+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you kill spiders?

Huntsmans in particular?

I have a decent sized huntsman in my house atm. We get quite a lot of them.
    The one I saw this morning was on/in/under my lounge. I tried to spray it but it had hidden by the time I did. Anyway I ended up being late to work due to this bl00dy thing so it came up in conversation, and a couple of people were horrified that I had tried to kill it, and that I should have just left it be, or caught it and brought it outside.
    The reason it's here in the first place is because it wandered in when my mum was here and she always tries to catch and release spiders, but well that was a fail wasn't it, it was too quick and ran under the lounge. So here I am, constantly looking over my shoulder, impatiently awaiting round 3 with this spider...

I just want it gone because my kids freak out. DD in particular can't sleep for hours if she knows there's a spider in the house. I would love to stuff around and catch and release it but really I just need the quickest way to get rid of it, which is usually to kill it.

So... am I cruel? What do you do with your spidey friends?

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Do you kill spiders?

I have just recovered from a week long stakeout with my household hunty. I was amenable to cohabitation as long as he stayed up high/out of sight. He broke the conditions of tenancy and started crawling round my kitchen benches and such.

I don't have spray here (don't get me started) and I get physically ill when I kill spiders any other way. I tried to usher him outside but it just didn't work. I ended up killing him yesterday.

I don't feel great about killing them and when I can I will try and rescue them/get FOB to deal with it. But my arachnophobia is pretty severe and it sucks either way for me tbh.

So no, I don't think you're cruel :-) or else I will stand with you in solidarity as a fellow cruel arachnocidist.

ETA I am almost completely blind without my glasses, but even in darkness sans glasses I can spot two things - DS's discarded dummy and a big old hairy spider. I think it must be some genetic/past life throwback :-)
    Last edited by harvs; 15-03-2016 at 22:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes. I can't stand the things. I'm arachnophobic and the only ones allowed to live are daddy long legs if they stay out of my way. Anything else is marked for murder as soon as I spot it! No way am I leaving them running around so they can jump out and scare me several times a day.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

kim85  (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Spray and squish here ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have when I first met DH but he only kills nasty spiders. Huntsmans and daddy long-legs get to live, the kids have gotten used to this as well and generally name the huntsmans. I'm not particularly fond of the huntsmans when they come closer to, or on, the ground though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I kill them. Spray them then flush them.

Its either that or burn my house to the ground 😨

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Californication  (15-03-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like huntsmen! They catch and eat the cockroaches! So, no, I do not kill the spiders.. I only ever see huntsmen and daddy long legs up here.

But! I used to live in Melbourne and there were red backs around. I killed those. Too risky to have red backs around little kids IMO..

Oh, forgot, my cat doesn't share my thoughts on keeping the spiders alive, she eats them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies so far, makes me feel less mean!

Well it's getting way too late to sit up any longer on spider-watch. So let's just hope he doesn't come and cuddle up to me in bed tonight...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    No we're a catch and release family.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

slemur072  (18-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a kill all creepy crawlies person... Been bitten by spiders twice and I seriously have a phobia... Ninja when I walk thru a web... I have to leave the house till there killed... I couldn't sleep if I knew one was lurking!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ttc1981 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-03-2016)