+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default For those who breastfed/ breastfeeding SMALL babies....

Were you able to space out feeds or introduce some kind of feed/play/sleep routine?
    Were they good sleepers or require many feeds during the night?

The reason I ask is both dd1 and dd2 are small (2.8 and 2.7kg at birth) and I've always struggled to space feeds out to more than a couple of hours with both of them. DD1 fed frequently during the day and 1-2 times a night until I weaned her at 2 years.
    DD2 is now 4.5 months- 5.8kg- and is still feeding all day and all night.
    I wonder if my expectations that she can go a few hours at day without a feed and only once or twice a night is realistic? Or due to her size does she really need it more often?
    Also guides for night weaning/teaching to self settle give minimum weights and dd2 will be nowhere near that for a couple of months.

I'd hate to think dd2 is hungry but I am starting to get resentful how she is always attached to my boob and won't take a bottle or dummy. I cannot be away from her for longer than 2 hours. I need some space and a break with a toddler to entertain too! Plus the night feeds are slowly killing me.

Everyone I know with small babies ended up switching to formula earlier on. DD1 is still a dreadful and fussy eater too (11.7kg at 3 years).

I'd love to hear other experiences for others with small babies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS2 was a little heavier than your daughters at 3kg. But he fed 45-1 hour around the clock until almost 13 months then at least every 2 hours until around 18 months. He was 2 before I would get 3-4 hours between feeds.

Like your DD1 he is almost 3.5 years and weights 12.2kgs. He is an extremely fussy eater - more gets thrown away than eaten and I'm at my wits ends there.

Anyway I was never able to space out his feeds. He was so little and weight gain was slow. When I spoke to Drs, midwives, LC's etc.... All would start off saying 'oh that's too many feeds'. Then they would look at him, weight him, look at his chart and say keep feeding and keep trying to get him to eat more solids (after 6 months obviously).

Hugs. I know how hard it is sort of - I didn't have another young one. I'm 16+3 and hoping desperately this baby will be different. I think it will break me if belly bub feeds the same way while I have to look after DS2 as well.

Sorry I don't have any advice xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you @binnielici your post is very helpful

Wasn't after advice as such just more what others with small babies were doing/have done, and if I should even bother trying to fight a battle if I can't realistically win

I got chastised by the MCHNs about how often I fed dd1 (not my choice!) so I stopped going. My GP is a small woman with 2 small girls, she is fantastic and gives me no grief regarding weigh ins, following a curve etc.

Anyone else?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't have small babies but my second was a voracious feeder. Fed every 2.5-3hrs without fail. I had to night wean her completely to get a break at 15ish months. She was 3.5kg at birth, 9kg at 6mths and 12kg at 12mths. Ate everything in sight but still wanted booby. Now at 3.5yrs old she is 20kg and loses her mind if I don't give her food at 3hrly intervals. It's just her personality. She isn't a fat kid. Just a very very fast metabolism. And she gets hungry. Today she had oats for brekky with dh at 6am then had a slice of toast with me at 7am. Now she is crying for more food. So she is eating a boiled egg at 8am.

I have the opp problem. I get grief from the stupid nurses here in Canberra as dd3 is 8.4kg and still has night feeds. I am supposed to stop immediately?? What rot!

Hugs LMM - your milk is perfect for your baby. Please don't forget that. Some babies are koala babies. And that's OK to feel suffocated. But it will pass.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (15-03-2016),Renn  (15-03-2016),Shebes  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was 3kg at birth. And fed continuously. All day. All night. Sokids = nightmare. He is better at eating now but nowhere near as good as all his friends etc. Be is a little bigger and weights 13kg and he just turned 3 (he has only recently started eating more/better and I think had a growth spurt).

If I tried to refuse day feeds I paid for it at night. So no advice but I know what you mean.

