+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 17 yr old moving from UK

Hi, we are moving to Dubbo from the UK later this year.

My eldest DS is 17 (born 11/98) and will finish first year of college here in July before we leave.

He opted for a music BTEC course rather than the more academic 'A' levels (which they take at 18), and has regretted it a bit, so wouldn't mind starting over if necessary, he got good mark in his GCSEs which they take at 16 here. I am struggling to understand how the years/exams compare, so I have lots of questions, sorry-

What year would he be in here, and how does the end of school transition to Uni work?
    Are there standard exams he needs to get in?
    Would he be able to redo a year to get a qualification that could take him to Uni to do a degree?
    He was planning to do a music degree here, the music course he has been doing would have led straight in to that here (assuming he got good grades!), I think there is a music college in Dubbo, does anyone know of it?

Thanks so much if you can help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    I moved to Sydney with my family from Scotland just after I was 17. Similarly I had decided not to go to do 5th & 6th year at high school and had had 6 months working crapy jobs (much to my parents dismay!).
    When we moved to Sydney I quickly realised that the only way I was going to make friends was to go back to school.
    Because the school year starts in January, I joined year 11 in term 2 which was after Easter.
    Year 11 and year 12 both focus on the HSC, and run for 7 terms before final exams in the 8th term. It's not possible to do 12 without 11 so I think that's where your son would start.
    That was 16 years ago though so someone else may be able to offer more info on school.
    Good Luck to you, and your family in then huge move!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Pink, that sounds ideal if he could do that still, especially as it would be ideal for making friends.

I'm being nosey so feel free to ignore me, but do you still feel like Scotland is home? I wondered if he would settle as well as he is older

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be frank, it was a really tough 12-18 months and I was frequently home sick, and if I am being honest, I had a pretty ****ty attitude which my parents bore the brunt of. I also think my attitude made it harder for my mum to settle at times.
    (Hopefully your ds is a nicer 17yo than I was!)

In saying all that, I made friends quite easily and that group of girls are easily my best friends to date. I kept in touch with friends in Glasgow for a number of years (still do to the extent you do fb) and went back to visit on my own when I was in my early 20s. Things and people change and 3-5 years is a really long time at that age. For me now Sydney is home, my dh is English and when we visit the uk, Scotland is purely family for me not about old school friends.

Now I consider my self super lucky because I live here and I have my parents & bother here too, I have so many expat friends and its tough for them not having a family network now they are have kids of their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Does your child want to move? That is a really rough age for moving (separating from friends etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Is he moving to the UK or to Australia?
    My dd moved to the other end of Australia (at least 4 days drive or 4 hour flight) to go to university. She loved it. She will never move back.

Most the kids at her uni had moved away from home. 17 and 18 it's very common to move towns to go to university. Lots of kids move countries too. All my dd's friends where from overseas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    Is he moving to the UK or to Australia?
    My dd moved to the other end of Australia (at least 4 days drive or 4 hour flight) to go to university. She loved it. She will never move back.

Most the kids at her uni had moved away from home. 17 and 18 it's very common to move towns to go to university. Lots of kids move countries too. All my dd's friends where from overseas.
    The op and her family are moving to Dubbo and her ds will be doing the HSC.

Agree going away to uni is an amazing exciting experience, I think a big part of that is knowing that home is still home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkTutu View Post
    Agree going away to uni is an amazing exciting experience, I think a big part of that is knowing that home is still home.
    Yes and not having your parents around is part of the excitement too.
    But only after you've finished highschool - too make a big move/move away from your parents before finishing highschool can do more harm than good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Vic we are all moving from the UK to Dubbo, yes DS is excited to be moving- a bit worried about leaving friends behind, but he is at a different college than his close friends anyway, so had already started to move on from school friends. He will be in Dubbo living with us, and as Pink said, I am hoping he can redo this year so he does yr 11 and 12 (I think?)in Australia.

Pink, that's good to hear that it's home for you now! We moved a few hours away when I was 14 and I can barely remember where we used to live, so I was hoping he would still be young enough to make it his home in Australia.

I am pretty confused about school actually- we start the school year in August and from when they start (at age 4) to when they are the age to go to Uni is 14 school years, reception- yr6 is junior school, yr7-yr11 is secondary school and they do exams (GCSEs) at yr11, yr12-13 is college and they do exams (A levels or BTECs) at yr13.

Can anyone tell the year and exam equivalents in Australia? Are there separate colleges for the last two years before Uni or is it school right the way through? Is there one standard set of exams or a variety?

thanks all

Thanks
    Reviews
    School here goes Kindy - Y6 and then Y7-12.

When I did it worked as follows, but I think there are some changes in recent years.

Y10 - higher school certificate which is the equivalent of a GCSE and kids could leave after this at about 16.

Year 11/12 is the higher school certificate, results of these exams are ranked for university.

Generally these years are all done at school. Though I actually went to a "college" for Y12/12 which was fed from the 3 local high schools, we still wore a uniform and it was very much a school environment. I am not sure you'll get this in Dubbo.

The school system is quite different here and it's extremely common to send kids to "private" schools, price wise the cost is nothing like the uk and often they are associated with the Catholic or Other churches.

I think Y11/12 can also be done at TAFE which is a college environment -or perhaps your son can do some other type of diploma studies at tafe which will contribute towards a Uni entry mark. I am sure there are plenty of others who could provide you some info on that type of education.