+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Vaccinated child & chicken pox?

Yesterday I received an email from DS's preschool to inform parents that there is a suspected mild case of chicken pox in a vaccinated child at the preschool.

My DS is showing cold-like symptoms and had a rash develop last night on his back. He's still sleeping in bed with DH so I haven't inspected him properly this morning yet.

Has anyone's vaccinated child contracted chicken pox, and if so can you tell me a bit about it?

DS is fully vaxxed so I'm hoping *if* he does have it that he experiences minimal discomfort.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS is vaccinated and had chicken pox just before Christmas. He had been a little out of sort for a day or so before the spots came up, but in no way unwell. I wasn't convinced they were chicken on but I'd heard of a few cases so took him to the GP just to be certain. He had spots all over but they were reasonably spaced out. So not covered like I remember it as a child. The best thing was he wasn't overly itchy and as I said not unwell. I just have Pinetarsol baths which worked a treat. Hopefully it's not chicken pox though

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MummyBic For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Bump - anyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Usually it's milder if they are vaxxed.

In saying that, one of DS's vaxxed friends' entire family had chicken pox at the end of last year, one child had it very mild, the other child had a terrible case of it!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (17-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of my boys got it and he was vaccinated. Didn't feel sick but got quite a few big pox on his legs. He was about 3 at the time, my older boy didn't get it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mumtobodie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS got it despite being vaccinated. It was Very mild and didn't really seem to bother him too much. I think we had to keep him off daycare for a week.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Patience86 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It went through my kid's school in a pretty big way last year...most vaccinated kids had it mildly, a couple got severe cases, but I do wonder if maybe the vax didn't work for them, because they got it really severe cases...more what you'd expect from an unvaccinated child.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

DS's rash is confined to his torso (nothing on his limbs or face), and it's improved this morning, so I'm guessing it's some sort of viral thing Either that or something has irritated his skin.