+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Very true^^^^ about a diet rich with good fats. Breastmilk is very nutritious but if you have a healthy diet it becomes amazeballs!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @misho that's great advice thank you! A great way of looking at it too- stopping the snacking and giving her decent meals which keep her fuller for longer
    And yes my eating and diet could do with much improvement too

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

misho  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My small baby was premature and came home from hospital around her due date weighing 2.4kg.

She did feed constantly, especially overnight. However, I don't really recall her being any different to her older siblings. She steadily put on about 150 grams per week until she hit 6 months. Her weight gains plateaued around the time I introduced solids. In hindsight that was due to other issues.

I did read an article recently about breast size and the capacity to store breastmilk. The conclusion was that over a 24 hour period women produce similar volumes of milk regardless of breast size. However some women have smaller storage capacity (not necessarily related to breast size), so their babies are getting less at each feed, hence want to feed more often. Women with a larger storage capacity, had more on offer at every feed and their babies often spaced their feeds out more.

I don't have a baby anymore, but upon reflection I would say I fall into the smaller storage room category (eg if I constantly leaked), and only have smallish boobs anyway.

In addition, there can be variations in the fat content of milk between women. I had to express exclusively for my premmie DD. I did notice that the milk I produced didn't seem to have much fat on the top. On the flip side, my SIL said that when she expressed her milk was mostly "cream". Her kids grew at twice the rate mine did eg put on 500 grams per week as newborns.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that her desire to feed constantly may be due to other factors than her size. I did end up breastfeeding my small baby until she was nearly three. She was terrible at eating solids as a toddler, so I just kept on feeding her as I knew she was at least getting something. Actually she has only just recently found her appetite at age 11, until now she has existed on mainly air and has been happy to starve if she didn't like the food on offer.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 15-03-2016 at 12:45.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (15-03-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (15-03-2016),Renn  (15-03-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (15-03-2016),Tiny Dancer  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was 2.8kg at birth. He fed aggressively from day one (still loves his food at nearly 10 and is still small!!!!)

I fed him every 2ish hours for the first few months. My saving grace was he took a bottle and I had enough milk for an army of babies so expressed a freezer full. DH would do a night feed when I was shattered. DS also took a dummy, but when he was hungry the dummy was useless.

He stretched out to 3ish hours from 2-4 months. He also slowly stretched out at night but I was certainly still up to him at 11ish then 3ish at 4 months.

Once he started solids (5 months) the breastfeeding eased. He ate anything and everything with relish. Just a hungry, hungry baby, toddler and kid.

I don't know if any of this is helpful as I know your bub won't take a bottle. But certainly he could last 2 or more hours after he was 2 months old.

Xx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    What SSecret Squirrel said.
    It's not just about the size of the baby. Breasts vary enormously. Some women have very few ducts, whilst others have heaps. Different breasts produce milk at different speeds. Babies feed differently to each others. Some tire easily, some like long feeds, some like short. What matters is what a bub gets across an entire day. If bub has access to the boob whenever needed, then they'll get what they need.

The idea of snacking/meals with breastfeeding isn't really backed up by...well...anything. It might seem like it makes sense, but that isn't generally how breastfeeding works. It's how we, in our culture, WANT it to work...but do keep in mind that we have a very poor understanding of breastfeeding on the whole.

Personally, I'm in the camp of "it won't last forever, but I'll do what I need to to save my sanity". So with our bub, I left the kids with DP and expressed milk when I needed a break. DP did a lot of overnight settling early on. Sometimes it didn't work, and he really DID need a feed, but others he would go back to sleep eventually.

If breastfeeding isn't so important to you though, then you could try mix feeding for a break, or stretch feeds out and see how you go. It may work fine, or it may mess with your supply. If you're okay with that though then it could definitely be worth a try for your sanity. Clingy babies can be so suffocating.

Good luck with whatever way you choose to go

Edit: Sorry, didn't see about the bottle. That makes things harder

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (15-03-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (15-03-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default For those who breastfed/ breastfeeding SMALL babies....

That's really interesting. I am barely an A cup, even with breastfeeding.... People often ask me how I can feed with such non existent boobs. I thought there was no difference though in the amount of milk produced, I also found a fair amount of literature about breastfeeding whilst underweight to show my MIL as she was convinced I didn't have enough nutrients and was pushing me onto formula. One of the motivators to keep breastfeeding for so long was to pee her off.

I definitely need to work on increasing good fats in my diet. I didn't think the composite of milk varied but I know when I pump there is only a thin layer of fat on top. Lucky for me I love avocado and eggs

Eta: yes the bottle thing is a pita. Hence my desperation to stop feeding round the clock. There is no break for me. I honestly can't keep going at this rate for much longer, especially with a 3 yo. First time was hard but now it's impossible. I need to sleep!!!!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 15-03-2016 at 13:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    That's really interesting. I am barely an A cup, even with breastfeeding.... People often ask me how I can feed with such non existent boobs. I thought there was no difference though in the amount of milk produced, I also found a fair amount of literature about breastfeeding whilst underweight to show my MIL as she was convinced I didn't have enough nutrients and was pushing me onto formula. One of the motivators to keep breastfeeding for so long was to pee her off.

I definitely need to work on increasing good fats in my diet. I didn't think the composite of milk varied but I know when I pump there is only a thin layer of fat on top. Lucky for me I love avocado and eggs

Eta: yes the bottle thing is a pita. Hence my desperation to stop feeding round the clock. There is no break for me. I honestly can't keep going at this rate for much longer, especially with a 3 yo. First time was hard but now it's impossible. I need to sleep!!!!
    Omg - people actually say that!?!?!?!

The size of your b00bs have NOTHING to do with how much milk is produced.

I'm so sorry people have said that to you.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was 2.9. At 3 months she was going 4 hours between feeds and then overnight she did one 5hour stretch to begin and then back to 4hrs again.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about the notion of storage capacity? Ive had big babies (3.94, 4.38 & 4.7kg) and need to feed frequently to feed them enough in 24hrs. Sorry i know its not what you asked for but just a different concept...
    Last edited by PinkPopsicle; 15-03-2016 at 15:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All 4 of my girls were between 2.5-2.9kg. My eldest especially fed every 1-2 hours during the day but slept 12-14 hours at night.
    DD2 I couldn't keep up with at all, she just wanted to feed all day long and again slept all night so she went onto formula at 6weeks.
    DD3&4 were BF until 6-7months and fed 2-3 hourly for the first 4 months then spaced out to 4 hourly after.

It can be so exhausting constantly feeding, I did attempt bottles very early on so I could catch a break when I could. Do you think you have a good enough supply? Eating more calories to boost your supply might help?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post: