+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default School choice question

So another mum and I were talking about choosing schools (primary and secondary). And here is the dilemma we both face:

1- Send child to 'A' primary school which is 'good' (some negative talk about it from parents, still great NAPLAN results etc) and leads into a brilliant secondary college. You have to go to 'A' or like schools to get in.

2- Send child to 'B' primary school which is meant to be fantastic, everyone is the area raves on about it, but only leads into the average secondary colleges in the area.

She seems to think Primary is more important and that it doesn't matter about secondary so much. But I'm not so sure.

Thoughts please.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    From what you have said, I would choose the second school. A school (and even life) can change a lot in 7 years, so I would be choosing the most suitable option for the here and now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    From what you have said, I would choose the second school. A school (and even life) can change a lot in 7 years, so I would be choosing the most suitable option for the here and now.
    I agree as I've seen secondary schools make enormous changes over 7 years. However the brilliant second secondary school will most likely remain that way or improve. It has fantastic facilities and programs and the type of school you could never imagine going downhill. Does that make sense? I guess it's hard to explain unless you know the area :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    High schools are very important IMO. So I would definitely have that in mind when choosing a primary school. But of course there are other things to consider when choosing a school, so it wouldn't be the only thing to make a decision on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    High schools are very important IMO. So I would definitely have that in mind when choosing a primary school. But of course there are other things to consider when choosing a school, so it wouldn't be the only thing to make a decision on.

It's a tough decision most parents in my area are facing. I wish school B could lead into the other fantastic secondary school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What does the child want?

Personally I would go with B.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I always aim for high school and go to the feeder primary school to guarantee entry for high school. We just moved to be zoned for our high school of choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We also chose the high school first and then chose the primary school according to that. Here you have to live within the zone for your local high school but it actually makes no difference what primary school they go to - as long as your in the zone, you're in the HS. There are no such things as feeder schools except in the sense that the primary schools in the area will fall within the zone for the HS. But if a family move out of zone during primary then they won't get into the HS just because the child went to a particular primary school. If that makes sense. I thought it worked like that everywhere but I guess that's a WA thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think primary and secondary are equally as important, however, I would not move into the catchment of a high school before or just after my child started primary school.

So much can change with a school in a short period of time.

In NSW, unless it's a high school that is in serious demand then usually they will take anyone. My children could go to one of 5 local public high schools with no trouble getting into any of them.

The one that had a good reputation has supposedly gone down hill and the one that's had a bad rep for years has improved. My friend's husband just got a transfer to the high school that had a bad reputation and says it is a great school and would not hesitate sending his kids there if they were to start there tomorrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree it depends on demand for particular high school. In my area, i couldn't risk it, it is soooo hard to get in when out of area. Everyone tries, a few are successful.