+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Tbh I didn't really care about NAPLAN results or planned to "choose" a primary school- the local one is a 5 minute walk down the street so it just made sense to send the kids there. If there were problems I would consider looking elsewhere but I didn't assume there would be issues.

It was just I thought i'd look out of curiosity and it surprising to me how poor the results were. Especially as it had a good reputation when I was growing up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Poor NAPLAN results for local school...

I'm glad you started this thread. I'm choosing DD's school for next year and out of curiosity I looked at the myschools website. We live on a farm and the nearest school is a cute little rural school with fewer than 30 students total (as in, that's ALL the students, prep to yr 6). Then there's the local country town which obviously has more choices of larger schools. I have asked locals and have only heard good things about the little country school, but according to the myschools website they performed lower than the average on some things. I'm not worried and will continue my research before I make a final decision. Based on what I've heard so far I'm erring towards the little school. Plus there's a school bus that passes the end of our road which would be handy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (17-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's just a test. It's supposed to be a diagnostic tool for the teachers and the school...so that they can see where he kids sit and how best to support them. The results at published because parents THINK it's an indicator of a good school. It's not.

Since the hype about NAPLAN started, plenty of schools go to a lot of effort to prep students to improve their scores, which completely defeats the purpose of the test.

Please, please don't make a judgement about the school on th basis of those results.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (17-03-2016),Sonja  (17-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Naplan results have zero bearing over what I look for at a school. My DD is in grade 2 at a school that does averagely, we're in a low socioeconomic area so most schools here at the same anyway. I look at the culture of the school, how she is doing academically, her emotional wellbeing at the school etc.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (17-03-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Nope.

I'll give you an example.

The NAPLAN results reflect the score of one group of children in a particular year level in one year.

I had a group of five year threes. One had an IQ in the second percentile and one had cerebral palsy and an intellectual disability. They both bombed out, but their parents wanted them to take the test regardless. Therefore 40% of our year 3 students didn't pass, which is the data that was presented on the My Schools website, which also significantly lowered our results against the state average.

So not only is NAPLAN one diagnostic test on one day, the 'data' from the results don't truly tell the story of the class and the context of the children.

I would visit the school and ask questions like how they support struggling students, how they promote student wellbeing and leadership and weigh that up against other diagnostic information like this.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (18-03-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (17-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It's a flag of something to look into further but it's not the end of the story. You'll probably get a better picture by talking to other parents in the area.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (18-03-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (18-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    It's a flag of something to look into further but it's not the end of the story. You'll probably get a better picture by talking to other parents in the area.
    This is the part I struggle with. I don't know our area or hardly any parents with kids at school. Well at high school that's my concern. I hate naplan but I find myself looking at results as its easy. I can't exactly ask the school for contact details to canvas opinions! If my kids were going to school in Ireland I'd just ask around but here I don't know enough people.
    Anyone know if the good education website is a better gauge? Fwiw my daughters school did no formal prep for naplan which I was so relieved about. The school comes out well and she did well but I wouldn't have known that in advance. Hsc results should be good for high school but even these don't really tell you much about the teachers and culture of the school. It's so hard...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    This is the part I struggle with. I don't know our area or hardly any parents with kids at school. Well at high school that's my concern. I hate naplan but I find myself looking at results as its easy. I can't exactly ask the school for contact details to canvas opinions! If my kids were going to school in Ireland I'd just ask around but here I don't know enough people.
    Anyone know if the good education website is a better gauge? Fwiw my daughters school did no formal prep for naplan which I was so relieved about. The school comes out well and she did well but I wouldn't have known that in advance. Hsc results should be good for high school but even these don't really tell you much about the teachers and culture of the school. It's so hard...
    I've been helping my SIL look at schools for her kids next year and she just bought a house in an area that we don't know much about the schools so we literally "stalked" the mums at pick up times! We took the kids and just hung around the front gate at pick up time and just started talking to a few of the parents waiting for their kids! They were all willing to talk to us and most were happy but it really was the best way to hear how the school treats its kids and what the teachers are like , we asked about class sizes, bullying, extra curricular activities and the teachers

Plus one of the catholic schools had an open day and the kids show you around the school which I loved as they wont lie to you when you ask questions, of course the teachers are going to say nice things about the school but the kids tell you everything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post

Plus one of the catholic schools had an open day and the kids show you around the school which I loved as they wont lie to you when you ask questions, of course the teachers are going to say nice things about the school but the kids tell you everything!
    I was chatting to someone recently about high schools and she went on a tour to one school i was thinking about putting dd's name down.
    They went on the tour of the school and the grade 12 girls told them in a round about way to send their kid to another school which she ended up doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I wouldn't rely on asking students.

I think when asking parents it's what majority say.

With anything, you hear one negative thing and it's hard to get past that.

No school is perfect.