+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Birthday parties at home

Just after some ideas and experiences from parents who had their kids party at home.
    Dd will be turning 7 at end of the year but has already mentioned that she wants it at home.
    It's still ages away but I want to know what I am in for lol
    I would put a limit on 10 kids.

After ideas for party games, food, seating ideas etc

Thanks in advance.

Eta: her birthday is in summer and we have a decent sized backyard. We also have aircon so if it's too hot can be indoors.
    Last edited by Jontu; 15-03-2016 at 06:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Birthday parties at home

I've had a few home parties - what's your theme? Then we can plan food/activities and decorations around that! Home parties are really fun as long as your organised! I've already started planning DS 6th Lego party in October here at home , which will test me I'm sure as I'll invite the whole kindy class plus his other friends so I'm looking at about 25 kids 😳
    ( I did my nieces 8th birthday party at my house and we had a Hawaiin pool party theme which was fun, if you don't have a pool you could set up a waterslide or slip n slide)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with setting a theme. What does your DD want? Google is also your friend. When my kids decide what they want, I google for ideas. There's always tonnes from invite to games to decoration ideas.

10 kids won't be too bad. For my sons 6th, we had 14. It's noisy and chaotic, but they have fun and at that age, can mostly entertain themselves.

Apart from theme, my tips would be to block off areas of the house you don't want them going in to, and tell your kid/s constantly the day before. This lessens the mess!! I also wouldn't worry about having a spotless house. I usually clean a couple of days before and then just tidy up, spot mop before so the house is clean, but leave a proper clean until after as there will be food, dirt etc on the floor.

I usually do my cake the day before. Cook in the afternoon, decorate that night. Get any food you can do early done to save the morning rush and try to relax. My first couple, I spent most of my time in the kitchen! Now I've settled a bit and don't go as overboard so I have time to talk to my guests.

Put some decorations up, do games like pass the parcel, musical chairs, treasure hunt and that's about it. I usually do 2 hours for my parties. By the time people arrive, kids run around for a bit and play outside in our play area, have some food, play, cake play and it's done!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Pinterest is your best friend when planning a birthday. Like others said, pick the theme and go from there. Pick food to make ahead of time so you aren't spending the whole time I'm the kitchen. I find 2-3 games is enough plus piñata. I do piñata last and hand out the loot bags out then, so if parents are there, they get that's the party has ended.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AngelicHobgoblin For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've always had parties at home for my kids and they are themed from invitations to food and gift bags. Our smallest party to date has had 35ppl and largest has had 85ppl (adults and kid)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Parties at home can be really fun as you can pick the theme you want and the activities to go with it. Like the other posters, I have also used themes to bring together all the elements of the party, like cake, games, jumping castle, party bags etc. Pininterest has great ideas. I do find that it gets hard to stick to a budget though as there are so many good ideas on the net and I want to do everything.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lifewith2 For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This will be our first year not doing a party at home (I will be 38 weeks pregnant!) I love it! We always have a theme, which makes it heaps easier. Apart from my daughter's party last year (fiesta) I usually just do the normal party food with a few theme related treats. Pinterest is awesome and you can just type the theme in and find, food, decorations, games, invites and activities.
    Have fun!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mumsies For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies. I don't have a theme yet as it is still a few months away. Dd has mentioned she likes princesses so most likely will be a princess party.
    Some of my specific concerns are:

1. seating arrangement.
    I don't have enough chairs or tables for kids or parents. Not sure if I should hire for the day or buy. If I buy then I have storage issues. Also if the at home party ends up being too much work I may not repeat it.
    I don't have any family or friends who I can borrow from.

2. Food
    I would like to have food for adults and kids.
    I don't want to spend the whole time in the kitchen cooking. And it's going to be in December so likely to be really hot. Not sure if I should do bbq or do finger foods eg sandwiches, spring rolls, sushi (store bought).

3. Games
    I will prob do pass the parcel, pin the tail on the donkey.
    Will look on pinterest for more ideas.
    Was also thinking of setting up a jewelery making station with beads and elastic for the kids to make and take home.

4. Gift bag/party bag
    Still undecided on whether I will do this. If I do the beading thing then that woukd probably be their gift.

5. Parents
    For 7 yo do parents usually stay or just drop off? I woukd prefer they stayed. Would it be ok to put that on the invite?

Would love more ideas

Thanks
    Reviews
    1. seating arrangement.

Picnic mats on grass are OK for kids. I hire tables/chairs for more than 50ppl. Otherwise I have enough. I've invested in 3X folding trestle tables and 15X stack able stools from Ikea for parties that I use regularly. I loan mine out regularly in my mother's group. Or try buy swap and sell to borrow some.

2. Food
    I do both adults and kids. I theme the food and additionally always include the usual home made sausage rolls, mini veggo quiches, fruit platter and fairy bread.

Drinks - I set up water jugs for kids with frozen fruit floating it in.
    Adults get tea/coffee/champagne

3. Games
    I will prob do pass the parcel, pin the tail on the donkey.
    Will look on pinterest for more ideas.
    Was also thinking of setting up a jewelery making station with beads and elastic for the kids to make and take home.

4. Gift bag/party bag
    I usually do home made biscuits decorated in bags.

5. Parents
    For 7 yo do parents usually stay or just drop off? I woukd prefer they stayed. Would it be ok to put that on the invite?

Parents tend to stay to mine cos I feed them well.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Rose&Aurelia&Hannah Thankyou
    I think I will do the picnic rug just wasn't sure if the kids would mind or if it woukd be too messy if I end up having it inside.
    Do u think parents would be ok with standing? I have only about 10 stools. But storage is a real problem as we don't have a garage, just a small shed.