+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When DS (at kindy ) still doesn't listen and follow rules at school

DS just started kindy this year and a couple of weeks into the term and up until now, his school has raised a couple of concerns in regards to his behaviour inside the classroom, it's not like he's totally a bad boy, but his teacher has been trying to direct him in a correct way when it comes to school rules, etc but he's being a defiant instead!

His problems are:
    1) Making silly noises during class time (be it during story time, or any other time)
    2) Laying down on the floor when it's story time.

His teacher said she had been continously correcting, reminding and positively encouraging DS to not do these things anymore, but still to no avail.

I've been telling DS to not to do this kind of behaviour using so many persuasive ways and a little bit of threats as well.

But I don't think he gets it!!

I don't know whether the silly noises and the laying down behaviour come out unconciously out of DS? I know he realised what he's done.

One thing i know is that DS' behaviour is quite like that at home too, where he doesn't care about rules and hates being corrected if he knows he's done something wrong. Basically at home he has so much freedom that he does whatever he likes, like chatting in loud voice to himself, moving up and down anywhere (quite a full on boy), and things like that I let him do as long as he doesn't hurt himself or attempting anything dangerous. Little did I know that these behaviours got carried over inside the classroom.

He does get warnings at home too and lots of advices and I have been making efforts to get him to listen to me, but I'm just a bit skeptical whether eventually he's going to improve, as it seems like his school doesn't tolerate him anymore and I need to act quickly to fix my own child

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How old is he? If he is one of the youngest it could be a case of maturing a little.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is 5.5. Certainy not the youngest and could be one of the oldest. I have been realising his maturity level is quite low.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course he's doing that. He's a young boy full of energy to burn! He doesn't want to sit still in a class room all day! Can you blame him? What's wrong with lying on the floor during story time?
    These are the many reasons I've chosen homeschooling for my lot.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Homeschooling4 For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (19-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry I don't have advice.
    I do think the school is being a bit strict, not allowing lying down during story time.
    Do you think he could be tired and bored?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (19-03-2016),Homeschooling4  (19-03-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Some kids just need to move around a lot. Some kids get the wriggles. Many, many 5 year olds lie down at school!

In my teacher training we were taught to ignore those sort of behaviours, because when a student is lying down/wriggling/looking around, we shouldn't assume that they're not engaged and listening. Of course, sometimes this is true as well! But it is only then than it becomes a problem.

Lying down while listening to a story is actually not hurting anyone else, and I think it is virtually a non-issue in terms of behaviour.

It's certainly not something I'd go out of my way to mention to a parent for a child at that age unless I was concerned that they had low energy/low nutrition etc.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (19-03-2016),bunnymum  (19-03-2016),Homeschooling4  (19-03-2016),just her chameleon  (19-03-2016),Kimmmm  (23-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course this is what I thought as well, that 5 year olds usually have a lot of energy to burn and they are always active! I know that my child can be difficult to tell many times and I was worried that he might have caused bigger problems at school, esp the teachers there sometimes act like they're at wits end, but no, I've been asked to come and see the teacher more than a couple of times just to tell that my son often lied down on the floor in class, not engaging during story time, and recently liked to make funny/silly noises (this I know is not nice, as it's disrupting the teacher and the class).

I was told all of these were not acceptable.

I told the teacher he might have acted like that out of boredom and she said the class has interesting activities, it's not like they're keeping him to do maths or hard subjects (what the h*ll was she talking about?).

I can sense that I'd be pulled aside again next week and be updated of DS' behaviour.

DS goes to a local, public school though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeschooling4 View Post
    Of course he's doing that. He's a young boy full of energy to burn! He doesn't want to sit still in a class room all day! Can you blame him? What's wrong with lying on the floor during story time?
    These are the many reasons I've chosen homeschooling for my lot.
    At 5.5 children should be able to sit and listen to short stories or simple instructions for 10 minutes. In fact, it should be actively encouraged that children listen to quality literature.

My son just started school this year and he told me this morning that he loves sitting up the front because he can see the book better. They get read 3 books a day. It's not too much to expect a child to listen to a short children's story. I don't think the lying down is a big deal, but part of the beauty of good quality books is the pictures.

I would be gutted if my kids didn't like listening to books.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The thing is op, you have started other threads about concerns you have for your son's behaviour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As a teacher, I would expect your child to sit and listen to stories on the carpet. They wouldn't be on the carpet sitting for a long time and the teacher would programme her day for movement and still/quiet carpet times. Tbh, I'd say he's quite immature. Give him a few more months and he will be more settled if you are supporting the teachers efforts at school.