+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No you don't have to offer them other accommodation and the weeks free rent is an appropriate gesture for their inconvenience - with any natural disasters etc you can give them the right to terminate the lease if they choose but otherwise your lease conditions apply and I would consider this an emergency repair - however tenants do sometimes make it hard when they deny access , which they can so what I would do is get your agent to send them in writing a letter stating :

We are offering you 1 weeks rent free of $700 for your inconvenience and must have access to the property as soon as possible to carry out urgent repairs which will be carried out on xx/xx/xx if access is not granted at this time to allow the appropriate tradespeople entry to the property we will have to obtain a Oder from the tenancy tribunal to allow access , we thank you for your co operation

Then if they still say no you will have to get a tribunal order ( which they will grant because of the circumstances) and then legally you can go in with your keys and do the repairs

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is what you pay your property manager for. It's their job to be on top of this and even if they've never encountered this scenario before it shouldn't take them long to get up to speed and have it sorted.

It's a pita for the tenants that this has happened but it's not reasonable that they expect you to wait until April to have repairs done when more damage is potentially occurring in the interim.

When does the lease expire?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seoul For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (16-03-2016),VicPark  (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Any reason the tenants want you to wait? They are having another baby? Guests visiting from overseas? With a toddler I think it's totally unworkable for then to live their while the repairs are being done. Far too dangerous with tools etc and far too inconvenient with no kitchen. If you know the reason why they are pushing back it doesn't mean the repairs won't get done now it just means you can better empathise with them and maybe come to a mutually agreeable solution quicker.

If you have tenants and landlords insurance that should be able to cover any compensation to the tenant. If they will allow for extra to be given to the tenant - $1,000 as opposed to $700 etc then why not. A total of $700 is not enough IMO to pay for accommodation ($600) plus meals and incidentals for 3 nights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you are being extremely nice. Yes it's a pain but it's not the end of the world. They could set up their microwave and toasted sand which maker in another room and do their dishes in the laundry.
    It was storm damage, just bad luck. Most people renovate houses while they live in them for months on end and manage to survive, they are being precious.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (16-03-2016),Gracie's Mum  (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Any reason the tenants want you to wait? They are having another baby? Guests visiting from overseas? With a toddler I think it's totally unworkable for then to live their while the repairs are being done. Far too dangerous with tools etc and far too inconvenient with no kitchen. If you know the reason why they are pushing back it doesn't mean the repairs won't get done now it just means you can better empathise with them and maybe come to a mutually agreeable solution quicker.

If you have tenants and landlords insurance that should be able to cover any compensation to the tenant. If they will allow for extra to be given to the tenant - $1,000 as opposed to $700 etc then why not. A total of $700 is not enough IMO to pay for accommodation ($600) plus meals and incidentals for 3 nights.
    We'll be speaking to all insurances involves today. They're partially to blame for the repairs taking so long.

The tenants have 1 child. Their gripe is that it's all taken so long, that it's a disturbance to the child & so they want a break for a bit. I think initially the insurance took waaaaay to long to get their butt in gear and then when they did it didn't quite suit the tenant, so they turned the workers away twice.

I kind of feel stuck in the middle.

We were onto it the day after it occurred (happened at 6pm at night, I went to check if they had been injured when I found him with the cat in the house - and we had specified no pets. But we let that slide. Fwiw I didn't enter the property, just came to ask if they were safe because we knew they had the kid).

So Ye, we've said we'd get our own tradies to speed up the process but insurance said no- they want to use their own tradies... then the tenants have turned them away when they have arrived, and now this.

I just want the freaking house repaired!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    I think you are being extremely nice. Yes it's a pain but it's not the end of the world. They could set up their microwave and toasted sand which maker in another room and do their dishes in the laundry.
    It was storm damage, just bad luck. Most people renovate houses while they live in them for months on end and manage to survive, they are being precious.
    Thank you. Wen we lived in the property we changed the bathroom ceiling whilst living there because there was mould sprouting and we stayed in the house. Admittedly the area now affected is much bigger but it's not directly in the kitchen, rather the dining area right next to the kitchen. They could still use it if push came to shove but I know what I'm like and I wouldn't want to be using the kitchen with a massive hole in the ceiling next to me or the dust and mess being around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    We'll be speaking to all insurances involves today. They're partially to blame for the repairs taking so long.

The tenants have 1 child. Their gripe is that it's all taken so long, that it's a disturbance to the child & so they want a break for a bit. I think initially the insurance took waaaaay to long to get their butt in gear and then when they did it didn't quite suit the tenant, so they turned the workers away twice.

I kind of feel stuck in the middle.

We were onto it the day after it occurred (happened at 6pm at night, I went to check if they had been injured when I found him with the cat in the house - and we had specified no pets. But we let that slide. Fwiw I didn't enter the property, just came to ask if they were safe because we knew they had the kid).

So Ye, we've said we'd get our own tradies to speed up the process but insurance said no- they want to use their own tradies... then the tenants have turned them away when they have arrived, and now this.

I just want the freaking house repaired!!!!
    Insurance always takes so long when there is a natural disaster. So so annoying but with the influx of claims plus the unavailability of tradies (due to them all being flat out fixing stuff!) it can be hard.

Can I just say that during the 2011 floods in Brisbane the rental jome we were in was under water (I mean we saw maybe 20cm of the tip of the roof on the news).

Essentially we were 'homeless' for a while. We were lucky we could stay with family for a bit.

If there was less damage to the home and we could stay, we would've just wanted it fixed asap.

Water damage to a roof/ceiling has so many hidden consequences.

I could not imagine letting my child breathe in the mould that would be growing.

Take a few days holiday.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

misho  (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do wonder if they are delaying because that's when they can get a babysitter for their cat?😛

But seriously though,stand your ground, the consequences of waiting are not worth it. You are being perfectly reasonable.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

misho  (16-03-2016),SuperGranny  (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm a long term renter and I find the way they way these tenants are attempting to dictate and be difficult in terms of the repairs quite unreasonable.

I would get the property manager to find out why they want to wait until May to see if they have a valid explanation. If there isn't one, I would follow the advice of @Elijahs Mum and attempt to have the repairs done prior to May.

At the end of the day, this house is your asset and you need to protect it from further damage. Sure it's an inconvenience for the tenants, but these things happen.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If they don't come to the party, you can always breach them for the cat and break the lease. I'd almost be tempted to say in the letter "we also understand that you have an animal reading at the residence which is out of the terms of your lease. We are willing to let this slide on this occasion instead of issuing a breach notice as animals were excluded under the terms of your lease."

I agree it doesn't sound like your PM is that great. I used to be one many moons ago pre kids and I would have hoped no owner of mine would be going onto a forum to find out info that I should know!!! That's what you pay them for. So you don't have to deal with this stuff. I'd be moving agencies, or asking for a more senior PM to be handling your property going forward.