+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    @Rose&Aurelia&Hannah Thankyou
    I think I will do the picnic rug just wasn't sure if the kids would mind or if it woukd be too messy if I end up having it inside.
    Do u think parents would be ok with standing? I have only about 10 stools. But storage is a real problem as we don't have a garage, just a small shed.
    Can you use your lounge for parents to chill??

And kick the kids outdoors?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oooh I love at home parties!! I agree with PP's, you need to set a theme and then google google google! I have done a princess themed party too btw. The only downside you will have is that it's so far away- too much time to gather more and more extravagant ideas lol!

Just wanted to mention re. parents- most 7yo parties the parents do not stay, it is drop and go. At that age, parents can go and do groceries or whatever. It's also hard with siblings. If you expect the parents to stay, what will you do about siblings? Are you prepared to entertain siblings as well? Cater with extra food, extra prizes, extra party bags?
    I also would say you need to seating for the parents.
    FWIW, if I was made to stay at a child's party, drag siblings along and keep them happy (also some boys are allergic to princess parties), and then expected to stand for 2+ hours, I wouldn't be impressed. Sorry OP.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Cupcake/biscuit decorating is always good for taking up time and providing a good option. Or making their own fairy bread.

By 7 I'm always keen to jettison parents. I wouldn't have seating for them!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (15-03-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I don't have a theme yet as it is still a few months away. Dd has mentioned she likes princesses so most likely will be a princess party.
    Some of my specific concerns are:

1. seating arrangement.
    I don't have enough chairs or tables for kids or parents. Not sure if I should hire for the day or buy. If I buy then I have storage issues. Also if the at home party ends up being too much work I may not repeat it.
    I don't have any family or friends who I can borrow from.

2. Food
    I would like to have food for adults and kids.
    I don't want to spend the whole time in the kitchen cooking. And it's going to be in December so likely to be really hot. Not sure if I should do bbq or do finger foods eg sandwiches, spring rolls, sushi (store bought).

3. Games
    I will prob do pass the parcel, pin the tail on the donkey.
    Will look on pinterest for more ideas.
    Was also thinking of setting up a jewelery making station with beads and elastic for the kids to make and take home.

4. Gift bag/party bag
    Still undecided on whether I will do this. If I do the beading thing then that woukd probably be their gift.

5. Parents
    For 7 yo do parents usually stay or just drop off? I woukd prefer they stayed. Would it be ok to put that on the invite?

Would love more ideas
    I always ask parents to stay and yes put it on the invite and if you know they have siblings ask if they are attending as well so you will have enough food!

I bought kids tables and bigger trestle tables from bunnings as well as chairs years ago and have had heaps of use out of them - they would be easy to sell if you don't want to hang onto them or you could look at hiring but it will be cheaper to buy! Or just get all your dining chairs and outdoor chairs and try and borrow from anyone you know then you should have enough!

For food I do a table of party food and then a table of lunch food - these are some typical things I do and all can be made the day before and just cooked in oven on the day :

Party food table:
    Popcorn
    Dip cups
    Honey joys
    Fairy bread roll ups
    Fruit cups or skewers
    Chocolates coated bread sticks
    Choc or cheesecake filled strawberries
    Jelly cups - usually a few layers

Lunch Table
    Salmon Sausage rolls
    Cheese and spinach puffs
    Baked chicken wings
    Goats cheese and tomato bruschetta
    Mini burgers ( chicken snitzel/Mayo/lettuce)
    Cheese and antipasto platter

For drinks I do a few drink dispensers with homemade lemonade or fruit punches or just buy water bottles or mini lemonade bottles and put birthday labels on them

I always do favour buckets or have a lolly Buffett so they make their own lolly bags on the way out

Some other games we do are:

Treasure hunt - I read out clues and they had to find puzzle pieces then put the puzzle together to reveal where the prize was

Donut on a string on the clothes line - you tie a donut to the end of a string tied on the clothes line , then they have to try eat it with hands behind their backs - first to eat it wins

If it's hot try have some kind of water activity , I bought a water slide/jumping castle from target years ago for $200 and use it a lot !

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So many great ideas!!!
    I would love to have a jumping castle but the layout of the backyard isn't suitable. It's long and narrow and there's a tree stump right in the middle!

I will put parents and siblings welcome to stay and to please rsvp if siblings attending. Hopefully that will help with numbers.

I will have to convince dh to borrow his dad's trestle table, forgot he had one. I think he has some folding chairs too which I can borrow.

If it's hot I might do water balloons and water guns but need to see if dd agrees to this as she doesn't like getting wet lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, just plonk the kids on the grass. At all of mine, they have either sat inside on the floor or out on the verandah. Everyone is different, but I wouldn't stress about seating for adults too much. We always put out chairs and they don't really get used!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Some of my favourite at home party ideas are small bubble containrrs at the beginning, while everyone is arriving. Also a hairspray table when they arrive to have some stripes or glitter- boys and girls alike love it. I also kerp icecream cones up my sleeve for near the end. They as ll line up wait for a scoop and then put some sprinkles on. I use 2 trestle tables for all parties and bench seating. I would precook all food ( including mini sausages etc) and have warming in the oven so you just need to enjoy the party with no cooking. I keep party formalities to a strict 2 hrs, with cake at that point, then people can leave or hang around longer. I think its important to put a time frame on the invite. People can always stay longer though.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps if you have some of it indoors, some helium ballons with ribbon attached look great resting on the ceiling. Eg mixed gelato colours to fill the foyer.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old will she be?
    How many people will you be inviting?

My basic formula for home parties used to be:

1. Set up a craft station for when guests first arrive and you are still waiting for all the guests. Craft was along the lines of decorate your own basket to take loot home in. I had little homemade cardboard baskets for each child then stuff to decorate the baskets with eg stickers / textas / glue / feathers / cut up shiny paper / stamps / other interesting bits and bots. Some years I had beads and elastic for make your own necklaces as well.

2. When everyone arrives start party games eg pin the tail on the donkey (or something to fit the theme eg crown on the princess) / pass the parcel / egg and spoon races / I had a memory game we used to do / whatever else we thought of. Any prizes the kids won in the games went into their loot baskets to take home.

3. Eat

4. free play / more games

5. birthday cake

6. Pinata (then get the kids to put lollies in their loot basket to take home)

7. Open presents if they hadn't been opened already

In terms of your questions:

1. Seating - Kids just stood around a table I had set up under the house. I had chairs out for the parents.

2. Food - I just served finger food that I made the night before. Anything hot was prepared in the morning as much as I could and then chucked in the oven about half an hour or so before I thought we would eat.

3. Games - see above

4. Lolly bag - see above

5. Parents - I found hardly anyone stays for 7 year olds. If you want other parents to stay, you should put it on the invitation.

ETA - My DD went once went to a party where the dad took photos of all guests with the birthday child when they arrived. The photos were then printed and attached to their lolly bags to take home at the end of the party, with a thank you note. I thought it was a nice touch.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 15-03-2016 at 18:17.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Cupcake/biscuit decorating is always good for taking up time and providing a good option. Or making their own fairy bread.
    Yes, we've done that before. Decorate your own pizza as well - although that is something I usually reserve for sleepovers.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (15-03-2016)