+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can see why you would be upset.
    I do think reprinting a shirt for your son is the best answer and helps to fix the problem.
    In my experience kids sign these shirts at the end of the year and stuff. ..and in many years to come the shirt will be insignificant.
    This is a good moment to discuss how mistakes are made and how we can gracefully handle them.
    He will get another shirt.
    He will have his name on it.
    I think reprinting the shirt for the entire class is quite costly and probably won't be such a big deal in a few months.
    I know it seems like it will be. But from my experience kids do move on from this stuff.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Anndrosa  (19-03-2016),babyla  (19-03-2016),Best Things  (19-03-2016),BettyW  (19-03-2016),FearlessLeader  (19-03-2016),gingermillie  (19-03-2016),Jenga  (19-03-2016),Renn  (19-03-2016),sajimum  (19-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    How many shirts are they talking about? How many kids in the year group?

Not sure what the outcome should be as I know my eldest would be devastated. I also agree within a month of leaving school the shirt becomes forgotten but the impact while at school would be felt. Depending on the child it could be really negative.

To cancel it for years to come is a complete overreaction also.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (19-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    Next could be the education department
    Then the minister
    Why not just take it straight to the UN?
    I mean seriously...

I'm a teacher and I completely understand how big a deal shirts like this are for the kids. I agree with PP that the importance will fade pretty rapidly but right now those shirts would be a pretty big deal. I would be absolutely beating myself up if I was one of the people who checked the list, it would devastate me to have disappointed a student like that. It also sounds like the school wasn't nearly apologetic enough and could have proffered some more creative solutions, such as those PP suggested. They could even approach businesses that embroider names on hats/ shirts etc to see if they would be willing to do a discounted goodwill deal to add OP's sons name to the shirts.

That said - mistakes get made, students sometimes get upset at school, schools are often tight on money as it is and the frikken education department does not need to be called to address a shirt. As for Today Tonight - yep I'm sure they'd love to send a camera after some frazzled deputy principal asking why they made a mistake.

(OP none of this post is directed at you, I feel genuinely bad for your son.)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

babycake  (19-03-2016),BettyV  (19-03-2016),Tamtam  (19-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I thin focussing on one posters suggestion about going to the media is distracting. I seriously doubt the OP is going to do this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    Talking about the following year. You may need to read back a post or so to get the context
    I did read the entire thread. And that you were talking about the following year was not clear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I thin focussing on one posters suggestion about going to the media is distracting. I seriously doubt the OP is going to do this.
    I doubt it too as the OP seems very reasonable.

The media was suggested in a couple of posts (yes by the same poster). I also offered sympathy and another potential solution.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (19-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be very upset about that response from the school. Not on. I would be making a VERY BIG fuss!

At a minimum, they need to reprint your Son's shirt, and give him a few (as the other poster suggested) to hand out to his friends.

For those that say learning curve blah, blah, blah - he has to wear this shirt for the rest of the year. He has to see everyone else in his year with that shirt on. It IS a big deal. Personally, I'd want the entire class shirts reprinted. Yes, it's a a mistake and mistakes happen - but your Son has to look at that mistake for the next year. The office girls/Principal/Deputy don't give a stuff. They'll have forgotten about it tomorrow - your Son won't. Make a big deal.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Life is Good For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (19-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh it's unfortunate that's happened... Your poor soon. I feel for him... Of course it's just human error but I think perhaps replacing your son's shirt is a good solution.

As for removing the kids names, our school has done just that for the past few years after errors like you've mentioned. Their shirts now just say 'Seniors 2016' without names underneath... New kids come into the school (sometimes early in the year) and are also not included when those names are printed... It's hard hey.

I'd suggest that at the end of the year when signing shirts he writes his name underneath the list with 'saved the best for last' written next to it!!

Hopefully you get an outcome you both feel OK with.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

babyla  (19-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I did read the entire thread. And that you were talking about the following year was not clear.
    Yeah I need to watch that

Not the first time my posts have been hard to follow

Thanks
    Reviews
    Disappointing yes. Catastrophe no.

I would use this as an opportunity for my son to learn how to manage disappoint in life. Things like this happen, it's a bummer but there are going to be far bigger disappoints ahead and being able to manage the big stuff starts with this kind of thing. Asking for more shirts to be printed is unreasonable and for most schools well out of budget.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Best Things  (19-03-2016),Mokeybear  (19-03-2016)