+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh yay! Well done mummas!!! Keep at it. You might find that your little ones accept the scheduled feeds for a bit and then try to test your boundaries. Stay firm. I believe very strongly in the benefits of breastfeeding but I also feel that it's ok for us mummies to insist that our needs are being met. And I NEED my body to myself sometimes! Xxx

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-03-2016),BettyV  (21-03-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (20-03-2016),Tiny Dancer  (23-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @BettyV, I had my appointment with the sleep consultant on Monday. She was fantastic. I felt really reassured in the things that I've been doing, and also that I am not under any pressure to do things that don't suit me or before DS and I are both ready to make those changes.

She asked a lot of questions in relation to DS's personality and our parenting philosophy, ans tailors a plan to that.
    Plan of attack to:
    a) reduce day sleeps to one slowly
    b) get him to go to sleep in the cot without any parental intervention (again in a gentle manner)
    c) reduce and cease demand breastfeeds over night
    working on those things should all help to reduce night waking and early waking, and also stop the long night waking and let him go back to sleep himself.

She also said that self care is important (I am really bad at this and only take me time when I'm near breaking point), I'm to have half an hour a day to do nothing except something enjoyable/rewarding for myself, and a 2 hour block once a fortnight.

She is sending through a plan today, and I can contact her for the next 3 months for support and confirmation/tweaking of what I am doing.

Feeling cautiously optimistic.

If you'd like to hear more, happy to discuss via PM 😊

If you'd like

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (23-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default WWYD: BF past 16 months

Was just thinking about this thread and wondering how you're getting on @Tiny Dancer? Have you had any luck with cutting night feeds?

We had a bit of a setback on the weaning front when gastro hit the house and I decided I didn't have the energy to say no to dd's constant desire to feed. We're back on track now with cutting day feeds back to before nap and bedtime only. Haven't tackled the overnight feeding yet though. 😊
    Last edited by BettyV; 08-04-2016 at 19:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're down to feeds before naps and bedtime and one feed over night.

We no longer feed to sleep at all. At night he'll fall asleep in the cot without me touching him. Through the day I still have to rock him to sleep. He's not keen on going to sleep without a lot of support from me through the day! This means I am still lying next to the cot while he falls asleep, but that's ok. He usually wakes 3 times, but he only needs a feed once. He only gets the boob after 3 am. I've been slowly increasing the time because he wouldn't always settle with just cuddles and water.

I'm so glad you're finding solutions that work for you, too! Are you enjoying your freedom, and knowing when and how often you'll be feeding?

I'm current trying to get him to go to sleep in his cot for a nap. Not going well. And I've been trying for 45 min, and DH just came in and blooming wrecked it. Announced it's time to get up. Thanks very much. He has another 5 minutes for me to try before I get him up. You don't think I'm capable of doing it myself?

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you Tiny Dancer I've managed to get him to one feed at night the past 2 days, it is so mentally exhausting (and painful). Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're welcome 😊. I'm really quite over feeding myself. We had 2 feeds last night - but he'd refused food pretty much all day (he's got 3 molars cutting, plus he'd split his lip the day before when he landed face first on the tiles). We've also recently done a lot of travel and co-sleeping as a result. Fighting it while we were away was not worth it.

Today we've only done two (happy to continue 2 through the day for the foreseeable future), and I am aiming to get back to no feeds before 2:30 tonight, and then back to 3 by Wednesday and 3:30 by Saturday. Hopefully after that he'll just not want the night feed.

I've got the added need of getting AF back because I want bub #2. TTC is that much more difficult if you don't even know if you are ovulating!
    @BettyV how are you going with cutting feeds?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're down to two day feeds and had none overnight for the last two nights! It's been hard though. I have had to get dd a cup of milk at about 3am both nights and she's still making her displeasure at my plan known! Tonight is proving to be a disaster. I haven't got her to bed yet. It's been a battle of the wills for 2.5 hours.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    We're down to two day feeds and had none overnight for the last two nights! It's been hard though. I have had to get dd a cup of milk at about 3am both nights and she's still making her displeasure at my plan known! Tonight is proving to be a disaster. I haven't got her to bed yet. It's been a battle of the wills for 2.5 hours.

Thanks for thinking of me.
    Yay!!! I may try the cup of milk for DS and see if that works for us too. He loves it through the day, but I've not tried it at night. Hope it didn't take too much longer to get her down.

I got DS down ok last night. But he was up almost hourly. Evidently he has a sore throat, and developed a nasty cough overnight. He got 3 feeds last night 🙊 but only because he was so miserable and nothing else was working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is a fantastic thread and has come at just the right time for me!

My little girl (14 months) is also boob obsessed and I have to wean her by July so I can start IVF again. Thanks for all the fab suggestions! And congrats to everyone who has BF for so long! 👍