+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NAT2561 View Post
    One thing to consider with the reply you quoted....after looking into this, waiting like suggested can render it a possible waste of time due to the time needed to gain immunity after the shot. The little ones also needed to have two shots, one month apart, as their first year of having it. I did end up going ahead with the flu vaccine and my girls are having their second shot this week. Just in time to build immunity.
    So would it be too late for this year now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think it's too late but it would be later in the season. So it might be worth asking gp how long it takes to have immunity.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

Its Me  (15-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would think it isn't too late. Some places have only just got the vaccine in.
    My DD has had the flu vaccine since she could. .. under 12 months 2 separate injections but after that they are usually fine to get it. We only had ours done 2 weeks ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My daughter had it last year when she was 6 months and again this year at 18 months. No side effects at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NAT2561 View Post
    I don't think it's too late but it would be later in the season. So it might be worth asking gp how long it takes to have immunity.
    Its usually about 2 weeks before immunity

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sairz For This Useful Post:

NAT2561  (16-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had dd vaccinated once and she got really sick that night, very high fever etc. Which landed her in urgent care. So have never gotten the kids vax'd since. I have to have it for work though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS2 (3.5) had his yesterday - later than we wanted but he has had a cold. Anyway no side effects, no temp - business as usual!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm...it is such a personal decision hey.
    My boy doesn't go to daycare or anything but he is exposed to his cousins every week who do go to daycare but don't get the fluvax...we also have a new baby in the house. Ahhh i just don't know what to do. I have never been interested in them myself and have never even given it a thought for my kids to have it. But my DP is pretty keen for DS to get it this year.
    Am having a real mental Dilemma! 😕 I might have to try and just do the ignore until forgotten thing. Haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I got DS1 (2.5 yo) and DS 2 (9 mo) vaxxed about 2 weeks ago with the quadrivalent versiom for babies. There are different versions for babies, kids and adults, each targeted at a particular age range.
    DS1 got horribly sick from the flu as a baby and I think had some recurring health issues as a result, so now I get him vaxxed annually.

Both boys were fine - no ill effects.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Its Me View Post
    Hmmm...it is such a personal decision hey.
    My boy doesn't go to daycare or anything but he is exposed to his cousins every week who do go to daycare but don't get the fluvax...we also have a new baby in the house. Ahhh i just don't know what to do. I have never been interested in them myself and have never even given it a thought for my kids to have it. But my DP is pretty keen for DS to get it this year.
    Am having a real mental Dilemma! 😕 I might have to try and just do the ignore until forgotten thing. Haha
    Yes it is. In my case i hadn't had them flu vaccinated prior but was swayed to this year because my girls were soooo sick with chest problems last winter. They ended up in hospital with pneumonia where we all then caught influenza B from other patients. So the flu wasn't our first issue last winter but it did put them in danger when they contracted it while already sick. With a susceptibility to chest problems i think we'll keep doing it. And they haven't had any ill effects from their first shot.