+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Poor NAPLAN results for local school...

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I agree which is one of the many reasons we moved our kids from this school. Classroom sizes were huge and while the teachers individually were great they lacked support. If a child was basically "ok" the focus was on kids who had more needs. Kids slipped under the radar. Naplan picked this up. As a result things changed at the school but as a state school it still has class sizes that were large and was under resourced.

These are the sorts of things that would be a flag for me. I have a love hate relationship with naplan as I think it's misused.
    Well I can only speak for nsw but teachers in nsw public schools are required to submit PLAN data every 5 weeks in all areas of maths and English that is sent to the department and the state government. If a child isn't progressing then questions are asked and the child is referred to the learning support team.

Class sizes in nsw public schools are capped K-2.

This is about the third time I've said this on here in the last month. The problem is not with NAPLAN itself. The problem is with parents thinking that good NAPLAN results make a good school. NAPLAN results should be used by parents and teachers only to get an idea of where children are at, not published in league tables and on myschool website.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 20-03-2016 at 11:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well I can only speak for nsw but teachers in nsw public schools are required to submit PLAN data every 5 weeks in all areas of maths and English that is sent to the department and the state government. If a child isn't progressing then questions are asked and the child is referred to the learning support team.

Class sizes in nsw public schools are capped K-2.

This is about the third time I've said this on here in the last month. The problem is not with NAPLAN itself. The problem is with parents thinking that good NAPLAN results make a good school. NAPLAN results should be used by parents and teachers only to get an idea of where children are at, not published in league tables and on myschool website.
    I'm not disagreeing with you. I have no idea why these things weren't picked up. I've heard all sorts of problems over the years with public and private schools.

I don't think anyone on here teacher or otherwise can say every learning issue with every child can and will be picked up at school. Maybe they should be but they aren't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you. I have no idea why these things weren't picked up. I've heard all sorts of problems over the years with public and private schools.

I don't think anyone on here teacher or otherwise can say every learning issue with every child can and will be picked up at school. Maybe they should be but they aren't.
    Sorry, the last paragraph was just my separate thoughts, not directed at you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Sorry, the last paragraph was just my separate thoughts, not directed at you.
    No all good. I wish you taught at my kids schools. I wish the teachers at our last school were as passionate about education as so many are on here. I could definitely live without spending close to $30k a year on school fees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    But good teaching and leaning in a classroom does this, that's what s teacher does. I think dyslexia being picked up on NAPLAN is a big concern. That it took a child to get to grade 3 to have it picked up on a test, it would make me wonder how this had not been flagged in the 4 years in the classroom previously. FWIW I'm not anti NAPLAN, I just don't care about it as data for individual children. There are much richer ways to assess children for learning need which should be happening daily, weekly as part of being at school. As system and as partly school data NAPLAN is useful.
    I don't actually get how Naplan specifically would pick up dyslexia over their typical classwork. Unless their Naplan writing was looked at by someone other than the class teacher who was experienced in identifying it. Even then you can't 'diagnose' dyslexia from one piece of writing.

By definition dyslexia cannot really be diagnosed until grade 2 or 3 either. It is difficulty with spelling and reading. Almost every prep and grade 1 reads with some difficulty and struggles to spell many high frequency words correctly. It is not until a child has had several years of instruction and they are still finding reading and spelling particularly difficult (despite being bright and at/abive level overall ) that you can consider dyslexia.

Sorry, off topic but I'm focusing my PD on dyslexia and it has forced me to challenge a lot of my existing understandings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I don't actually get how Naplan specifically would pick up dyslexia over their typical classwork. Unless their Naplan writing was looked at by someone other than the class teacher who was experienced in identifying it. Even then you can't 'diagnose' dyslexia from one piece of writing.

By definition dyslexia cannot really be diagnosed until grade 2 or 3 either. It is difficulty with spelling and reading. Almost every prep and grade 1 reads with some difficulty and struggles to spell many high frequency words correctly. It is not until a child has had several years of instruction and they are still finding reading and spelling particularly difficult (despite being bright and at/abive level overall ) that you can consider dyslexia.

Sorry, off topic but I'm focusing my PD on dyslexia and it has forced me to challenge a lot of my existing understandings.
    It was my comment about naplan and dyslexia. I don't think that naplan diagnosed it. Both girls "failed" the comprehension part of the test (their other areas were in the top boxes) but comprehension was the lowest box. Both sets of parents and the teachers were shocked and this led to further investigations privately. Months of testing and both had dyslexia (or a form of it as I understand it has strands). Both these girls were bright and otherwise strong performers who had only just started to struggle.

Who knows it may have been picked up anyway but both parents credit the naplan test as its what led to the inquiry and further testing.

I may be wrong on some details as they aren't my kids and it's not something l felt I could really drill the parents about.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (21-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

I was thinking the other day how if my children were disadvantaged I would probably want to send them to a place like big reds school - top teachers and a motivated school hierarchy can do an awesome job a a better job than mediocre teachers who are unmotivated. I started to wonder though how a child who wasn't disadvantaged may suffer by being alongside disadvantaged kids where the educational focus may be more on lifestyle things as opposed to academic. I probably wouldn't send my child to a disadvantaged school as I would be worried about the impact on their academics.

Then this article came out. I sware it came out after I had already given birth to my own opinion

http://www.smh.com.au/national/educa...21-gnn0t2.html
    Last edited by VicPark; 24-03-2016 at 06:10.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (24-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I was thinking the other day how if my children were disadvantaged I would probably want to send them to a place like big reds school - top teachers and a motivated school hierarchy can do an awesome job a a better job than mediocre teachers who are unmotivated. I started to wonder though how a child who wasn't disadvantaged may suffer by being alongside disadvantaged kids where the educational focus may be more on lifestyle things as opposed to academic. I probably wouldn't send my child to a disadvantaged school as I would be worried about the impact on their academics.

Then this article came out. I sware it came out after I had already given birth to my own opinion

http://www.smh.com.au/national/educa...21-gnn0t2.html
    To be honest, I don't find this article shocking or surprising.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with the teachers. Parents need to be held responsible as well.

Disadvantaged children, no matter how smart, just don't have the same opportunities as their wealthy counterparts. Their home life is completely different to a child of similar intelligence in an affluent area. This is not taken into account. Poor people can't afford tutors and extra curricular activities that make a well rounded student. Also, the parents value education very differently and I think this is often overlooked and yet again, teachers in "bad" schools look incompetent because of articles like this.

What this article tells us is that we need Malcolm Turnbull to commit to the full 6 years of gonski funding to help children like these.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (24-03-2016),Sonja  (24-03-2016),VicPark  (24-03-2016)