+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wasn't allowed to, my gp and the clinic I go to don't give the flu vaccine to children under 7. There were a number of young children that had very serious reactions to the flu vaccine a few years ago and I'm pretty sure they changed the recommendations about giving the flu vaccine to small children. I could be wrong about that though.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

NAT2561  (18-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    I wasn't allowed to, my gp and the clinic I go to don't give the flu vaccine to children under 7. There were a number of young children that had very serious reactions to the flu vaccine a few years ago and I'm pretty sure they changed the recommendations about giving the flu vaccine to small children. I could be wrong about that though.
    There is one type of the flu vax that is not recommended for children under 5 (bioCSL Fluvax). However there are a number of vaccines which are safe from 6 months. DS2 had Vaxigrip last year with no ill effects.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (18-03-2016),Gentoo  (16-05-2016),NAT2561  (18-03-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (18-03-2016),sajimum  (18-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    All of my 3 children (aged 7, 5, 3) are up to date as per vaccination schedule but they've never had the separate flu vax apart from ones that are in the schedule.

I've never had the flu vax either.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

NAT2561  (18-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids have never had side effects I don't think. DH and I also get it each year and haven't had issues.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

NAT2561  (18-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NAT2561 View Post
    Thanks everyone! Has anyone found that their little ones have had effects from it? I'm having my girls done a week apart if i go ahead (since they are identical twins i will have some idea after the first if there might be a reaction rather than have both reacting!) Any little ones had flu like symptoms?
    None here. I was skeptical after the batch that put kids in hospital the year before, but was assured they had fixed the issues and we didn't have any problems at all.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

NAT2561  (18-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flu vaccine for toddler

Have you got a good GP?

The Heath department experts choose what influenza strains to include in the vaccine each year based on what is happening in the northern hemisphere flu season. So, they are basically trying to predict the future of spread and severity of those strains in the future. Sometimes they get it right and sometimes the "bad" strains for the Australian flu season don't match what's in the vaccine. Hospitals and labs report number if cases of confirmed flu and the strain, and doctors receive regular updates. My GP let's me know if/when it becomes apparent that flu vaccine is worthwhile each season. She's a gem, and I certainly don't take her proactive approach to looking after our family for granted Hopefully your GP can give you some advice based on what the doctors and hospitals in your area are seeing at the time.
    Last edited by clbj; 18-03-2016 at 17:00.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to clbj For This Useful Post:

NAT2561  (18-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great thoughts clbj

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post
    Have you got a good GP?

The Heath department experts choose what influenza strains to include in the vaccine each year based on what is happening in the northern hemisphere flu season. So, they are basically trying to predict the future of spread and severity of those strains in the future. Sometimes they get it right and sometimes the "bad" strains for the Australian flu season don't match what's in the vaccine. Hospitals and labs report number if cases of confirmed flu and the strain, and doctors receive regular updates. My GP let's me know if/when it becomes apparent that flu vaccine is worthwhile each season. She's a gem, and I certainly don't take her proactive approach to looking after our family for granted Hopefully your GP can give you some advice based on what the doctors and hospitals in your area are seeing at the time.
    Hi clbj, has your GP advised RE this years fluvax?

My DP wants to get our 23 month old DS to have his first fluvax but i am hesitant. As I have never had it myself I am hesitant to give it to him but do not have the right defence of why. Would love reasoning as to why or why not!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    One thing to consider with the reply you quoted....after looking into this, waiting like suggested can render it a possible waste of time due to the time needed to gain immunity after the shot. The little ones also needed to have two shots, one month apart, as their first year of having it. I did end up going ahead with the flu vaccine and my girls are having their second shot this week. Just in time to build immunity.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

Its Me  (15-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes they will