+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Wwyd: Madonna incident

Here's a Saturday night topic for everyone:

What would you do/say to the media if this was your 17 year old daughter?

http://www.9news.com.au/entertainmen...roud-of-moment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't know, will probably think some more and add later. But my initial thoughts... She will probably feel ok about the publicity if that's what she wants (to be recognised) BUT I think it is poor form to dismiss something as "harmless" when you are not the "victim" for want of a better word AND the fact that she is 17. Her mum needs a slap - protect your "child". This sort of thing seems to happen when the parent has something to gain... and Madonna? Seriously poor judgment considering 'spanking' a 17yo minor. Law suit central. Anywho....

In response to your question: What would I say to the media if this was my 17yo? I would hope I would never have such poor judgement to think it was ok in the first place but I would ask for the footage to be pulled. No amount of money or fame is worth your humility and self respect - something I would fight to protect for my children.
    Last edited by KitiK; 19-03-2016 at 19:07.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (19-03-2016),VicPark  (19-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As far as I know (from the usual media bias) she is an aspiring model etc so this will give her exposure. Whether or not this is something that is healthy and something she really wants - well I don't know.

I have made my views on this known already but a big issue I have with this is laughing and joking about it being sexual assault. It is not a joke. It should never be a joke.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (19-03-2016),VicPark  (19-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

I would like to think my child would never be in that situation. She wouldn't be modeling for starters. If by some miracle my child still found herself in that position I would say something there and then in front if everyone "oi! Enough- it's over.".

If I wasn't there I would write to Madonnas company expressing my disgust and asking for an apology. If the media asked for my opinion I would give them an earful about how Madonna is an idiot who is teaching kids the wrong message about bodily autonomy and respect. As pp mentioned I would demand any footage be pulled.

I wouldn't care if my 17 year old was happy about it. The human brain doesn't mature until 27ish. There is no way a 17 year old can fully comprehend the implications of what happened.

I think the mum in this story is a nincompoop - just want to grab her by the shoulders and shake her until she realises the error of her ways. She is setting her kid up for a heap of body and other issues down the track.

1) allowing her to model ... And so publicly at a young age. The kid will grow up thinking she is the sum of her looks ... A recipe for disaster if for some reason she acquires some physical imperfections.

2) not teaching her daughter her body is her body and is not to be disrespected by anyone!. What happens next time someone (a dirty perve?) does something inappropriate?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (19-03-2016),babyno1onboard  (19-03-2016),KitiK  (20-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What I find disgusting is how it's been basically not talked about anymore ( I can't find anything about it since it happened) yet I know if a man did it to the young girl all hell would break loose and no doubt he'd be in the news - social media constantly

It's double standards and I'm over it.

Madonna lost all credibility in my eyes . She should be sent home

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (19-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    What I find disgusting is how it's been basically not talked about anymore ( I can't find anything about it since it happened) yet I know if a man did it to the young girl all hell would break loose and no doubt he'd be in the news - social media constantly
    How is it double standards or not talked about? A woman pulling down another female's top is all over the news and lots and lots of people are showing disgust. So it isn't double standards

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

A. It's Madonna. Not some random man in the street. No different if it was Kanye or Drake. Not that Drake would be so dumb but you get my point.

B. It was for both of their promotion. Anyone with any clue about Madonna these days knows she'll do anything for attention. They should have and would have gone in with their eyes open.

C. The mum is an idiot for fuelling the debate but they want publicity. The best thing the media can do is ignore all of them.

D. While modelling wouldn't be my choice of career for my kids it can earn smart kids a lot of money in a short period of time. Honestly if it was a choice between doing 10 hour shifts at McDonald's for crappy minimum wage modelling might be better.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

babyla  (19-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    And @Louise41 not everything is men vs women.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

delirium  (19-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

I can totally see where you're coming from. We ALWAYS harp on about feminism and the way women are depicted and treated and how disgusted we all are about DV etc. As Louise said if this was a man who had done something like this there would be soooo much uproar. No one would be fobbing it off as wellllll that's just such and such or, it's just publicity....

I don't give two hoots that this girl (that's what she is, a girl) was okay with this, and her mum was proud of her. It's just another sexualisation of women incident that shouldn't be tolerated and there's no excuse for it.

I would tell the media that I'm highly disappointed in my daughter and use it as a platform to talk about the inappropriate sexualisation of girls and women and that we can't keep turning a blind eye to this behaviour.
    Last edited by A-Squared; 19-03-2016 at 20:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So vulgar.

Who wants her daughter spanked