+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    when we were renting, the owner needed to do some major renovations to the bathroom and back of the house. as it was a 1 bathroom place, it was uninhabitable for the duration of the renovations. he waited until we were overseas for 4 weeks and did it then. I wasn't overly enthused at the idea of work men going through the house while we were away and had to have a degree of trust in him that things would he locked up each night etc. but then I rationalized it was his investment and he'd be pretty stupid to not make sure the place was secure each night (the back of the house was rebuilt so we were worried it would be open until the walls and door were back up).

as the renovations weren't complete by the time we got back home, he had to pay for a hotel for us to stay in. he put us up in a quest apartment for the week. I think you'll do better to offer something with kitchen/laundry facilities as the tenants will be able to cook etc and a serviced apartment will be comfier than a single hotel room where they'll need to send out for food, no laundry facilities etc. he even paid extra so we could have wifi in the apartment given we were paying for wifi at home which we were unable to use due to renovations.

also, before the renovations happened and the house needed work, we negotiated a reduced rate of rent to pay. my dh basically fell through a rotten floor patch that collapsed as he stepped out of the shower. so we argued that the house was not in the condition it was advertised in therefore full rent should be reduced. the landlord was very amenable but we did our best to work with him and make his life easier too.

if you need to do repairs to the property I don't see how a tenant can prevent you from doing so. you do need to ensure they're compensated adequately though for the inconvenience. I know the damage isn't your fault but it's quite inconvenient to gave to just relocate whilst your usual place of residence is uninhabitable so you'll need to give him enough incentive to want to play nice.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

misho  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Assistance with tenants please

It's 11pm and I'm half asleep as we discuss, but just speaking to DH, we think we will offer them a week off rent, but we want the repairs done now. We'll give them fair notice, and they can decide what they want to do.

We think that's pretty fair. The rent is $700 and for that money, if the work is only supposed to take 3 days, that's another 4 days extra that we'll be paying for.

I truly do feel for them. They have a toddler and if I was living there I would have moved into mums place whilst they were doing repairs.

I think whAt annoys me is their insurance that they wanted it done in May, and on top of that, I believe they have a cat in the house and haven't disclosed that (separate issue). I haven't mentioned that to the agent but the owner knows I know and yet he's being a dropkick over the repair schedule.

And I really didn't want the cat thing to be an issue. I just want to be fair to each other.

Thanks ladies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you wait like the tenants are asking then will your insurance cover ALL repairs - even if waiting causes more issues?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    If you wait like the tenants are asking then will your insurance cover ALL repairs - even if waiting causes more issues?
    Highly doubt it. And that is my big big issue with it.

Not to mention the duty of care. What if the wiring is wet and electrocuted someone because they wouldn't let us do repairs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    It's 11pm and I'm half asleep as we discuss, but just speaking to DH, we think we will offer them a week off rent, but we want the repairs done now. We'll give them fair notice, and they can decide what they want to do.

We think that's pretty fair. The rent is $700 and for that money, if the work is only supposed to take 3 days, that's another 4 days extra that we'll be paying for.

I truly do feel for them. They have a toddler and if I was living there I would have moved into mums place whilst they were doing repairs.

I think whAt annoys me is their insurance that they wanted it done in May, and on top of that, I believe they have a cat in the house and haven't disclosed that (separate issue). I haven't mentioned that to the agent but the owner knows I know and yet he's being a dropkick over the repair schedule.

And I really didn't want the cat thing to be an issue. I just want to be fair to each other.

Thanks ladies.
    So you wouldn't live in the house (you'd go to your mums) but you expect them to? Honestly $300 isn't going to pay for breakfast, lunch and dinner for three people for three days at restaurants, which is what they would need to do without a kitchen.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Highly doubt it. And that is my big big issue with it.

Not to mention the duty of care. What if the wiring is wet and electrocuted someone because they wouldn't let us do repairs?
    I agree with you. I think its a little ridiculous that they will not allow access for the repairs - I would be freaked out about it and want it done asap!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Assistance with tenants please

Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    So you wouldn't live in the house (you'd go to your mums) but you expect them to? Honestly $300 isn't going to pay for breakfast, lunch and dinner for three people for three days at restaurants, which is what they would need to do without a kitchen.
    No. I don't expect them to!

I'm giving them $700 to use. They have her parents nearby if that's an option for them - which I fully know may not be - or alternatively there are some nice apartments nearby that run at around $180 a night. I know that coz I had family friends stay in them in February. However I also don't want to be paying for the park Hyatt either!

What I do expect is that they allow access to workmen when it's been arranged in advance and that I can fix my house now rather than later.

I'm new at this as well and as I said its 11pm, tomorrow I might think it thru again if I don't think I'm being fair!
    Last edited by misho; 16-03-2016 at 05:41.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Californication  (15-03-2016),Gentoo  (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If they can't use the kitchen for 3 days, then I'm going to change my mind on the accommodation. But a weeks free rent is fair. We had to move out for a week when repairs were done here and got a weeks free rent. Luckily we had somewhere to stay as that wouldn't have covered the cost of a place for the week here!

But for 3 days inconvenience, a week is fair I reckon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. I don't expect them to!

I'm giving them $700 to use. They have her parents nearby if that's an option for them - which I fully know may not be - or alternatively there are some nice apartments nearby that run at around $180 a night. I know that coz I had family friends stay in them in February. However I also don't want to be staying at the park Hyatt either!

What I do expect is that they allow access to workmen when it's been arranged in advance and that I can fix my house now rather than later.

I'm new at this as well and as I said its 11pm, tomorrow I might think it thru again if I don't think I'm being fair!
    I mis-read, I thought you meant rent free for the days the workmen would be there. I think it's fair then. Maybe show them where they can get accommodation for three days with the $700 and then they can't say you didn't offer accommodation.

It is bloody late! Sleep needed all round

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you are one extremely nice landlord and are being more than accommodating!! They have to realise with this sort of damage the repairs can't wait?!? The $700 rent is more than enough to sort something out for a few days while repairs are getting done. Talk about whingers!