expect a 5 year old to stay completely and utterly still for 45 minutes? They don't have to use a heavy anaesthetic, so they wake up very quickly and are alert again in no time. The MRI machine is a huge 'donut' (for want of a better word), and it is very noisy. Anyone who is claustrophobic is recommended to have sedation and at DD's hospital it seems to be standard to sedate littlies.

I hope everything is ok with your little fella!?
    He is going to the Children's in Melbourne on Wednesday. That was the quickest they could get us in when our doctor contacted them today.
    I've had an MRI so found it odd that he wouldn't be sedated, it's a full on experience.
    DS was diagnosed recently with migraines but they are becoming very frequent very fast and he is getting a lot of random blurred vision.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

babyla  (21-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS is due to have one soon. He'll be put under.

Will be following this thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Mri

He is going to the Children's in Melbourne on Wednesday. That was the quickest they could get us in when our doctor contacted them today.
    I've had an MRI so found it odd that he wouldn't be sedated, it's a full on experience.
    DS was diagnosed recently with migraines but they are becoming very frequent very fast and he is getting a lot of random blurred vision.
    My DS had his there too. They are amazing! The anaesthetists were phenomenal but I'm biased because anaesthetists are my favourite people. He's in excellent hands OP!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    My DS had his there too. They are amazing! The anaesthetists were phenomenal but I'm biased because anaesthetists are my favourite people. He's in excellent hands OP!
    Yeah anaesthetists are so super friendly, hey. DD has had so many anaesthetics that I've chatted to heaps of them and they're all nice. Especially the paediatric ones.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

babyla  (21-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Yeah anaesthetists are so super friendly, hey. DD has had so many anaesthetics that I've chatted to heaps of them and they're all nice. Especially the paediatric ones.
    They're so amazing!!! Every single one we had with DS and my 2 c sections have all been incredible. I love them! They're the unsung heroes of the medical fraternity 🙌

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Hollywood  (21-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just spoke to the MRI people again and we are going to try the scan with no sedation. Fingers crossed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update
    DS had his MRI last week, he was bumped from an urgent case to emergency.
    He was amazing! The scan went for an hour and he didn't flinch once! He just lay back, watched a movie and did exactly what was asked of him. I was so proud of him.
    We get the results on Thursday.

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (28-03-2016),Albert01  (28-03-2016),babyla  (28-03-2016),bezzy  (29-03-2016),Mamasupial  (28-03-2016),Ngaiz  (28-03-2016),Seoul  (28-03-2016),twinklify  (28-03-2016),wobbleyhorse  (28-03-2016),yadot  (28-03-2016)