+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Disappointing yes. Catastrophe no.

I would use this as an opportunity for my son to learn how to manage disappoint in life. Things like this happen, it's a bummer but there are going to be far bigger disappoints ahead and being able to manage the big stuff starts with this kind of thing. Asking for more shirts to be printed is unreasonable and for most schools well out of budget.
    This ^

It's just one of those things and life is full of them unfortunately

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

babyla  (19-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    agree with this. either way it's a f.ck up and needs to be rectified. I'd be devastated if that happened to me at age 35, never mind at age12-13.

your poor son!

they need to fix it on principle.

Hope you get a satisfactory resolution to this bungle OP X

Exactly this. How devastating for your son.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (19-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You will get differing advice. Is it a training oppurtunity to reach your son to deal with dissapointment.

Is it something upon which to take a stand

Is a training Oppurtunity even about taking a stand

We all need to deal with dissapointment and be ablr to take a stand. Sometimes both together. You kow your son and the situation better than any of us. You need to way it all up, perhaps discuss it with him. Discuss the pros and cons wither way and come to decision either on your own or with him.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

babyla  (19-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    You will get differing advice. Is it a training oppurtunity to reach your son to deal with dissapointment.

Is it something upon which to take a stand

Is a training Oppurtunity even about taking a stand

We all need to deal with dissapointment and be ablr to take a stand. Sometimes both together. You kow your son and the situation better than any of us. You need to way it all up, perhaps discuss it with him. Discuss the pros and cons wither way and come to decision either on your own or with him.
    I actually think this is a great idea. Talk to your DS about it, if he feels strongly enough to fight for it then it's a great opportunity to let him assert himself and his voice - with you as his support but let him do the talking. In grade 6 this is a great way to develop student voice and choice. However, if he decides after weighing it up and putting it into perspective that he'd rather not fight it then that's the end of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    Two important things
    1) The son is upset
    2) the school has been approached

Our OP has made an effort, it seems the school has not.

There's no offer to make the situation good.

Media is an over reaction ????

Is this not but one step from the media coming here. This is social networking. Many news items come fromm places just like this.

How many times must the school be approached.

Yes the school had been approached. Next could be the education department
    Then the minister

That's all a lot of time and effort that should not have been required in the first place.

It seems to me the OP has tried already with the school
    I think media and the minister is an over reaction.

The school has been approached it just sounds like their solution isn't what the OP wanted.

The school is allowed to implement a solution that isn't in line with the ops wishes.

In the upside this is a teachable moment for ops DS. Kids feed off how the parents react.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it needs to be remembered that the kids wear these shirts all year- they're not just a token goodbye gift that gets worn for a week then stashed away in a cupboard forevermore. And yes it will eventually do that, but at this point in time it's a big deal; they are year 6's! They are the big kids, the oldest and most senior in the school. They have waited 7 years to have the privilege of wearing these shirts. They all check down the list and see where their names are, because they are a part of the exclusive year 6 of 2016 club.
    The whole year this boy will be looking at a shirt that has left him out. And as a PP mentioned, kids have a funny way of making everything about them- he will possibly think it's because he is not valued as much as other kids, that no one cares that his name is not there. Not that it was just a simple mistake.

I admit I know nothing of printing, but I don't see why OP's suggestion of simply adding her son's name to all of the shirts isn't feasible. And yes the school's reaction is very disappointing as well.
    OP can you get in contact with either the original company, or another company and ask about what's involved in adding your child's name?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (20-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think the school is being a bit unreasonable. I also agree the shirt is a big deal.

I guess it depends on what your child is feeling about it all? I think I'd be disappointed and a bit upset if it was my child and would hope the school would act a bit more appropriately.

Maybe an idea if the school won't budge and help out with reprinting how about a sausage sizzle or some fund raising to pay to get the shirts reprinted. I'm not sure it'd work or be feasible or even embarrassing for your DS but maybe an idea if the school don't end up helping...?

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    OP how many kids in that year level?

It may be simply that the school cannot afford to get all of the shirts reprinted if there are lot of kids. In my small school it would be no issue and would be probably what action we would take, but for a large group of children it could be extremely costly.

Having said that, they have been extremely insensitive in their handling of the situation, and saying that there will be no shirts in the future as a result is a ridiculous reaction.

Do you have a governing council? Perhaps you could ask them to bring it up at the next meeting - you may have parents that are willing to contribute some fundraising money to fixing the mistake, or may have some suggestions.

What would your son like to happen? Maybe he could write a letter to the school explaining how he feels and with some suggestions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel for your son j really do and if it was my child I think I'd be reacting the same but I also think at the end of the day, if the school offered to reprint his shirt and are taking action to prevent this from happening again then there isn't much more that can be done.. (As badly as they handled it with their comments) Accept their offer, talk to your son about how he feels, explain that human error happens unfortunatley and get him to make the most of it as previous posters suggested.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm very sorry your son was left off and the school's response lacks empathy. But I'm going to go against the grain and say this is your chance to teach resilience. They are going to fix his shirt (so they should) and I would be asking if a few of his closest friends could be reprinted also. But some of the responses are a little OTT IMO. I was in primary a very long time ago lol and I can still remember a bulk of my class mates. Just bc every child in the class doesn't have your child's name doesn't mean they are going to suddenly forget him, now or in 10 years time. particularly if he goes on to high school with them.

This is your chance to teach your child to be strong and roll with the punches a bit. Humans are fallible and your son is going to be let down and disappointed dozens more times in his life. I'm not saying you just tell him to suck it up. You have gone into bat for him and frankly the office ladies sound like rude jerks. I would be talking with him about the idea that the absence of his name on a shirt that will be packed away forever soon doesn't lower his value, or the strength of his friendships. That it's a crappy bump in the road and he has a right to be upset but to also remember it's a shirt.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babyla  (20-03-2016),ElizaDoLittle  (20-03-2016),Mokeybear  (20-03-2016)