+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default School kids + toddler...

Anyone else? Mine are 9,6 and 21mths. 6yo does swimming, dance troupe, tennis, rugby and just finished nippers. 9yo does dance, swimming, gymnastics and wants to take up touch footy.
    I'm finding it all a bit much. I think they have too many activities. Swimming lessons ok as same time so toddler can swim. But others are different times and places and I just find dragging toddler around in addition to the twice daily school runs and somehow trying to fit in homework and downtime for everyone and try and even just chat 1-2-1 with older kids it's like Argh!!! My head is spinning they all want something at the same time and toddler loves to play outside so I find many arvos I'm out there playing with her while older ones are on screens / doing homework / making snacks ie messes....
    Just don't know how to get off the hamster wheel????
    I should say dp often does swim lessons and takes ds to rugby training but it still means only 15mins between dance pick up and rugby to quickly feed him and weekend once rugby matches start up again with swimming that's our Saturday and Sunday mornings filled.
    Dunno what point of this is except wonder if anyone else has similar head explosions going on??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wowsers! There is no way I could keep up with that OP. Aren't your kids tired too? That seems like a LOT of extra curricular.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are you finding its affecting your children's energy levels and/or schooling? Are they behind with their schooling? I knew we needed to change somethings with my girls (aged 9,7,6&4) when they wouldn't wake for school, especially DD1 who wasn't having much time for homework and constantly tired.
    We are now only doing 2 sports each and have 2 nights a week free. My girls seem happier and having more time to be a kid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow. No way in hell my Kids are doing that many activities.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we were kids we were allowed one activity year through, and also swimming lessons. So I did dance all year, and my brothers did seasonal sport. Often my brothers would only do soccer, and I was limited to one kind of dance. We got plenty of family time, plenty of down time, and we definitely didn't feel as though we were missing out.
    If you feel like it's all too much, tell them to pick one or two, and drop the rest. If you'd like them to keep swimming, tell them they can pick one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my little town we don't have things like that, though the school does put on sports for the kids on Tuesday's after school. I only have one at school (6yo) but they also include preschoolers (so my 4 and 3yo) so I'm just left to entertain the 2yo. I find that, along with plenty of "kid time" with their friends on the street is enough.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default School kids + toddler...

Yeah that is just way too much going on. You must be knackered running around like that!! The kids surely would be too?? My DD did gymnastics and soccer last year but since I've had a baby this year she is just doing the one activity as its all too much plus school as well. She needs time to chill out and just play with the kids in the street of an afternoon or have a bit of down time. I don't want to be running around between places either lol. No thanks!
    Last edited by Gracie's Mum; 15-03-2016 at 16:11.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    When we were kids we were allowed one activity year through, and also swimming lessons. So I did dance all year, and my brothers did seasonal sport. Often my brothers would only do soccer, and I was limited to one kind of dance. We got plenty of family time, plenty of down time, and we definitely didn't feel as though we were missing out.
    If you feel like it's all too much, tell them to pick one or two, and drop the rest. If you'd like them to keep swimming, tell them they can pick one.
    Yes, this is what we did as kids and now my kids also have swimming as a non negotiable and one other extra curricular.
    I agree with PP, what you're doing now is a LOT.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    Same here. I did swimming and drama classes. and I was an only child until i was 11!

In high school I did weekend sport too but i had to get myself there and back if necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No way would mine do that much. I find they are hard pressed to get their homework and music practice in. They do one activity each and DD11 does maths tutoring.

By the time they get to Friday they are exhausted.