I am expecting similar size for this bub. So... a similar run on events. I am going to try and get bubs onto bottle more this time though.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (15-03-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 2nd was 2.4kg, & was feeding every 2 hours around the clock for the first month (&took an hour to do a feed :0) She slowly spaced them out, & by 4 months she was feeding 3 hourly in the day & going 8 hours overnight - she was 4.2 kgs. I was told by the time a baby is 5kgs they can usually (biologically) go through the nigt without needing a feed - but of course, may want/ need the comfort of it I was giving a bottle of ebm at night which I think helped.
    My 3rd was 2.7 kg at birth, but a lot slower to gain weight - she was 2.6kg at 1 month old after losing a lot of birth weight, & finally hit 3kg at 2 months old. So she was feeding 3 hourly day & night & having ebm top ups at every feed. But again with her by 4-5kgs she was able to space out feeds overnight again.

I would wonder if your bubba is wanting to feed more frequently because she loves the comfort of it, rather than being smaller & actually physically needing the milk so often? Well done on how you are going,it's exhausting feeding around the clock, you've done a great job! Would she take ebm in a bottle to give you a break from time to time if you want one? Or even a syringe feed of ebm? It's only a month or so until solids,so hopefully that might give you a break too xx
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 15-03-2016 at 08:05.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS wasn't quite 3 kg when he was born. I remember he was feeding every 2.5 hours at 6 months and I got grief from the nurses in Canberra over that. I ignored them and just continued on. He was pretty adamant that he got boob now. He would not wait. I think about 8 months it was 3 hourly. At 10 months we were down to 3 a day and 2 over night. He's decided he wants more than that now at 16 months. I'm close to weaning because he chucks a wobbly if I say no. He's not great with food on the days he has more milk.

DS is just over 8 kg at 16 months. He still gets 2 feeds over night (but I'd like to stop that because I'm exhausted. I don't feed him every time he wakes).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is mainly habit. Well for me anyway. dS2 is 8.5kg @ 4.5months and he seems to eat constantly. Loves solids, loves boobie - loves anything in his mouth (except a bottle of course). I'm not convinced he is getting a lot at each feed though, so I am always offering more - but maybe that is detrimental to his night sleeping. I don't know!?!? I'm also worried that if I don't feed often my supply will drop....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Shebes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default For those who breastfed/ breastfeeding SMALL babies....

@Tiny Dancer I started a thread around 15/16 months as dd1 started demanding a lot more feeds- at a time when most bubs don't have any at all! It went from 4 to probably 7 or so feeds during the day.
    I was tempted to wean too, I was completely over it. Man she loved that boob.
    Distraction worked well sometimes. But other than that I just gave up and gave her free access until I weaned at 2- she handled it amazingly well.

Many others that were "extended breastfeeders" encountered the same difficulties.

Thanks for the stories, @Cheesecake I'm sure it's more a comfort thing now- she's used to frequent feeding, just wanted to know that there are small babies out there capable of spacing feeds so I know I can try. There always is that paranoia though about weight gain and supply though.

With dd1 it didn't matter if I had my boobs out all day snuggling but unfortunately the second time around I don't really have that luxury.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 15-03-2016 at 11:07.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    All 3 of mine were under 3kg.

Ds1 was like what you've described, constantly wanted more, he wasn't a big child - I can't tell you when he had a growth spurt, they just never existed with him (wasn't till he had his tonsils out at 4.5 that he actually put stacks of weight on). Anyways I kept going till I wet back to work which was around 8-9 months. I would have kept going but I just didn't have enough milk.

Ds2 doesn't count, he went onto formula for a few issues with my health.

Ds3, he was small but ate like a trooper. I wish all 3 were like him. But I was also a lot more patient with his feeding. By 5 months, he wasn't super big but was a beautiful, chunky-ish boy. No chunky fat rolls, but really healthy and happy. I probably had a different diet with him as well. Healthy fats were my friends, so I was eating lots of avocado and eggs. I fed him till he turned 1.

Just try to enjoy it. Feed yourself well, get good sleep and try to get Bub settled at night so that they are ready for a big feed in the morning rather than snacking all night.

Try to stretch out those feeds to 3-3.5 hours or longer, so that Bub is hungry enough for all the hind milk and not just the watery foremilk.

But also, don't feel like giving up would mean failure, if that's what you choose to do. I beat myself up over ds2 going on formula for 2 years, in the end he is no better or worse off.

Smile & enjoy it! 😘

19. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post: