+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Refuses formula at daycare

I'm usually quite confident with feeding choices for my DD but this one I'm a bit unsure of...

DD is 9 months old and has been mixed fed since she was 4 weeks, although primarily breastfed. She had always been happy to have a bottle of formula provided to her by anyone.

DD started daycare at 7 months old and won't drink formula there. I thought because she'd been mixed fed from so young there would be no problems, I was wrong

She eats plenty of solids and drinks lots of water at daycare.

She is BF in the morning and evening and every 2-3 hr overnight.

When she isn't at daycare she will BF during the day. I don't make an effort to BF, DD will grab my b00bs and start feeding of her own accord

I'm not sure if I should ask her carers to really push her to drink formula during the day?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go with your gut instinct! Me, personally I wouldn't get them to push it. She's still getting breastmilk, eating heaps etc. I provided expressed breastmilk for my DD at daycare, she wasn't that interested in it. I think the older kids eating and drinking water distracts them and they want to copy! (Obviously if weight gain is a concern, get them to push it more)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad84 View Post
    Go with your gut instinct! Me, personally I wouldn't get them to push it. She's still getting breastmilk, eating heaps etc. I provided expressed breastmilk for my DD at daycare, she wasn't that interested in it. I think the older kids eating and drinking water distracts them and they want to copy! (Obviously if weight gain is a concern, get them to push it more)
    Thank you. I don't have a gut instinct on this one, happy to hear others Weight gain is not an issue, DD is 98th percentile for height and off the charts for weight. She looks like a bald two year old 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    If she's getting enough intake and is happy, I wouldn't push.

My daughter refused to feed at all at childcare however we had big weight issues and she kept getting UTI's so they pushed on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Refuses formula at daycare

My youngest never had formula and started daycare at 6 months. She refused so much expressed milk there in bottles I gave up and made sure I breastfed her when I dropped her off and as soon as I arrived to pick her up.

If they're eating solids on the other days I wouldn't worry. But my daughter was only in care 2 days a week at that age so it wasn't worth the worry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My middle child also refused bottles at that age in daycare. But she survived with food and water. Again no weight issues plus it was only 2 days a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    My youngest never had formula and started daycare at 6 months. She refused so much expressed milk there in bottles I gave up and made sure I breastfed her when I dropped her off and as soon as I arrived to pick her up.

If they're eating solids on the other days I wouldn't worry. But my daughter was only in care 2 days a week at that age so it wasn't worth the worry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    My middle child also refused bottles at that age in daycare. But she survived with food and water. Again no weight issues plus it was only 2 days a week.
    Same here. DS fed on drop off and pick up. And he was only at CC 2 days a week.