+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I'm wondering what people's hobbies are and also their OH's?

My DH has always played sport. Golf and soccer since we met. He no longer plays soccer but still plays golf.

I've never had any hobbies. Really, I haven't. It's never been a problem up until we became parents as he continues to play golf once a week (and on EVERY public holiday) yet I've not got a thing.

I have just recently started a TAFE course so I go in one night a week for 1 subject but I'm always home to put DD down to sleep (DH puts DS to sleep before I'm home) and I'm doing a second subject externally so my study is done after the kids are in bed or during my lunch breaks at work.

So he still has more time out from being at work and being a parent than I do, and I'm beginning to resent that.

Anyone else like me, or do those of you with partners who have their own thing to do independently, balance it out by also having time just to yourself as well?

Or anyone like me but they're okay with it? How can I become more ok with it?
    Both- I DO have hobbies of my own, but I still resent that he can up and leave for his.

I swim twice a week- haven't since bub born but will take her with me when I go back (where I swim runs a baby water readiness class and have a creche).
    I read a lot- done in the home.
    I play piano- done in the home.

He plays guitar and sings in a band- once a fortnight
    He plays golf- public holidays only
    He has regular cinema 'dates' with a friend.

ETA: I will be studying from July- again at home.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH has multiple hobbies. He's the kind of person who likes to be busy all the time. He plays sport - hockey (2 teams in winter, 1 in summer) and baseball in summer (had this summer off due to bub). He has a race car and competes in 8-10 races per year, mainly in the cooler months so at least once a month from March-October. Those races involve 1-2 days on a weekend and usually 2hrs away from home. I also count as his other hobbies: home brewing (takes about 4hrs once a fortnight) and his aquaponics system at home. He also spends quite a bit of time in the workshop working on the race car and other things. He also does some courses of interest from time to time, last one was a welding course one night a week for 6 weeks.
    As for me - I have no formal hobbies. I've always been happy to chill out and do nothing at home. I've always worked more than full time so I've always had lots of work to and my extra work has kind of been my hobby. Other than that looking after the house and cooking would be my hobbies. I'm also doing part time post grad study which I consider a hobby.
    Before DD arrived 8.5 months ago I pretty much did everything and facilitated all of DHs hobbies by making life easier so he could physically do all those things. I would also watch his home hockey games and go with to all the car races to help. Now with DD I don't have time or energy to do everything so I'm expecting more of him and also that hobbies are on the back burner for a while. He's having a bit of a hard time adjusting to that but he needs to as I'm struggling with resentment building up already that he gets time out to do things and he needs to not take the pi$$ and give me a break too. It's a hard balance. My DH has always been good at making time for himself, I'm terrible at it and that's my fault not his.
    I think this is a mum paradox in a way. I'm desperate for time out but I hate being away from DD. I also have no real interest in hobbies.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DP plays cricket all summer, that's his hobby. I'm more the home based hobby type, like craft and cooking.

Now that we're on a farm (we bought 80+ acres last November) we are building up gradually towards having a working hobby farm. Currently there are cows agisted in the paddocks, but we will eventually have our own livestock and other animals. The next thing to get is chooks, once my DD's chemo treatment finishes. The more animals we get, the busier we will all become and in a way the upkeep of our farm will be my/our 'hobby'. We will get a veggie patch started during winter too. This is one reason I love living on a farm, it's a busy lifestyle and keeps you occupied and active. I kind of hated living in the city by contrast, not much you can do on 600sqm!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I too resent the fact that my DH can just go about his duties/hobbies (cutting the grass/gardening, walking the dog, playing tennis, motorbike riding, even replying to emails) whenever he chooses. I totally get the benefits of having a hobby - socially, mentally, physically, but not at the expense of family time and when I need him to pull his weight around the house.

I've started on a few hobbies like scrapbooking and cross-stitch but never seem to find the time to finish. In saying this, my days are always busy so I don't really have the time for hobbies and I'm OK with that. I'm OK with that cos I'm comfortable with it and don't really have anything else I'm passionate about.

Don't get me wrong, my DH is a good guy, but is a tad lazy and has no idea how to help around the house (I blame my MIL). If he didn't have any hobbies I would be much happier. Or if he could do his hobbies AND help with housework I'd be over the moon. In saying this, I would also feel bad stopping him from doing what he wants as he works hard and is a good DH & father. Arghhhh, I need to clone him LOL

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AceOfBase For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love rollerskating and walking - especially bush walking, i find it sooo relaxing

Hubby is a gamer, loves his MMOs especially. So id say thats his main hobby. He has also started doing a bit of acting.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting subject!

We don't have any kids, but we each have hobbies.

Both of us are avid readers. We go to the library together once a fortnight to borrow books, and will generally head to bed early (8.30pm) to read a few chapters rather than watch tv of an evening.

We also both like working our vegie patch. DH is more hands on than I, but I like to plan it out and select the plants, and I do the harvesting. DH tends to the garden, does the digging and watering, and also takes care of our yard and flower beds.

Visiting markets is another of our mutually enjoyed hobbies. We like to get out and about, have a look around, and maybe grab a snag in bread for breaky

Separately, DH rides his bike for half an hour each evening. He really enjoys that. He also loves his car and spends time cleaning and servicing it.

As for me, I love to cook. I subscribe to two foodie magazines and often bake on the weekends. I do a lot of internet surfing - Facebook, Bub Hub, email.

Generally we lead fairly quiet lives. We are not one of those overly romantic couples who have to be in each other's pockets all the time. We are rather like 3 year olds actually - happy to play quietly side by side on our own separate tasks!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    My DP plays cricket all summer, that's his hobby. I'm more the home based hobby type, like craft and cooking.

Now that we're on a farm (we bought 80+ acres last November) we are building up gradually towards having a working hobby farm. Currently there are cows agisted in the paddocks, but we will eventually have our own livestock and other animals. The next thing to get is chooks, once my DD's chemo treatment finishes. The more animals we get, the busier we will all become and in a way the upkeep of our farm will be my/our 'hobby'. We will get a veggie patch started during winter too. This is one reason I love living on a farm, it's a busy lifestyle and keeps you occupied and active. I kind of hated living in the city by contrast, not much you can do on 600sqm!

I used to own a flock of 13 chooks (and one rooster, called George!)

They are a bit of work but SO much fun.

I got so much enjoyment out of them, and was very sad when we had to adopt them out due to moving home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    I used to own a flock of 13 chooks (and one rooster, called George!)

They are a bit of work but SO much fun.

I got so much enjoyment out of them, and was very sad when we had to adopt them out due to moving home.
    Yeah I can't wait to get chooks, they are so funny. The farm we bought has a chicken coop already, with everything it needs so all we need now are the actual chooks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Yeah I can't wait to get chooks, they are so funny. The farm we bought has a chicken coop already, with everything it needs so all we need now are the actual chooks!

They ARE funny! I thought I was the only one who thought that! Your DD will love them too, they make excellent pets. I hope her treatments are progressing well. What a strong woman you must be. I wish you all the very best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How is the peacock @Hollywood?