+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default WWYD - overtired bub but too late for 3rd nap?

Hi Brains Trust.

So my 8.5mth DD needs to drop her third nap. She was taking it too late etc and it seemed logical to do so. We had two cruisey days and good nights where it worked well. Mid morning nap and one about 2/3.. Sleep was also good too.

Then last night she woke up wanting to be awake at 5am.. ( normal wake time is 6.30/7 ) and it threw the whole of today out. She took both two naps early and was never gunna last the 6hrs till the earliest possible bedtime.

I literally had to put her down for a cat nap or she wouldn't have eaten dinner. She woke up after ten mins and was exhausted and cranky. Cue lots of screaming for an hour and me about to go mad.

DH took her in the Ergo and she fell asleep and ended up in bed early. No dinner, no bath. I feel bad. Crappy end to the day and poor girls not had dinner 😥

So my question is. If your baby ends up taking their naps early ( literally couldn't be pushed out due to poor nights sleep ) but are too tired to make it through the rest of the day do you push on regardless or try for a cat nap?

We had such a lovely day together and it's ended badly and I feel awful as I got so angry. She was beyond tired but just wouldn't sleep.. Even with me lying down with her. She got into such a state. I hate feeling like a ****ty mum. 😞

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It will happen more and more each time as you adjust her schedule. Some days you will win, some you lose, you just have to push through till they adjust. My 2yo is too hard to get down if she has a day nap. So I push her through which means after 4 she is vile and beats up her big sister. But eventually she will adjust

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is same age. She dropped third nap completely 6 weeks ago but for the 2 months prior she was doing 2 naps only at least half the time depending on each day.
    How long are her other naps during the day and what is her awake time throughout the day?
    We've had a lot of sleep issues and sometimes early waking but rarely so I'm not sure how helpful I'll be on that. When that has happened I do push out the day but my DD is at a point now where she is ok to go a long time between naps if need be and I just give lots of cuddles to get her through if she's grizzly.
    My DDs routine is 2.5hrs wake time then 3hrs then 3-4hrs before bed. It's all moveable depending how she is on the day and how well she sleeps the night before and naps so each awake time might shift 15-30 minutes either way depending on the day.
    If my DD woke at 5am then I'd try get her to 9am for first nap (hopefully 1.5hrs!) then next nap 1:30/2 for 1.5hrs minimum and bedtime of 7pm. Spanner in the works if those naps end up being short though in which case i would go for a 3rd nap but not let her sleep past 4/4:30.
    I did find if DD didn't have enough awake time between naps then she would only catnap which meant she was tired enough for a third catnap then fighting bedtime so stretching out her awake times has worked great as she naps longer and easier and doesn't fight bedtime.
    DD currently goes to bed between 7-8pm and gets up for the day 7-8pm.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer  (24-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Eh, you can't win them all.

My 9 month old has 2 or 3 naps, depending on the day. Some days he has a third nap and then won't go to bed...some days he goes to bed early (with or without dinner), some days he's just exhausted by bed time. You do what you can, chalk it up to experience, and try again next time.

There IS no perfect with kids. Try not to be so hard on yourself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies. I think if it happens again I just try and push through. Trying for the third nap was literally awful. I felt like screaming. She got into such a state. I should have just quit but as she fell asleep for ten mins I thought I could get her back down. I don't really know where I'm going with this. I guess I just feel awful. These days aren't often but when they happen I feel like such a failure 😥😥😥😥

Thanks
    Reviews
    I still get overtired and cry some days. It's not my mums fault 😄.

If it helps, after two kids and many bed time battles if mine fall asleep before bath and dinner I put them in bed and do a happy dance. It's like winning lotto here.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me  (16-03-2016),Gentoo  (17-03-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (16-03-2016),Renn  (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I bring bedtime forward. So instead of bedtime at 7 with the cat nap. I do bedtime at 6pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wise enough View Post
    i still get overtired and cry some days. It's not my mums fault 😄.

If it helps, after two kids and many bed time battles if mine fall asleep before bath and dinner i put them in bed and do a happy dance. It's like winning lotto here.
    lol - thankyou 😘

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    I bring bedtime forward. So instead of bedtime at 7 with the cat nap. I do bedtime at 6pm.
    Thanks - that's my plan next time. Just push through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's not pretty. It's exhausting