+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Iud

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Iud

So I'm 6.5 weeks pp and have my ob checkup next week. Im considering getting an iud however I've hated every other form of hormonal birth control (3 different pills, depo shot and the Nuva ring) and get keloid scaring so the implant isn't an option. I've read the mirena has the lowest dose of hormones available but I'm still worried about the possibility of side effects, specifically weight gain and loss of sex drive.

Ideally the the copper non hormonal iud sounds great except the heavier and more painful periods. I'm exclusively bf and didn't have af return for 7 months after ds but would this make af return sooner due to being in the womb? Also I stopped bleeding at 5.5 weeks pp but started up again a week later and it seems like af - I hope it's not as it's not to bad. I guess I'll just wait and see in a few weeks on that one.

If if anyone has been on both can you rate your expirences? At this stage I'm leaning towards the mirena as heavy and painful af doesn't sound fun, but it's also available on the pbs so cheaper and I won't mind so much if I have it taken out of it's not working - where as from what I've read the copper iud will cost aprox $150.

Condoms of course are always the option but we've played Russian roulette in the past and it's not something I want to risk right now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have a Mirena IUD (not copper) and have loved it. I've had it in 2.5 years and have had no side effects. I'm as horny as ever (being in a great relationship helps, naturally), have not put any weight on (actually lost weight in the last 7 months, probably due in part to the stress of seeing my 4yo DD go through chemo). Based on my experience I can highly recommend it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the copper iud for 4 months before i got rid of it.
    Initially, it was great. My first cycle I had cramping for a week before AF but then no cramping during (unlike me but not a big deal.)
    2nd AF was super heavy, ok I can still deal with this.
    (Previously I had super light periods.)
    Then for the next 6 weeks I spotted practically all the time. Never a lot, but I felt like i was having some weird 21 day cycle where I'd only have a week of no spotting. Enough was enough and I got rid of it. No issues since.
    I did do some research that suggests it's not as "non hormonal" as we think as it apparently antagonises hormones? Progesterone maybe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess there's much less reviews of the copper iud but as a whole from what I've researched also more negative reviews. I'm so wary of hormones though but don't know what our other options could be. We're not ready to commit to the snip just yet and I don't trust ourselves with condoms, pull out, temping etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My mum always used it after my sister and I. Never had a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Had the copper iud in and liked it. Took a while to get used but after about 5 cycles were normal a bit heavier but nothing too bad. The copper is a spermicide, I would get it again

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got the mirena about 3 months ago and apart from some mood doings during the first week and spotting for about 2 weeks I've had no problems since. I'm still bf so not sure if lack of period is due to that or mirena but so far I'm happy and not noticed any side effects.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loved the mirena except unfortunately I got migraine headaches every time I had AF so after a year I had to have it removed. I'm super sensitive to hormonal BC so I wasn't surprised but I was very disappointed because it was so easy. I had no weight gain and no loss of libido

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I hate mine. No sex drive EVER & constant spotting even after 3 years. I'm getting mine taken out soon as DH is getting a vasectomy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a copper IUD and I love it. The first couple of periods after getting it inserted were awful - super heavy and clotty - but I'm back to normal now, (5 months in).
    I was on the pill for 10 years before deciding to try for our son and had fertility issues as a result of this. I did try the mini pill but didn't like side effects, (zero sex drive, acne).
    I also believe that messing around with hormones is probably less than ideal - especially if you have other options.