+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bio-Oil in 1st Trimester - a little worried :(

Hi All,
    I'm 8 weeks 1 day today and pre-pregnancy, I had tons of friends recommend that when I became pregnant, I should use Bio-Oil to keep my skin hydrated and hopefully prevent stretch marks. So, trying to keep on top of things, I've been using it since about the 4.5 week mark. I work in healthcare and also distinctly remember being told by a rep that it was no problem in pregnancy.

Despite this, being an anxious first time Mum, I decided to do a bit of research tonight and ofcourse panicked at the conflicting info on its safety (due to it containing retinyl palmitate). I live overseas currently, so the package insert wasn't in English. Can any Mums out there help to reassure me that using it in the first trimester did no harm to their bub? I also plan to run it past my obgyn next time I see her and won't use it again until I do.
    Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bio-Oil in 1st Trimester - a little worried :(

Quote Originally Posted by firsttimemummakat View Post
    Hi All,
    I'm 8 weeks 1 day today and pre-pregnancy, I had tons of friends recommend that when I became pregnant, I should use Bio-Oil to keep my skin hydrated and hopefully prevent stretch marks. So, trying to keep on top of things, I've been using it since about the 4.5 week mark. I work in healthcare and also distinctly remember being told by a rep that it was no problem in pregnancy.

Despite this, being an anxious first time Mum, I decided to do a bit of research tonight and ofcourse panicked at the conflicting info on its safety (due to it containing retinyl palmitate). I live overseas currently, so the package insert wasn't in English. Can any Mums out there help to reassure me that using it in the first trimester did no harm to their bub? I also plan to run it past my obgyn next time I see her and won't use it again until I do.
    Thanks in advance
    I had a similar experience as yourself but the difference was that it was recommended to me not to use it because it contains lavender oil (not recommended in first trimester.) it actually puzzled me why a product so highly recommended for pregnancy and stretch marks etc uses essential oils not recommended in pregnancy.

My use of it had no ill effect that I'm aware of but I would steer clear of it just to be on the safe side.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Blinky76 For This Useful Post:

firsttimemummakat  (21-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I started using a similar product during pregnancy which said it was specifically for helping prevent pregnancy stretch marks. After a month or so I read the ingredients list and saw it contained Vitamin A. I had the same reaction as you - we are told not to have Vitamin A and why the hell is it in products designed for pregnancy?! I had been so careful to read the ingredients on all of my skin care products and stop using any with Vitamin A.

Lots of pregnant women use Bio Oil and I think if there had been issues with effects on babies it probably would have come to light by now. But I didn't use it again just in case! Oh and bub turned out perfect

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used it during both pregnancies including first trimester with no ill effects.
    I'm sure if there was a concern they would have a warning on the bottle saying not suitable in first trimester

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I used it during both pregnancies including first trimester with no ill effects.
    I'm sure if there was a concern they would have a warning on the bottle saying not suitable in first trimester
    you'd hope so but I've got no faith in product labeling. so many juices I found out I was drinking during pregnancy were unpasteurized. when I emailed the company suggesting this is reflected in the labeling, I was given very short change.

I'd be doing my own research and making decisions accordingly. I was lucky to be told by my sister about not using products containing retinol during pregnancy. had she not told me, I probably wouldn't have had a clue!

Thanks
    Reviews
    From memory, and I don't want to alarm you, it does say you should only start using it from second trimester. That's what I recall but I did read some research that showed the absorption through the skin was so minuscule that it wasn't cause for concern. I think they are being overly cautious. I know of at least 2 people who used it religiously from the second they found out they were pregnant. No ill effect.

You can't change having used the product I'm afraid and I understand why you are worried but I'm sure everything will be just fine xx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    The leaflet that comes with bio oil actually does stipulate from 2nd trimester so I am guessing that is their version of a veiled warning ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As others have said its marketed to prevent stretch marks and thousands of women use it during pregnancy. I wouldn't worry about having already used it for a few weeks it's not like you're drinking the stuff. The labelling/warnings are a liability thing, they can't prove its safe and therefore easier to say don't use it.

However, now that you know, I would be swapping for a more natural product such as rosehip or coconut oil (I used a combo of both). There are also some excellent purpose-made natural products out there, and TBH they all do essentially the same thing in keeping your skin supple and elastic and moisturised. Whether or not this helps prevent stretch marks is purely genetic IMO. But I always like to be on the safe side and use it regardless.

Your skin is a massive organ and does absorb everything so be mindful (but don't stress out) about any products you're using. It's the build up of chemicals that causes issues, not the occasional use etc.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinky76 View Post
    The leaflet that comes with bio oil actually does stipulate from 2nd trimester so I am guessing that is their version of a veiled warning ..
    Oh yes it does. How easy could it be interpreted that there's no point using it in the first trimester as ones tummy isn't stretching yet rather than it being a no-no because of health concerns. Grrr!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (21-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Your skin is a massive organ and does absorb everything so be mindful (but don't stress out) about any products you're using.
    Actually, the skin's job is to protect not absorb. Most skin products, due to the size of their particles are physically unable to penetrate the skin and just soften/plump/etc the outer 'dead' layers.

OP, I wouldn't worry about maybes. Just stop using it now, stay hydrated, eat some good oils and pray that you have good genetics!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (21-03-2016)